Toyota Feedback-Injector seal leak & screen clogg

Discussion on servicing, engine oils, gearbox oils, diff oils etc

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 22 May 2012 6:13 +0000

Guys some Important feedback regarding Injector seal leaks that can lead to Oil pickup Screen clogging & engine Failure.

I have been recently advised by a Toyota representative that in Australia, as is the case in New Zealand, It is a requirement that service agents "must" change Injector seals at every Tappet clearance check Interval. apparently they say this is a documented proceedure since Toyota advise to effect the tappet clearance check, the Injectors "must" be removed, and the seals then replaced.

I am not sure exactly when this requirement entered into the normal proceedural documentation and process. Comment Please?

In Australia, the Tappet clearance check is at every 40,000 KLM, as opposed to NZ which is every 45,000 kLM.

I would imagine then that since the SIlver plated washers replaced raw copper, with a part number change, from 11176-30011 from the superceeded 11176-3010, and have been in use since Early 2008,

Then if you find copper washers on your injectors in these later years, then it is an indicative sign that these have not been replaced according to Toyota noted proceedures they refer to, or that they have been replaced with inferior superceeded inventory?

In this case if you have had an engine problem or failure, and it is related to an Injector leak, like the Oil pickup clogging issue, and it appears your seals have not been changed, (colour being one indicator) then it stands to reason your vehicle was may not have been serviced according to what Toyota state is their standard service proceedure. If so, and if was performed by an authorised service agent, you may have a claim back to the service agent according to this stated position.

I would value feedback from Owners & service agents in respect to thier opinion on this stated position, and as the wether they feel this is correct.

Looking at the current service proceedures for tappet clearance checks, it does specify seal replacement. Have Toyota made this clear enough? I would ask people to comment.

Grog Frog
grogfrog

Postby toyboata on Tue, 22 May 2012 6:48 +0000

If this is such a big issue and is in many cases leading to engine failures then I would hope and expect that Toyota Australia issue a total recall on all affected vehicles like they have done with reference to tailshaft centre bearing supports and bullbar mounts.
It is not part of regular service procedures listed in the service manual to replace these seals so everyone who owns an affected vehicle should be made aware of the issue. Not everyone gets their vehicle services at Toyota agents and nor do they have to. I own a mechanical workshop and perform better work than many Toyota dealers and authorized agents out there. I will never have my Hilux serviced by Toyota but would expect them to replace these seals as part of warranty program if my vehicle is one that is affected.
The possibility of complete engine failure because of some shitty $2 washers is a scary prospect and if Toyota are to retain their reputation with their 'UNBREAKABLE' Hilux then they should be recalling every vehicle, whether under warranty or not and replace these parts, as no where have I ever seen any mention by Toyota of a need to replace them.
toyboata

Postby dirtyharry on Tue, 22 May 2012 6:49 +0000

I think I'll be checking to see if my local steelers having been doing this!
dirtyharry

Re: Toyota Feedback-Injector seal leak & screen clogg

Postby grogfrog on Tue, 22 May 2012 9:28 +0000

toyboata wrote:If this is such a big issue and is in many cases leading to engine failures then I would hope and expect that Toyota Australia issue a total recall on all affected vehicles like they have done with reference to tailshaft centre bearing supports and bullbar mounts.
It is not part of regular service procedures listed in the service manual to replace these seals so everyone who owns an affected vehicle should be made aware of the issue. Not everyone gets their vehicle services at Toyota agents and nor do they have to. I own a mechanical workshop and perform better work than many Toyota dealers and authorized agents out there. I will never have my Hilux serviced by Toyota but would expect them to replace these seals as part of warranty program if my vehicle is one that is affected.
The possibility of complete engine failure because of some shitty $2 washers is a scary prospect and if Toyota are to retain their reputation with their 'UNBREAKABLE' Hilux then they should be recalling every vehicle, whether under warranty or not and replace these parts, as no where have I ever seen any mention by Toyota of a need to replace them.

G'day Toyboata,

Mate, my sentiment exactly. I wish I could say otherwise but this is the line being comunicated to me at this time on this issue. I must admit that at this point I feel they need to share the load on this one with the blokes trying to deal with this new reality at the coal face.

More and more customers are going to get smart and refuse to cough up $15,000-$18,000 on a new donk if they learn the failure could have been caused by the now well known leaky $2.00 injector washers.

