good help is hard to find !!!

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby Davo on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 5:42 +0000

A few weeks ago my 20 000k old clutch gave it up (told them it wasn’t right). Toyota fixed it under warranty.

Now here's the story

Picked up the truck had to turn the seat belt beeper off (bloody thing) and the trip meter is reset (they must have disconnected the battery)

The day after I picked it up I noticed a rattle pulled over quick look exhaust guard bent and touching the exhaust no worries fixed it up

When the customer feed back form came in the mail I thought id check the truck quickly that’s when I noticed this

There used to be a bolt in there they had snapped the bottom of the bracket and the bolt fell out

Then I noticed this not a big thing but still it wasn't like that the day before

Ok when I picked the truck up it seemed louder but I convinced my self it was in my head so after this I thought id check the rubber boot around the shifter (the bit that keeps the water out) it wasn't in at the back

So by this time I was pissed told them about it they where really nice about it and going to fix it is all good right ? WRONG
Sunday night the missus takes it to the movies comes out about 10pm
friends all go home she drives off goes over a speed hump and its DEAD NO lights NO go NO NOTHING and no mobile phone
any way after calming her down I pop the bonnet and THE F%#KING BATTERY TERMINAL IS LOOSE tightened it up and away we go

Now I don’t blame the dealer for this as they have been very nice while iv been going off and are looking after me for my service but as for the mechanic yea well what can i say
Davo

Postby stressed_au on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 7:53 +0000

do you think they could have been any rougher? looks like you were lucky that they even remembered to put the box back in
stressed_au

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 8:20 +0000

Bugger me... like most big dealerships, they pay peanuts and get the cheapest labour to work on your car... I'd be surprised if the guy was even a qualified mechanic.. I would sack him on the spot if he worked for me... Let us know how you go and if they give you any greif about it... GOOD LUCK Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby Rich on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 9:23 +0000

I hate leaving my car anywhere these days.

When I got my suspension lift, the mechanic left my front left disc brake caliper unbolted. I drove out west and got about 300 km and then went off road looking for a camping spot and it fell off, ripping out the brake lines and I lost all my fluid and had no brakes.

Then another time getting it serviced, the car came back with a big dent and scratch down the side. they fixed it up in both cases but it is still very unprofessional.

I do as much work myself now as I can, so I know it's been done properly.

Davo, what dealership did all that happen at ?

Rich.
Rich

Postby Rich on Sat, 28 Apr 2007 9:28 +0000

Rich

Postby Doug67 on Sun, 29 Apr 2007 1:16 +0000

Davo

I'll take all your problems away for $20K.
Doug67

Postby Danlux on Sun, 29 Apr 2007 7:31 +0000

I had my side steps replaced at the 1000k service because they bent them on the hoist :-) that was a huge Toyota dealership.
Danlux

Postby Brett B on Sun, 29 Apr 2007 8:05 +0000

When I had my suspension fitted I had to take it back twice.

1. they ripped the CV boot, grease was thrown out everywhere, I took it back the next day

2. when they fixed the CV they damaged a diff oil seal, I got home and my poor lux bleed oil oll over the driveway, I was not happy.

I hate anyone touching my cars, in fact no one does anymore I do all the servicing myself.

I have had years and years and years of poor service from workshops, I am so over it.

I tell ya Toyota build a great car, you give these great cars to workshops and they stuff them up near everytime.

I get so pissed about this subject............... not even the local tyre dealer can fit new rubber without stuffing things up

:x :x :x
Brett B

Postby Rich on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 2:09 +0000

Yep, you have to be real carefull where you take your car. That incident with my brakes could have cost me a lot more than a ruined holiday. Maybe there is a lot to be said for just leaving them stock standard !
Rich

Postby jcarter on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 5:41 +0000

whats your experience been like with MK Toyota here in townsville rich?
jcarter

Postby Doinit on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 5:10 +0000

Hi jcarter,

I found MK great!

I picked up my new Hilux in March 06, had the tray & steel cage plus the canvas built in April. Then in early May, hit the rd towing the loaded boat on back rds for 1 & 1/2 days full on driving thru NSW & QLD to Townsville , on my way to Hinchinbrook.

