2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

What were your warranty claims and recall information

Re: 2012 Engine Failure - warranty claim rejected

Postby jackolux on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 6:11 +0000

Hilux Max wrote:No im not.....its been around for atleast 5 to 6 years. Look into it.

Where do I look , I know my local Toyota doesn't sell any fuel , I have just recently been on a trip to the Kimberley
I had cause tp call into Toyota dealers in , Derby , Broome and Darwin no fuel pumps , that I could see anyway

I do a lot of touring in remote areas from the Vic Highcountry , Central Australia , Cape York , Kimberley and everywhere in between to only use Toyota Diesel , do you really think its possible ,
jackolux

Postby Gunny on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 9:15 +0000

10k.

Wow. Well done mate. hats off.
Gunny

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 2:34 +0000

jackolux wrote:
Hilux Max wrote:No im not.....its been around for atleast 5 to 6 years. Look into it.

Where do I look , I know my local Toyota doesn't sell any fuel , I have just recently been on a trip to the Kimberley
I had cause tp call into Toyota dealers in , Derby , Broome and Darwin no fuel pumps , that I could see anyway

I do a lot of touring in remote areas from the Vic Highcountry , Central Australia , Cape York , Kimberley and everywhere in between to only use Toyota Diesel , do you really think its possible ,

Not Toyota Diesel Fuel.....Diesel OIL.......thats what was originally stated....I never mentioned genuine fuel.

EDIT: My bad, just reread my message last time...I was ereffering to Genuine Toyota Diesel Oil and forgot to write "oil" at the end :oops:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jackolux on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 3:13 +0000

Thats ok Max , I have always used Castrol RX Super , that is what the local dealer used from new
its the fuel and fuel system , thats the problem
jackolux

Postby SRD4D on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 6:08 +0000

The dealers use the cheapest oil any supplier can offer them.
My local toyota dealer use valvoline as there "genuine" toyota oil its bargin basment oil...........I know somone that used to work at valvoline and know how its produced/distributed......... I wouldnt put it in my mower(you know what I mean)

make an informed choice on your Oil fellas not what a dealer tells you to use.
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby jackolux on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 7:42 +0000

My previous Lux did 200K on RX Super without any probs , Im sticking with it .
jackolux

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 6:28 +0000

SRD4D wrote:The dealers use the cheapest oil any supplier can offer them.
My local toyota dealer use valvoline as there "genuine" toyota oil its bargin basment oil...........I know somone that used to work at valvoline and know how its produced/distributed......... I wouldnt put it in my mower(you know what I mean)

make an informed choice on your Oil fellas not what a dealer tells you to use.

Thats not what Im meant by "genuine". I actually buy the Toyota labelled bottles of oil when I service the hilux meself.

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby srluxy on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 8:01 +0000

The toyota "genuine" oil is simply rebaged oil from one of the oil companies. They make cars they arent a oil company. I work for Cat they sell "genuine Cat oil" which is just rebaged mobil oils.
srluxy

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 8:27 +0000

I realise that but if anything goes wrong with your engine they can't blame the oil you've used as an excuse.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby clarkyinaus on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 9:16 +0000

Toyota Genuine Diesel oil is Caltex Delo Gold....I'm pretty sure its just a cheaper version of Delo 400.

Its not crap oil.....but it is re-badged Caltex oil.

On the issue of fuel quality, I have 2nd filter setup (2micron with a water bowl) on my hilux, however I have it setup so that the fuel reaches the factory filter (with the water alarm) first and then into the 2 micron filter as the secondary.....So far so good for 140k.

With all due respect to all involved, if you have an engine failure when chipped, running gas and pushing hard I do struggle with the idea that it should still be subject to full warranty....IMHO

On the other-hand I do reckon that Toyota has dropped the ball when it comes to fuel filtration.....and the amount they charge for injectors is obscene, I think Diesel Care charges $600/injector.....still expensive, but a darn side cheaper than Toyota.
clarkyinaus

Postby srluxy on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 12:22 +0000

Totally agree that lux's should be standard with two fuel filters. Australian diesel is pretty poor quality, its getting better but there is still a moisture content in our fuel.
srluxy

Postby bloke&tackle on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:35 +0000

The thing about fuel filters that isn't common knowledge is that the manufacturers (of fuel filters) state a micron size and a % factor. So for example a 4 micron filter might be rated at 75%....meaning it will capture 75% of particles larger than 4 microns. I don't know what % the Toyota filter is rated to, but I think not many filters available with current technology are rated at more than 95%.
Until common rail diesel systems came along recently there was never a need for diesel filters to filter such fine particles at high % ratings, so filtering at these levels is still evolving.
Sort of explains a few things regarding common rail problems in all makes of engines.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 8:01 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:Flava have you got anymore info than that?
I just rang my local Dealership and they have no idea of any endorsed by Toyota. They went through the computer for updates on Landcruiser as well and have no idea.

