Auto box Oil change?

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Auto box Oil change?

Postby Juddian on Mon, 05 Nov 2007 2:33 +0000

Hi fellas and girls.

Just wondered i know its a while yet for me, but what sort of maintenance are you giving to the auto gearbox.

I've always changed my auto box and torque converter fluid at about 30.000 miles or so including the oil strainer filter.
Now i know a lot of manufacturers say their auto boxes are sealed for life but we all know thats bollox, so what are you lads doing.

Also is checking the oil level the same as most older cars ie. gear oil warm, engine running box in park?

One other question when we first got the lux, i thought the box had a fault, cos it would drop out of overdrive into 3rd under the slightest power increase, but it seems to have settled down now.
Has the box 'learnt' how we drive or has it just bedded in.
Or is another bit of proof that i'm losing the plot?

Forgot and just chucked in an edit.
Have any of you fitted an engine oil pressure guage, cos i miss not having one. Did you find a kit or did you do it your own way?

All the best for now

Judd the pom :) ;)
Juddian

Auto box Oil change?

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 05 Nov 2007 3:05 +0000

My 2006 Hilux is approaching 40,000kms.

My next service at 40,000kms will include a ATF oil change.

As far as I know, the Hilux ATF oil pan is sealed and we can't change the oil strainer if there is any.

Yes, checking the ATF oil level is done with gear box warm and engine running with gear in 'P'.

However, my ATF has an aftermarket Permacool cooler which is from the USA. I installed it 2 months after getting the Hilux as I had the ATF oil indicator lamp come on when going up steep hills. After installing the cooler, there has been no issues at all.

I also notice that during a long 10 hour drive, the ATF oil on the dipstick is lukewarm only with the cooler even though the ambient temperature is 37 degrees Celsius with very high humidity!

As to the question on the overdrive (4th) shifting to 3rd, maybe the gearbox was still new at that stage in time.

Yes, I miss the oil pressure gauge in the Isuzu Bighorn & Land Cruiser Bundera. I do not have a oil pressure gauge in the Hilux and I believe many of us here also do not.

I do however have a pyrometer and turbo boost gauge. In addition to that I also have a VDO voltmeter which was not installed as there just wasn't enough space!
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Auto box Oil change?

Postby felix on Mon, 05 Nov 2007 8:43 +0000

I recently had the 40k service but the auto oil doesn't get changed, the diff oil does though. Have a close look at your owners manual, it may differ for different countries though.
felix

Return to Servicing