Diesel/gas

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Diesel/gas

Postby KTM525 on Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:30 +0000

G'day all,
Was just wondering if anyone has done or heard anymore about putting gas on the D4D. There is apparently a new version out called the Sequent II that is supposed to be even better. Anyway would be interested in hearing any comments or experiences good or bad about this system.
Thanks very much.
KTM525

Diesel/gas

Postby Tonym on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 2:59 +0000

At $4665 fitted you would need to be doing alot of miles to cover it... or just power hungry....

If they can reduce the cost down to $3 - $3800 I'd probably be into it. ANother mob in Melbourne appearently do a good job also. They do all the fleet vehicles. Cant quite remember the name of them though.
Tonym

Diesel/gas

Postby 10K on Fri, 12 Oct 2007 6:26 +0000

Hi KTM525,

I have DieselGas.
Yes I am power hungry!!
Always on the hunt for more grunt!!

I know the guys at DieselGas very well and their new system is streets ahead of anything else out there. Period.

So much so that I am considering upgrading my 2005 install to their current package.

The LPG injection is great for:
More power
Better economy
Longer Range
Cleaner engine/oil etc

Couple the DieselGas with a TaipanXP exhaust and a good chip and you will have a rocket of a truck.

Mine flies... I lost my licence having a run with a WRX over the Anzac Bridge. Stupid... yes!! I won by the way!! For a 2 ton+ truck it is really quick!

Anyways if you want more power, look no further. If you want good range, well couple a 45-50L LPG tank with 145L Long Range tank and you'll go close to about 1800km on the highway. Excellent economy too, I avaerage about 1200km from 115L diesel and 40L LPG city 1350 highway, so if you convert the LPG to diesel about 10L per 100Km. I also run 33's with standard diffs, and carry a fir bit of tools around.

A excellent addition to my truck, but yes it ain't cheap. You will get the $2000 rebate if your privately registered.

Cheers
Matt

ps go the mighty KTM's!!

Diesel/gas

Postby broke on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 7:56 +0000

I tried to get out to Dungog to see these guys this weekend... I reckon it wouldn't have taken much to talk me around... even at the RRP..... Oh well... maybe next time Im up North...
broke

Diesel/gas

Postby Doug67 on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 9:49 +0000

I noticed they now sell the "Diesel Gas Technologies gear instead of "Diesel Gas Australia" as of September 07.
Doug67

Diesel/gas

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:01 +0000

If you get the chance to get LPG, DO IT! I went for a drive in the Taipan XP hilux when I got my exhaust and it flogs harder than any other truck I have been in. He has a chip, exhaust, snorkel, filter and also designed a new air/water intercooler good for 25 more extra kw's, up from the 8 you get in the stock one. He runs 4 over boost in a manual and was cracking about 130ks in third. On the dyno he is gettin about 185kw and more than 470 foot of torque. After fitting my new wheels and with a chip i reckon ive lost about 15% power easily. Will get as soon as budget allows.

10k get in touch with Kerry at Taipan and get this intercooler, after that I don't think there is anything left to buy on your truck, looks awesome by the way 8-)
GreenHilux Guy

Diesel/gas

Postby 10K on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 4:15 +0000

GreenHG,

Thanks, the truck has turned out pretty nice! Still heaps to do on the thing... but the budget has dried a little of late! Currently looking at a solid front axle with airbags, air lockers and willwood disc brakes all round. Anyone need a reasonably cared for kidney!!

I know Kerry @ taipanXP quite well, he is currently making me up a exhaust and I've been harassing him about the intercoler upgrade and plug'n'play Xede chip for ages! He does great work and is pretty generous with his time. Just too busy I guess to get everything done at once.

The DieselGas is the best thing on my truck, people don't believe it's a 3.0L 4cyl diesel! Well worth the money if you can get the $2000 rebate.

Cheers
Matt

Diesel/gas

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 6:48 +0000

SAS 10K you do have some cash. Although you can probably still get some cash from selling your original lift. Are you going to overkill for the swap? make sure you get that Dobinson X brace bracket for the flex. How are you dong the rear discs? I hear Subara forester rotors and calipers are the best fit for hilux's. Kerry is awesome and that intercooler looks and works an absolute treat. Bit spicy on the price but after driving his lux, I was embarrased about getting back in mine.
GreenHilux Guy

Diesel/gas

Postby KTM525 on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 3:13 +0000

G'Day 10K,

From what I can tell this DieselGas system sounds pretty good. You definately sound pretty happy with yours. From what I have read and found out the new sequential II system is a lot better than the older one too. That would be good.
Do you know of anyone that has the new system fitted?
Brett.

PS if it's not orange it's a lemon 8-)
KTM525

Diesel/gas

Postby 10K on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 3:43 +0000

KTM525,

I do not know anyone with the new system other than the guys at DieselGas here in Sydney.

Give Brad or Matt a call on 02 4721 3675. They will answer all of your questions. They are usually super busy, so you might talk to Charlie, he knows his stuff too. These guys design and patent all the components, then licence the fitting to other places around Australia.

