Steps taken to change fuel filter

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby bj343 on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 1:06 +0000

Hi all, comming up to 5k and looking to change the fuel filter but being mechanically challenged, I was wondering if someone could point out the steps taken to change one before i attempt it and stuff it up
Regards Brian
bj343

Postby Macca on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 1:20 +0000

I need to learn this as well. Was going to get Toyo service guys to show me next service. Real important to be clean, and dirt or dust could be a disaster.
Macca
Macca

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 3:32 +0000

well... the fuel filter is easy to change, the thing though is athat toyota recommend that it IS NOT CHANGED.. which still seems strange to me..

its pretty easy though.. the whole canister is only clipped onto a bracket and will come off very easily.. you can either unplug all the electrical connectors and take off the two hoses and remove the whole thing .. or just uncrew the top while it is in position.. (its easier to take out though if you want to drain it and clean the bottom of the canister out)..

then simply change filter and reverse everything you did ;)

make sure you remember to re-prime it again afterwards though, otherwise she wont start as there'll be no fuel in there..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Doug67 on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 9:47 +0000

I did not need to prime mine, only done it once.
Doug67

Postby TOMUCH on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:17 +0000

Here are some simple instructions.. IT is easier to remove the filter completely to carry out this service.
1. Disconnect the warning switch connector.
2. Move the clip to disconnect the hose connected to the filter outlet side.
3. Connect a hose to the drain c**k. Place the other side of the same hose into a container.
4. Loosen the drain c**k to drain fuel (approximately 50 cc (3.0 cu in.)).
5. Tighten the drain c**k.
6. Using a screwdriver as a lever, loosen the fastener nut until it can be loosened by hand.
7. Fully loosen the fastener nut by hand.
8. To remove the cap, pull up one side of the cap and then lift it off.
9. Remove the filter element from the case.
10. Remove the case side O-ring.Attach 2 new O-rings to a new element and a new O-ring to the case.
11. Install the element to the case.
12. Align the cap's mark and case's mark.
13. Push the cap into the case by hand.Clearance (A):1.5 mm (0.059 in.) or lessHINT:The clearance between the cap and case should be even around the entire circumference of the cap and case.
14. Turn the fastener nut until a "click" sound is heard.HINT:Just before the marks of the case and nut align, the turning difficulty of the fastener nut will increase. Use a screwdriver as a lever to turn the fastener nut.
15. Measure the distance between the marks on the cap and case, and the clearance between the cap and case.Distance (A):1 mm (0.039 in.) or moreClearance (B):1 mm (0.039 in.) or less16. Connect the hose to the filter outlet side and install the clip as shown in the illustration.17. RESET FUEL SYSTEM WARNING LIGHT Turn the ignition switch ON.After turning the ignition switch ON, connect the warning switch connector within 3 to 60 seconds.Check that the combination meter's fuel system warning lamp turns off.

[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/tomuch_01/?action=view¤t=6c3e2036.pbw][/URL]

Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 8:17 +0000

only reason you need to prime it is if you drain the fuel out of the canister to clean the canister.. then you'll need to prime it..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Macca on Tue, 12 Feb 2008 10:01 +0000

Thanks Mark, Have cut & pasted so it is in my trip folder for emergency if needed.
Macca
Macca

Postby bj343 on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 3:26 +0000

thanks tomuch, now just have to get it into my thick head lol.
Brian
bj343

Postby Wade on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 4:11 +0000

When you guys replaced the filter. Did you buy an aftermarket or Toyota filter?
Wade

Postby Doug67 on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 6:00 +0000

Toyota, and have three spares on hand. Why bother risking an after market filter!!!!!
Doug67

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 6:19 +0000

yep.. toyota here too.. they're cheap.. get a couple :)

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 7:19 +0000

Yep .. at about $25 - 30 They are cheap insurance ... I always travel with at least one now.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby Wade on Wed, 13 Feb 2008 9:10 +0000

thanks guys, i might buy some spares for insurance.
Wade

New Fuel Filter Replacement Interval

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:56 +0000

Just bumping this up and to let all your D4D owners know that from the start of this year, all Hilux Service Books have been changed to require you to change your Fuel filter every 40,000km's instead of the 80,000km it used to say prior to 2010 build vehicles.

Regardless, its a cheap part to replace and I do mine every 20,000km along with the air filter. and every 5,000km service I drain the fuel filter bowl to get rid of any possible contaminants sitting there.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Steps taken to change fuel filter

Postby tasibrett on Wed, 30 Jun 2010 5:57 +0000

I got taught not to change fuel filter just for the sake of it. The theory being the filter medium is made larger because it will swell when fitted, as such when first fitted it will not work correctly.
To overcome this we always when posible have the filter soaking in some diesel so it is already swollen when fitted.
Also still change fuel filter every C service (12 months)
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 6:29 +0000

tasibrett wrote:I got taught not to change fuel filter just for the sake of it. The theory being the filter medium is made larger because it will swell when fitted, as such when first fitted it will not work correctly.
To overcome this we always when posible have the filter soaking in some diesel so it is already swollen when fitted.
Also still change fuel filter every C service (12 months)

I've Hurd of the soaking of fuel filters, but I can imagine that it would really be that ineffective as a brand new filter, I wouldn't take long at all for it to "swell" I wouldn't think. Reguardless after all the horror I've read on here I'll be getting a secondary fuel filter with glass bowl. As I posted elsewhere my local Toyota dealer in emerald fit them to mine spec hilux's themselves. Gunna get them to do mine when my lux arrives, and I'll be changing my fuel filter every 5000km with all the other filters. Cheap insurance
NimrodAUS

Postby Bullzye on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 6:39 +0000

NimrodAUS wrote:
. As I posted elsewhere my local Toyota dealer in emerald fit them to mine spec hilux's themselves.

