2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: 2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

Postby Flava on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:05 +0000

Well with all this talk and my new land cruiser arriving soon i went down to my local toyota and asked about water in the fuel.

Turns out Toyota's excuse is they didnt put the water in the fuel, and even though they put measures there to stop any damage, it isnt there fault if there is damage. But if you have the receipt from the fuel station you filled up at, Toyota will chase them for the replacement engine.

Interesting though, i hit them up about warranty and the water trap fuel filters. Turns out there is a water trap Toyota now endorse and having one fitted by Toyota means no affect to your warranty.

So perhaps its worth getting one fitted for those that haven't.
Flava

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:25 +0000

Flava have you got anymore info than that?
I just rang my local Dealership and they have no idea of any endorsed by Toyota. They went through the computer for updates on Landcruiser as well and have no idea.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Flava on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:31 +0000

Na sorry Kyle, i was abit lax on part numbers. Im due for a test drive tomorrow so i will go in and chase up the part number for you guys.
Flava

Postby wasn on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 5:33 +0000

Wow after reading the last 5 pages. I can say that the dealership and service people that sell Toyotas here should go and neck themselves. Their representation of private and individual buyers are non existent. We buy a few Toyotas and do get a priority treatment, but I do feel the pains for all involved. We have bough cars from various brands in the US and I can categorically say that the moment you have and issue there, The service manager comes out swinging a baseball bat on your behalf. Because they see works and happy customer. I just dont get it. Abeit the work is not full rate, but what you get is a customer who will lay his words on the line for the brand and dealership.
The dealership here has alot to learn and I believe its the Koreans and Chinese that is going to teach them that invaluable lesson as the Japanese did in the US to Ford-Chev.
You think they learnt from the tracks they laid else where.
wasn

Postby bardenboy on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 6:56 +0000

The next time you are at your Toyota service dept ask them for the the replacement page 2-6 for your service manual, it now has the fuel filter diesel engine replacement interval shown at every 40,000km. So I am sure Toyota are working on the issue.
I could never under stand why in the Prado D4D they changed the fuel filter every 40,000km and yet in the Hilux it was suppose to last the life of the car.
I think installing the inline fuel water trap with alarm is the only way to go if you want to protect your engine from water damage, The common rail engines are a great improvement over the old diesels but way to expensive to fix

Dennis
D4D SR5
Great truck
bardenboy

Postby BMC35 on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:05 +0000

If Toyota diesels vehicles are vulnerable to impurities in fuel, then they should be offering their own 'genuine' Toyota diesel. As with their spare parts maybe this will keep 'the feeling'...
BMC35

Postby Stevo2768 on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:12 +0000

10K,

excellent write up mate, if only that would be published in some major national news papers, it might be the big wake up call Toyota needs.
2012 Ranger XLT D/C 3.2 Auto
2007 Single cab D4D Auto
1990 80 Series Cruiser 1HZ

I'm not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.
Stevo2768

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:38 +0000

BMC35 wrote:If Toyota diesels vehicles are vulnerable to impurities in fuel, then they should be offering their own 'genuine' Toyota diesel. As with their spare parts maybe this will keep 'the feeling'...

They do sell genuine toyota diesel.

Its what Ive used from the very first day until now each service without a problem.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:45 +0000

Great writeup 10K.

agree with ya.....why dont you explain the exact circumstances of the second engine malfunction?

Im sure many would be proud of you and the hilux....even thou in the end it did come off second best :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Loosey on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:50 +0000

I agree with everyone above Matt, great write up...

Perhaps people should get ACA involved, they might like the story title "Toyota: Not so Unbreakable"...

Then again, they are probably sponsored by them... :roll:
Aaron

Introductory Thread | My Shed | My Build
2007 Silver SR5 D/C D4D Upgrade
Loosey

Postby jackolux on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 8:20 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:
BMC35 wrote:If Toyota diesels vehicles are vulnerable to impurities in fuel, then they should be offering their own 'genuine' Toyota diesel. As with their spare parts maybe this will keep 'the feeling'...

Its what Ive used from the very first day until now each service without a problem.

Genuine Toyota diesel , your kidding aren't you .
jackolux

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 4:53 +0000

No im not.....its been around for atleast 5 to 6 years. Look into it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby 10K on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 6:58 +0000

Qwerty wrote:Thank god I went the 1GRFE then!

Btw 10k, they are honouring the clocksprings , had mine replaced out of warranty (by several years) ... after almost abusive driving down horrid corrugations. I suspect that was due to it being a safety issue, some government organisation ordered them to do it, I suspect.