Whilst taking in the great view on the hill in T'ville, the FL end was knocking . . .S&*%, what's that?? :eek: :(

Took it to MK, brand new TD 40mm shock . . . dead! (The LF showed no sag or anything, even with the ARB Winch Bar & Warn winch on board!!) Damn!! What about my well planned dream holiday for 2006? :( Looking @ the setup, the MK is like a production line affair. My brains telling me, don't trust them, you're car's one of many money spinning suckers, they won't care! Look @ the kids working on the cars in all those bays, they're still in nappies for crickey's sake!! :roll:

Guy @ MK 4wd section said no worries, keep going on your holiday, we'll order & fit when you travel back through town.

They were excellent, did the job all under warranty, full days work . . . no cost @ all.

I was so impressed with the service, 8-) that I went up to MK's office & personally thanked the man for the great service from the two guys who looked after my car!

Yeah, I'm real fussy on who services my vehicle too. I travel 950km round trip to Orange to get decent service for my car.

If you do your own service, does that kill your warranty?

Cheers

Doinit
Doinit

Postby oldrev on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 5:59 +0000

my truck hasn't been to the shop since the first free service check i just dop the lot myself i reckon i got more chance of gettin things right than some 1st year apprentice they put on the job.
i done my 40k job just b4 easter i'd like to see just how much they actually do in ther'e allotted time of 1.4 or 1.6 hrs they have in the service booklet.
the front diff filler plug is a good one to get at!!!
i did do gearbox and transfer case as well but.
do they actually check your valve clearances ??? thats the only bit i have not done yet 1. cos ya got pull the lid off 2.i don't know the numbers yet 3 i didn't have the time.
i'll try and finds the stuff in the tech manual and go from there
cheers
ken
oldrev

Postby Rich on Tue, 01 May 2007 4:05 +0000

Hi Josh, MK isn't too bad actually here in TVL. I usually ask for the service manager now and he takes care of it. I did get my car back scratched once, but I later found out that the job it was in for (replace rear seat as it had a rattle)was sub-contracted to a local Auto trimmer and so it was hard to pinpoint who did the damage, but MK payed for repair no arguements (I was upset still as you could imagine). They didn't tell me about it, maybe because they didn't know themselves, so I was lucky I saw it before I drove away. This is the third dealership I have used now, as I moved up here last year from NSW. How has your experience with them been?
Rich

Postby Davo on Thu, 03 May 2007 11:20 +0000

Shocking truck went in tonight they ordered the wrong bracket and the tell me they have to order new clips for the shifter boot so its got to go in again. oh what a feeling
Davo

Postby Dave on Thu, 03 May 2007 11:30 +0000

wish me luck guys my lux goes in for it's 40,000km service tomorrow (thursday) with my local toyota, first time actually, hopefully it'll be all good.

The other times, the decent toyota service guy came out to me for a service, he's been pretty good, probably because I was watching him every second.

Don't let me get started with the mistakes and issues I have had with my Hilux with workshops, the list is too long to type...
Dave
Site Admin

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 04 May 2007 8:41 +0000

How did you go Dave???
Doinit, I believe that if you have your car serviced and stamped by a reputable (read accreditied) WKSP, then your waranty will still be covered... But like most big companies, if they can get out of paying a claim they will,.. if you do the service yourself, you may be opening yourself up a loophole that Toyota will jump through pretty quick smart... especially if they think they can pin the problem on something that MAY have been caused by yourself... I hope this helps, Cheers TOMUCH
TOMUCH

Postby Doinit on Fri, 04 May 2007 9:03 +0000

Thanks TOMUCH,
I'll just have to keep working overtime to pay for the services.
Cheers
Doinit
Doinit

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 04 May 2007 10:05 +0000

I get mine serviced by Toyota at every 10 000kms, and do the 5 000 km services myself... These are not needed unless you are driving over extreme terrain or conditions... Toyota does not need to know about them as they did not even enter the first one in my book... so you can still save a bit of money... Cheers TOMUCH
TOMUCH

Postby Doinit on Fri, 04 May 2007 6:54 +0000

Yes,
Whenever I head out on a long trip, & loaded up, I change the oil & oil filter & note in the vehicle service book the date, km's, oil brand (I stick to one), even the oil filter no., as there are two "genuine" oil filter no.s available. Sheesh, I'm pathetically pedantic with my baby!
Cheers
Doinit
Doinit

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 05 May 2007 4:31 +0000

Didn't know there were two filter numbers... does that mean they will both fit.. or is one different from the other to the point they are not interchangable....??? TOMUCH
TOMUCH

Next

Return to Servicing