Sidenote I herd the toyo dealership in emerald is closing down is this true?? I know that nissan and holden are all ready gone.
The funniest part about you reading my signature is that by the time you read the whole thing from start to finish you only then realise there is nothing interesting in it.
Bullzye

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 7:15 +0000

I highly doubt it, they have just taken on volxwagon and are Mitsubishi as well, and great wall, they have a very busy dealership with two outlets one new car and one used car, owned now by black Toyota, they also purchased the old (huge) ford dealership which they keep ship loads of new cars, and where they do all the fit outs now, again a hugely busy dealership in the heart of Queensland mining boom, I really doubt it, you might be thinking of Springsure Toyota which has pretty much rolled down to an oil change facility. Can't see it happening, they are a very big dealer, and pump out the cars, they have every amorock you could want and prados 200 series and VDJ76's everywhere. They have a hell of a lot of new toyotas out there, just not a tidal blue sr5 td manual dc :-( as for Nissan, as anyone in the "country" knows, they are crap. Crap crap crap. Maybe a new one in perfect nik would be nice, but when something goes wrong and it usually does, you can't get anything for them. Ie: patrol wheel bearings, Nissan have the hardest time trying to work out which bearing is in which car, vin doesn't help, d40 drive belts, several different ones, can't tell ya, depends on what factory it was built at and when, then oh you guessed it, none in the country. After market anything, pftt forget it, doesn't fit or they don't make it, or no stock, I've worked as a parts inturprator (can't spell) dealt with it all, need a seemingly common part, ex Japan, sup gasket, ex Japan, and expensive, gu patrol mirror $500 no aftermarket, Nissan dealer network is hopeless, and there parts system is so complicated they can't even work it out, and when it's 500km to anywhere you can afford to have break downs and especially ones that your waiting weeks for a simple part. Ian weigh toyota in Rockhampton have absolutely anything for landcruisers and hilux, I swear they must just have everything to build one in parts, I'm not joking, roofliner no worries, dual tank soloniods no problem, I could go on forever, needless to say, Nissan crumbled out here because they are an inferior product with terrible support. There might be some good dealers out there that heaven forbid actually keep fan belts instock but you can access them if your not there they don't seem to cooperate or share. I can log into toyota microcat (dealer login) their parts system, web based, and so easy and awesome, get price and availability. And it's not just new stuff but hell old models, you can still get stuff for. Try getting anything for an old Navara, you can't. As for ford, well an fbv dealer to boot, December 2010 they let every car go underwater, they knew, everyone knew, everyone moved there stock they let it all go ( big insurance thing) (even one of them flash rs focus, and a new mustang) never opened their doors after that. All gone. So that's what I know. Oh and Mitsubishi have very ordinary parts supply too, I guess it's all about numbers, 95% of the cars out here are toyotas and 98% of those are of the landcruisers (all stables) or hilux. So their you have it. Hilux ftw. Rant over
NimrodAUS

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 7:26 +0000

Edit: Holden aren't gone, they are strong as. They are a dealer for something else too can't remember what. Nissan have been gone for years, then ford took them up(weird I know) then they ditched it and ford took Isuzu dmax up, then lost the lot. Holden and Toyota dealership are the only two left with there respective add ones, it's crazy I was half keen on the amorock and walked into the dealer and ended up getting the hilux which I have to wait god knows how long for when I could have had my choise of about 6 amorocks ( all boring as f$@#&% colours). The dealer himself not in so many words talked me out of the amorock, he said basically, see how they go over a few more years. Springsure motors, apparently the oldest Toyota dealer in QLD ?? Was also a big Holden dealer too, they lost Holden a while ago and new car toyotas as well. They are now part of black Toyota as well. I don't know how it all works. Whatever happens I know Ian weigh in rocky will be there as they are massive in everyday and r Lexus and hino to boot. I was Gunna buy from them again as I got my kluger from them but decided to do the right thing and shop local
NimrodAUS

Postby NimrodAUS on Wed, 28 Mar 2012 7:28 +0000

Bullzye wrote:
NimrodAUS wrote:
. As I posted elsewhere my local Toyota dealer in emerald fit them to mine spec hilux's themselves.

Sidenote I herd the toyo dealership in emerald is closing down is this true?? I know that nissan and holden are all ready gone.

Out of curiosity where did u hear that? R u a local? Haha
NimrodAUS

Next

Return to Servicing