I think Toyota should definately communicate the need to replace these more clearly than they have since it seems no one knows about this need other than Toyota and a few customers who have taken the time to work out why their donks prematurely expired.

Grog Frog
grogfrog

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 22 May 2012 10:09 +0000

I do need to ask Grog frog.
How do you adjust the tappets on a D4D...
Tappet clearance.. Whats the gap...
Skog07

Postby Bushbound on Wed, 23 May 2012 3:14 +0000

I spoke to my local diesel guy and he said all the Japanese common rail diesels have similar problems and he carries a full set of washers, o rings etc for each brand in his spare parts.
grogfrog wrote:The possibility of complete engine failure because of some shitty $2 washers

The washers are about $60 each, so relax it will be the failure of a grossly overpriced, underperforming part that can possibly cause a complete engine failure.
I am in the process of arranging to have the washers changed in my engine before heading across to WA in September, will drop the oil and check the pick up before I drive it again.
Geoff
Danger is natures way of eliminating stupid people.
Bushbound

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 7:08 +0000

Skog07 wrote:I do need to ask Grog frog.
How do you adjust the tappets on a D4D...
Tappet clearance.. Whats the gap...

G'day Skogy,

The clearance spec. is published, so is the full proceedure, My understanding in summary is that to adjust it you have to change out what I would call the "whole lifter". But they call the whole lifter a shim. So a heap of different Lifters or shims are available to set the required clearance. Every mechanic I speak to tells me they just don't need to remove the Injectors to do this, This makes sense to me, but Toyota tells me it is a requirement to remove injectors, and thats, I imagine, where they are expecting the seal repalacement requirement to be captured, every 40,000KLM.

I feel a massive differing opinion exists here between service agents and Toyota, thus it is clear that the proceedure is very unclear. Who's fault is that?

Grog frog
grogfrog

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 7:12 +0000

Bushbound wrote:I spoke to my local diesel guy and he said all the Japanese common rail diesels have similar problems and he carries a full set of washers, o rings etc for each brand in his spare parts.
grogfrog wrote:The possibility of complete engine failure because of some shitty $2 washers

The washers are about $60 each, so relax it will be the failure of a grossly overpriced, underperforming part that can possibly cause a complete engine failure.
I am in the process of arranging to have the washers changed in my engine before heading across to WA in September, will drop the oil and check the pick up before I drive it again.
Geoff

Hi Bushbound, It was Toyboata that called the seals "shitty" not me, although the evidence would suggest he is not too far from the most appropriate terminology!

A full set of new washers is about $30.00 I think..plus labour.\\Good luck with the Screen Bushbound.

Regards

GFrog
grogfrog

Postby Wing on Wed, 23 May 2012 8:29 +0000

It is quite obvious that the valve clearance can be checked without the injectors being removed. In most situation I would bet the mechanic would just check by listening without even touching the engine.

Luckily( or unluckily) I have my injectors replaced under warranty in 2010 and hopefully they would install the updated washers.
Wing

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 3:47 +0000

Wing wrote:It is quite obvious that the valve clearance can be checked without the injectors being removed. In most situation I would bet the mechanic would just check by listening without even touching the engine.

Luckily( or unluckily) I have my injectors replaced under warranty in 2010 and hopefully they would install the updated washers.

You hit the nail on the head Wing, I think my TMC contact might be getting confused between valve clearance checks & valve clearance adjustments don't ya think?

Great to get feedback on this line and we will see where it all ends up!

Grogfrog
grogfrog

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 23 May 2012 6:04 +0000

Grog frog.
Here is my warranty and service manual for the 120000k service. It mentions the valve clearance check in the tick off box in the diesel models.. Mine is an 07 model..
Also note the red writing on top of the slip..
Check the Toyota on-line system for any outstanding manufacturer service campaigns
Ive also read (on here) that once the odo clicks over 150000ks the timing belt needs to be replaced and a light on the dash appears T-BELT but the 150000 or 160000 service never mentions it... So there are variances.
I do wish you the very best on your situation and thankyou for bring it to the attention of all newhilux members.
Prevention is always better than a cure.
Regards
Mark
Skog07

Postby toyboata on Wed, 23 May 2012 6:42 +0000

Who knows exactly what year/models are affected? Is it all with the 1KDFTV or just up to certain build date ?
toyboata