Cheers

Diesel/gas

Postby Twinkles on Wed, 07 Nov 2007 9:48 +0000

Which diesel gas system is best? Diesel Gas Australia (SA), Diesel Gas Technologies (NSW) or D Gas (WA), Team Green Auto Gas (QLD).
Twinkles

Diesel/gas

Postby 10K on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 12:15 +0000

Twinkles,

From what I understand DieselGas NSW are the developers and distributors of the product. They do all the R&D on the components then licence other outlets to install it.

Not too sure on D Gas or Team Green. They may have their own/different product.

I have the DieselGas product and could not be happier with it. Their new product is even better than the 05 spec unit I have. Their aftermarket service is also outstanding, I actually have them do all the logbook servicing on my truck.

Good luck with whatever you install, the LPG just does wonders for a diesel.

Cheers

Diesel/gas

Postby jogal on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 9:34 +0000

Hey guy's i'm in Perth and have been looking at fitting a gas system to my d4d. After months of looking into the different systems out there i was shocked when i recieved a call back from one of the major fitters over here saying that after being at a conference over east last week regarding diesel gas he told me to stay away from it as there have been many motors going bang after fitting these systems. Apparently it happens when the motor is at it's peak torque.
jogal

Diesel/gas

Postby jogal on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 9:38 +0000

Nah im with 10K on this....
jogal

Diesel/gas

Postby TOMUCH on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 10:06 +0000

I would have to assume that if you try to get TOMUCH power..ultimatley you could destroy your engine... but if you are sensible, and use the system as it is intended... I think It should be fine... I am going to call diesel gas guys and ask about getting a fitup in the new year..... heres hoping...Cheers TOMUCH.
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Diesel/gas

Postby 10K on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 11:52 +0000

Jogal,

I would be very interested to hear more from this fitter and what these comments are based on.

A few points here:

1. I have had the DieselGas system since 07/05. Hasn't skipped a beat.

2. The LPG has very different results on older motors, as their injectors don't atomise (or smash) the diesel into as smaller particles. By this is mean new diesels (common rails) have new style injectors which break the diesel down into a finer mist, which has more surface area which means that you burn more of the diesel, thus more power, less black smoke. Couple this with variable timing on cams and decent ECU's and this is why modern diesels are a class above pertols. So newer diesels don't get as much gain from LPG. Older oilers have huge gains in power and fuel economy and heaps less black smoke.

3. DieselGas NSW has had exposure to motor failure in 3.0L GU Patrols and have had all repairs covered under manufacturers warranty. The turbos in these trucks can be inferior and can fail. To date as far as I am aware LPG has not been proven to cause any damage to any part of the truck.

4. LPG has been used in the trucking industry in
Europe and USA for years without issue.

Bottom line for me is if you service your truck as per normal (5000km oil + filter, as well as normal log book servicing) and don't drive it like you stole it the DieselGas is the best thing you will bolt onto your truck in terms of everyday drivability.

Cleaner engine. Better fuel economy. More power.

Chips are ok, exhaust great... the LPG is the best thing on my truck.

I'd ask this guy for some specific examples like:
truck, model, age, km's on truck when LPG installed, was it servicede properly... was the blokes 17 year old son, oe wife! driving it when it blew up?

Yes I am a massive fan of DieselGas. I'm always dubious of people like this fitter writing something off with no evidence to back it.

The hunt for more grunt is always fraught with DANGER.

Cheers

Diesel/gas

Postby Doug67 on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 7:06 +0000

'4. LPG has been used in the trucking industry in
Europe and USA for years without issue. '

My company is also looking at D/G for our fleet... over 200+ prime movers and similar local delivery fleet....
8-)
Doug67

Diesel/gas

Postby jogal on Sun, 11 Nov 2007 6:02 +0000

You guy's are probably right and i,m right with use in the hunt for more speed and grunt this was the info from one gas fitter over here which has got this info according to him from a recent conference he attended to over east on this issue. It did'nt relate to any single situation or vehicle . At the end of the day he's not doing his business any favors by not recomending the product.
jogal

Diesel/gas

Postby 10K on Sun, 11 Nov 2007 7:58 +0000

BREAKING NEWS!!

While at the 4x4 show in Sydney yesterday I got talking to the Fuelsave/DieselGas guys.

There has been some massive changes to their business partnerships that have landed people in court.

I think Doug67 picked up on this earlier, with the name changes etc.

Apparantly the Sydney DieselGas guys who installed my system have been taken to the Supreme court by the other DieselGas guys for product patents etc.

I'm not sure who has done what or whatever, but I did get a firm price of the sales rep for all those interested.

$4300 fully installed including GST.

$2000 cash back from the Govt available to all privately owned vehicles under 3500kg GVM.

Their system is slightly different to what I have as they know use a injector for the gas delivery rather than a venturi system. Better in that you use a little less LPG.

All in all though the system is still available, but appartantly at the moment not through the guys I recomended due to a Supreme Court injunction?

I'll give them a call on Monday and get their side of the story.

The plot thickens!

Diesel/gas

Postby mogofo on Sat, 17 Nov 2007 1:38 +0000

thanks for all this info guys, especially 10K. I'm on standby with bated breath awaiting more info. Cheers
mogofo

Next

Return to Fuel Systems