This is on display at my local Toyota dealer service desk:
All sorts of contaminated fluids ranging from water and algae in diesel to water and metal in trans and diff fluids.
The service rep said that Toyota will honour warranty claims as long as the 2nd fuel filter is mounted upstream or before the OEM filter.
A pretty good endorsement and admission for the need of a second filter from Toyota...
DeadlyBeast

Postby NimrodAUS on Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:48 +0000

oggy wrote:Umm yeah, adding a fuel filter = no warranty?? Sooo why did Nimrods dealer fit an after market filter/water seperator (not even a genuine toyota filter)???? I also fitted a similar filter setup after asking my service manager if it would in any way affect my warranty, the answer was no it wouldn't . Same with the diesel additive that i use.

Ahh it's nice to be thought of, lol. Yes Toyota did indeed fit an aftermarket secondary fuel filter to my car from new, as requested by me after I spotted it on a one of there showroom mine spec cars.

Here's the thing with Toyota warranty, it's massively dealer dependent. Before anything for removed I'd be calling every dealer in a reasonable radius see what they say, be honest with them and if that doesn't work call toyota HQ. now I asked the people on the know at toyota about warranty. Here's the low down basic version.

You can do whatever you like to the car, add any aftermarket bits your heart desires, as long as its legal, and is not the cause of a failure to any genuine Toyota part then there should be no problem with warranty. Toyota however will not warrant aftermarket parts themselves. I hope that makes séance and makes it a bit clearer. Personally when I hear about cracked pistons and holes in them I think chipped. This is just another example of why I will never ever chip my D4D. If I wanted massive power I would have bought a ranger. But I wanted a reliable, quality car that's going to last me for a long time and has a huge parts inventory locally available should I ever actually break something. Honestly the hilux goes well. Highway overtaking, no worries. 5th gear. If its a bit more urgent there's always 4th. But I'm not in a hurry these days and I'm a pretty sensible driver. Besides, honestly the 30 odd seconds you save driving at 120km/h as a posed to 100km/h over an average highway journey just isn't worth it in my books.
Bit of a rant, but I can't sleep.

Anyway hope you get a good result out of Toyota and they at the minimum come half way. Warranty is a touch issue and you just have to handle it delicately because at the end of the day, the person your abusing on the phone might be the person that signs the dotted line weather you get a new engine for free or nothing...

Oh almost forgot, if they say moisture is the cause I'd get that in writing along with no evidence in filter. That basically clears any sorts of modifications you may or may not have done. Then you can use Toyota against themselves as they full well know this is a major issue with these engines. Evidence, well in my 2012 d4d there would be no less then 6 separate warnings about water in fuel, there's the sticker under sun visor for gods sake, in the owners manual it's all over it, theres even a bloody full colour lift out pamphlet discribing what where and how the fuel warning light works and what to do. On top of that, latest models not only display the dash light but have a coinciding warning beeper. That's how bad this issue is. Use it mate. Maybe they will get sick of replacing engines And fix the problems..

Here's a picture of what Toyota fitted to my car from new.
NimrodAUS

Postby NimrodAUS on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 4:50 +0000

Also like to say that Toyota insurence cover fuel contamination in there policy. They are the only company that I Gould find that had a specific mention of it. As long as fuel receipts are kept and the problem arose from a single event of bad fuel.
NimrodAUS

Postby Alby on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 9:54 +0000

I have my vehicle insured with 4WD Insurance which is managed by GGA Insurance brokers and underwritten by Allianz.

I just got off the phone from making a windscreen claim so asked the question regarding contaminated fuel while I was at it. They told me that provided it can be demonstrated that the vehicle damage is because of contaminated fuel they would cover it under the policy.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 11:48 +0000

surely toyota rejecting warranty would be proof enough to an insurer that fuel was the issue.
Qwerty

Postby Alby on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 12:04 +0000

Qwerty wrote:surely toyota rejecting warranty would be proof enough to an insurer that fuel was the issue.

They said they would require fuel testing report to confirm that it was contaminated which is fair enough, Toyota would need that to deny warranty in the first place
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby cruz03 on Sun, 02 Sep 2012 9:16 +0000

Wow this is some of the best feedback of unhappy hilux D4D owners i have ever read (myself included) why don't we all band together with current claims (injectors,engines, fuel, etc) and bloody well do something about it NOW? I also have 2x 03 landcruisers from new and have never had ,algae,moisture,so called BAD FUEL problems ever with these only my 08 Hilux. Surely there must be something to achieve. Dean
cruz03

Postby Hellbound on Sun, 02 Sep 2012 9:07 +0000

The 03 cruisers werent common rail diesels so no point comparing the hilux to those

What make and model is the fuel manager your runnin there Nimrod....
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

PreviousNext

Return to Warranty/Recalls