Aftermarket shocks and springs void warranty

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Postby Duges on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 11:40 +0000

Did you all know that if you replace the standard shocks with aftermarket you void any warranty claims on any suspension components, control arms etc.?
Duges

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 7:09 +0000

That is the standard answer you get from Toyota.

But I reckon if you know somebody inside or if the dealer is willing to help, then it would not be an issue to get warranty for the item.

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 7:49 +0000

That is very true Brendon, I should not have gotten warranty for my Fuel Pump, buthte dealership looked after me, they could not say that bad fuel did the damage, and if it di the fuel filter should have stopped any particles.. so they replaced the FIP under warranty... its not what you know... but who you go to...Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby timewaster on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 8:27 +0000

depends on your dealer our first 05 lux we put king springs over the original shocks and after the tamani,cape leveque and grr they crapped them selfs you could bounce the car up and down like it was swing took it into toyota and said will change shocks if they are not bent or stone a through them and he checked them out and replaced them. Always shop around not all dealers are the same and they get paid to do warranty work.
timewaster

Postby Duges on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 7:48 +0000

I phoned 4 different dealers in Sydney and and they said the same thing.
Duges

Postby olcoolone on Fri, 01 Feb 2008 9:11 +0000

But they have to prove the aftermarket suspension was the cause of the failure.

Years ago Toyota had a recall on Hiluxes breaking steering arms, this was a known fault and had to be repaired, even if you had differant suspension.

There is only two reason why you may break something in the suspension.
1) You pushed the vehicle to hard or used it for something it was not designed for.
2) The component had a fault or was not engineered correctly that will be covered by a warranty period.

Most manufactures take warranty claims very seriuosly as the aim for 0% claims for a component.

Most dealerships don't want to help you because it is to hard and if it comes back as a non accepted claim they have to wear it, if you push them the will accept it as long as the component has not been used for what it was not designed for.

Most manufactures and resellers have a warranty claims buffer built into the price meaning they may allocate 2% of the sale price per vehicle for claims some vehicles they may have no claims and other may be more then the 2%.

There is a part of a stat warranty called FIT FOR PURPOSE meaning if you broke a gear box and if they came back and said you should of not engaged low 4WD and climb that hill then the vehicle is not fit for purpose as it was sold as a 4WD.

Regards Richard
olcoolone

Postby bushpig on Sat, 02 Feb 2008 2:45 +0000

My OME upgrade was fully warranted by OME. So don't need yota one.
Cheers
Jack
bushpig

Return to Warranty/Recalls