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 7:41 +0000

Skog07 wrote:Grog frog.
Here is my warranty and service manual for the 120000k service. It mentions the valve clearance check in the tick off box in the diesel models.. Mine is an 07 model..
Also note the red writing on top of the slip.. (refer original post for image)
Check the Toyota on-line system for any outstanding manufacturer service campaigns
Ive also read (on here) that once the odo clicks over 150000ks the timing belt needs to be replaced and a light on the dash appears T-BELT but the 150000 or 160000 service never mentions it... So there are variances.
I do wish you the very best on your situation and thankyou for bring it to the attention of all newhilux members.
Prevention is always better than a cure.
Regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your pic mate. Because I have been told by TMC that the seal change should be undertaken every 40,000KLM with the tappet service requirement in your service book, It raises the question, what are the defined service proceedures for a valve clearance "check" vs a valve clearance "adjustment", and do Toyota actually require the Injector seal washers to be changed at every "check" interval, or only if "adjustment" is required. If it is only when adjustment is required, Then this does not necessarily mean a service agent must change the seals on a clearance "check", although I fear that the responsibility to change these seals every 40,000klm is going to be pushed down to the service agents. This is more clearly defined in NZ service docs.

Can anybody clear this up in respect to the actual current Toyota proceedures issued?

Looks to me like an Injector seal change might be just as Important as the Timing belt change in respect to preventing a major catastrophic engine failure down the line!

Does anybody have information on a service bulletin issued for this particualr 120,000 service?

Grog frog
grogfrog

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 7:59 +0000

toyboata wrote:Who knows exactly what year/models are affected? Is it all with the 1KDFTV or just up to certain build date ?

G'day Toyboata,

You may have already found this in a post search but to help you quicker, this link will assist in identifying known effected models OS:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/1KET-015.pdf

Grogfrog
grogfrog

Postby Steve9R on Wed, 23 May 2012 8:17 +0000

As Mark said though.. Toyota have covered themselves in all situations by including the line

"Check the Toyota on-line system for any outstanding manufacturer service campaigns"

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 9:37 +0000

Steve9R wrote:As Mark said though.. Toyota have covered themselves in all situations by including the line

"Check the Toyota on-line system for any outstanding manufacturer service campaigns"

Steve

Hi Steve,

Are you aware of any particular service campaigns regarding issues around Injector leaks, Screen cloggs etc. I feel we need to be aware of campaigns currently running that effect owners & their vehicles.

I understand "Service campaigns" are actual campaigns to address issues and responses to issues that appear during product rollout, and different to simple service manual updates & updated material that I think you may be refering to?

Love to get some feedback on any new matter in this area.

Gfrog
grogfrog

Postby toyboata on Wed, 23 May 2012 9:54 +0000

grogfrog wrote:
toyboata wrote:Who knows exactly what year/models are affected? Is it all with the 1KDFTV or just up to certain build date ?

G'day Toyboata,

You may have already found this in a post search but to help you quicker, this link will assist in identifying known effected models OS:

http://www.toyota-tech.eu/toms_cabs/EN/1KET-015.pdf

Grogfrog

Thanks for that grogfrog.
Looks like mine is unaffected luckily but to be sure I will discuss it next time I'm at Toyota. Not that I ever go there but I need a new steering rack already(only 40k on clock) as mine is full of water and rusting.
I wonder if this bulletin will be circulated around Australia and result in all owners of affected vehicles being sent notification via first class mail as stated in the bulletin in that link?
toyboata

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 23 May 2012 9:59 +0000

Grog,

do you know if when the injectors are replaced under warranty (DLC), do they check the tappets or is this a seperate activity?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby grogfrog on Wed, 23 May 2012 10:09 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Grog,

do you know if when the injectors are replaced under warranty (DLC), do they check the tappets or is this a seperate activity?

Hi Max,

Mate I reckon it would be an excelent time to do it. "A Check" since your half way there.

Max do you know of any service bulletins on this injector seal thing in OZ?

P.S. Max, congratultions On your mega contributions! That is a wonderful achievement and an amazing record of your interest in these Vehicles. I share your enthusiasm and like mindedness on vehicles that can make life so much more fun!!

GrogF
grogfrog

Postby Wing on Thu, 24 May 2012 7:14 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:Grog,

The component diagram shown in the following link says that the seals are non re-usable. Seals should be changed if injectors have been replaced.

http://toyota.esealtd.com/toyota/hilux/ ... 0000x.html
Wing

Next

Return to Servicing