Thats good news on the clock spring, they wouldn't warrant mine about 2 years ago. I payed about $250 from a wrecker from memory to get a new one... it's gone again so I might see if Toyota are willing to come to the party?

Hilux Max wrote:Great writeup 10K.

agree with ya.....why dont you explain the exact circumstances of the second engine malfunction?

Im sure many would be proud of you and the hilux....even thou in the end it did come off second best :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Perhaps another day and another thread... It's quite a story and one I'll probably need a few cups of courage to re-tell as it's an expensive story with some painful memories... not without it's highlights though :lol:

Loosey wrote:I agree with everyone above Matt, great write up...

Perhaps people should get ACA involved, they might like the story title "Toyota: Not so Unbreakable"...

Then again, they are probably sponsored by them... :roll:

Yep... that's the sad reality of our commercial media these days... good luck getting a negative story up about any of the big corporates, it just won't wash as they spend too much money on advertising campaigns across all media types.
To that, I'm not a fan of sensationalist media like ACA or Today Tonight... they do more harm than good and it's glorified "New Idea" IMHO. Talk back radio stalwarts are not better either... cash for comment and the like.

My time with this issue is long gone (hopefully) as is my energy and patience for it, but for all you blokes currently replacing injectors and rebuiling D4D's I suggest you fire up and get a Facebook page happening and spread the word across all the forums etc.
Get people to post specific information on thier problems and $$$ spent to fix them.
Age of the vehicle, kilometres driven etc.
Also which dealers are helpful, and which aren't.

If enough information is compiled and enough people get on baord we might be surprised with the reaction it draws from Toyota, and we might actually get somewhere.

Postby outbackjoe on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:42 +0000

I've worked in mining since the current model hilux were released on sites with so many hiluxes I couldn't believe it. Large companies buying heaps of hiluxes. Site carparks full of them, across multiple sites, as if they held shares in Toyota or something. These vehicles get flogged, are constantly exposed to dust and corrugations and extreme climates. In all this experience driving hiluxes, and now with my own with 100k on the clock, I'd never heard of Hilux fuel system issues until joining this forum. I never heard of issues on mine sites with literally 100s of vehicles. Mind you I didn't work on them myself and never saw one with more than say 100k on the clock, but similarly I never had any of the vehicles I drove fail or taken away for repairs or heard any mechanics complaining about them.

Please disagree with this comment or disregard it, I don't want to upset anyone or be perceived as defending Toyota at the expense of the members here, it's just a suggestion, but could the missing link be those that modify their trucks vs those that are stock? Or at least be a contributing factor to the high failure rate? Or could it be that mine sites have better fuel or fuel that is not left standing for long or something?
Last edited by outbackjoe on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
outbackjoe

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:48 +0000

Perhaps most mining d4d's have the water seperators installed? And good fuel?

Additionally, I'd say it's a different world when it comes to the relationship between the miners and Toyota (as opposed to private owners) ... TA would bend over backwards and touch their toes for the miners (ie no way they'd try and argue down on a blown D4D based on some chitty fuel) ... or perhaps the relationship between the miner and the fuel provider ... ie, a fuel provider would be nuts to give bad fuel and fear the losses associated with upsetting the miners (business).

Then again miners are flushed with cash and tend to have tons of spare parts and engines lying around ... and/or they rent a lot of the cars long term from thrifty / hertz etc? There's a depot near mine for one of the rental car mobs ... filled with hundreds of brand new mine specced SR D4D's ... constantly in and out stream ... lots of bashed up looking ones going in, and brand new ones going out. (WA)>
Qwerty

Postby outbackjoe on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:55 +0000

I am sure the mine sites have a different relationship, for example the service they'd get in case of a failure, but from my experience the failure did not occur in the first instance.
outbackjoe

Postby jimO on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 2:59 +0000

outbackjoe wrote:I am sure the mine sites have a different relationship, for example the service they'd get in case of a failure, but from my experience the failure did not occur in the first instance.

my hilux was standard, and needed injectors at 60k
jimO

Postby SRD4D on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 3:38 +0000

Yeh,mine was stock and injectors were gone at 160ks.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby jackolux on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 7:33 +0000

Stock motor , exhaust no chip replaced injectors @ 102K's now @ 180K's still std , looking like a 2nd set of injectors , will know more Tuesday
jackolux

Postby Skog07 on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 7:41 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:

Where I get my wifes Yaris serviced they sell genuine unleaded but havent seen diesel there yet!
Skog07

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls