Sub tanks or Replacement?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Sub tanks or Replacement?

Postby rox287 on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 6:48 +0000

I been looking around at different long range fuel tanks and there are many options out there. ARB have the Long Ranger replacement tank but veiwing it on another vehicle it looks to sit bellow the chasis. I have found that Opposite Lock stocks a stainless tank that holds 154L and replaces the spare tyre and is a complete sub tank with an electric transfer pump back to main tank which would be great holding more fuel than any replacement main tank and you don't interfere with factory fuel system.
Just wondering if anyone got one of these tanks from Opposite Lock and what they think of them?
rox287

Re: Sub tanks or Replacement?

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:36 +0000

OL also have a smaller tank that sits above the spare tyre...the spare tyre sits a little lower when this is fitted, or if you have a tyre carrier then this wouldnt be a problem and just fit the auxiliary tank there.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rodw on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 3:52 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:OL also have a smaller tank that sits above the spare tyre...the spare tyre sits a little lower when this is fitted, or if you have a tyre carrier then this wouldnt be a problem and just fit the auxiliary tank there.

A little lower = 65mm from memory. Holds around 70 litres.

the bigger tank sounds interesting.
rodw

Postby SerbLux on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 4:15 +0000

Checked with opposite lock today and they said is a error, their is only one tank mounts to where the tyre mounts the 70L ;)

Ivan
'Take one for the Team' and do your Part
SerbLux

Postby rox287 on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 5:37 +0000

thanks for the replies
I to got a reply from Opposite Lock rep today and apparently there has been some confusion with their web page and product numbers but after many calls he said they do have the tank available for custom building not off shelf, but it can be done and it is a gravity feed back to a Y in the filling line of the original main or any after market tank.

Does anyone know the quality of these tanks whether it be the 70L or otherwise?
rox287

Postby Batman on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 5:43 +0000

Just got my 145lt replacement LRA tank today...

Sitting in the shed ready to be fitted, I will hopefully get this job done over the weekend.

The tank looks really well made, plenty of reinforcement and the welds look first class. I am hoping it does the job and lasts the journey.

I will take some photos when fitting so you can see it in progress. The extra capacity should see me getting 1200 - 1300km out of a tank which will be great. Only need to visit the servo every month or so... :mrgreen:
Batman

Postby rodw on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 6:26 +0000

rox287 wrote:thanks for the replies
I to got a reply from Opposite Lock rep today and apparently there has been some confusion with their web page and product numbers but after many calls he said they do have the tank available for custom building not off shelf, but it can be done and it is a gravity feed back to a Y in the filling line of the original main or any after market tank.

Does anyone know the quality of these tanks whether it be the 70L or otherwise?

Yes mate. That is the one I was refering to. Here it is:
http://www.dolium.com.au/view/page/120/ ... 86aux.html

Has the advantage of better weight distribution at the expense of departure angle. A mate added a similar one to an earlier Hilux but it has a transfer pump to get it over to the main tank. Lower spare tyre was not really noticeable
rodw

Postby Ox Man on Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:19 +0000

keep in mind the Long Ranger gaurantees to improve clearance on the factory tank.......

you have other bits that hang lower....forget how that sounds.......
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby Bucko on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 6:19 +0000

I have the long ranger 150l ARB replacement tank and had seen it made, at out of town 4x4 at Barnsley, and it is very well made, i have a few marks from heavy going but the tanks are 4mm i think but as i said very well made the only thing i don't like is that the dash gauge dosen't move untill i have used 40L and after the fuel light is on i still have about 60L, so i fuel up every 1000kms and have no problems.
Bucko
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 6:41 +0000

Longranger have a 128lt tank which will give you 15mm better clearance than the original tank. It appears to be very well made and very strong and comes with everything in the kit for instillation. My only disappointment is that it also came with welding swarf and was very dirty inside. This is not acceptable for the price that they are charging for this item. Oh and it’s very difficult to clean out with all the baffles inside. I am also conducting a “Rust” test on it, as you all know the quality of our fuel in Australia is so wonderful I believe this will be very important to know.
Gulfstream8

Postby Bucko on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 1:04 +0000

Gulfstream.
Did you get the tank from an ABR shop due to mine came painted cleaned and sealed as i thought they all
came. :?
Bucko
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Ox Man on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 6:08 +0000

there are a few mobs who sell Long Ranger seconds- as in not painted the same, some only in primer- not zinc dipped, without all the baffles, slightly differant mounts, different welds, excess slag, paint drip etc

Buying from ARB, other reputable stores or direct from Out Of Town you are getting the real deal....
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 7:09 +0000

Bucko
I purchased it direct from the manufacture and they were very helpful, I was just a little disappointed with what I found inside. I will post the results ASAP in regards to whether or not these tanks are resistant to rust.
Gulfstream8

Postby djs0276 on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 3:12 +0000

My only concern with putting the larger 154L tank from OL in the rear would be the extra weight that's hanging behind the rear axle, especially if you load up camping gear etc in the back, makes it very tail heavy. I've got the Long Ranger, and although I agree that it hangs lower than the chassis rails, the weight is more to the centre of the vehicle, so more well balanced. I've dented the bottom of the tank a bit, but as Bucko said, they're pretty strong, so can cop a bit of abuse. In any case, if you're going to snag them on a rock, log or similar, you'd probably hit the diff anyway, as that sits lower.
08 D/cab SR5, ARB Front & Rear Diff locks, ARB Deluxe Bar, Dual Battery, Lightforce 240HID's, ORS Rear Drawers, OME Nitro Sport Suspension kit, ARB Side steps & brush bars, Taipan 3" exhaust.
GIC Extreme Offroad Camper trailer
djs0276
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ssdsibes on Wed, 17 Mar 2010 7:18 +0000

I looked at a long range tank, but wasn't really happy to put all my fuel into one tank, and seeing Cam empty all his fuel after his return line came off. So I have 3 x 25l jerry's carried against the front of the tray, but there is the extra work in refuelling from jerry's. 150L in total or carry whatever jerrys you need. This works for me as i have a single cab with heaps of room in the tray.

Long range tank fitted approx $1,300
Hangs low
Easy to lose all your fuel.

3 x 25L jerry's $100
Weight forward
Bit of a pain to refuel
$1,200 to spend on fuel

My .5 litres worth

Sam
ssdsibes

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 06 Sep 2010 3:42 +0000

Well I just finished installing a 70Lt above rear wheel aux fuel tank in my lux and another one in my fathers lux (single cab tray).. my one took 5hrs to install with all the stuffing around including feeder pipe install in OEM tank, towbar / bumper / inner guard removal etc.. then we made up a couple of extra crush tubes (that OL dont supply) to prevent crushing the subframe when tightening the main brace bolts.. the second tank took 3 hours to install..

anyway.. all done, and it gravity feeds as it should.. i put in just over 130lts of diesel in it sunday morning, and no leaks which is good. You do notice the back sits lower (as you'd expect with an extra 100kg of tank and fuel) but no noticable driving changes...

Yes the spare tire sits lower, (just below the SR5 bumper), but when im going offroad, the spare goes in teh back of the tub anyway.. Im going to also make a rubber 'piece' to replace the wheel to hold up against the underside of the tank when the spare isnt attached just to keep the tank 'tight' in place..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Surfseeker on Thu, 30 Sep 2010 6:42 +0000

G'Day Guys,
I am in the process of deciding between a sub tank or replacement.
If I am understanding correctly when a replacement is fitted they retain the standard sender unit. This will mean (again if i am correct) that the fuel gauge will read full until the fuel level has dropped to the level the sender will start to work at. No great problem I suppose because it will still read right after that. However I have an SR5 with trip computer so presumably it will cease to work. Fuel economy readings will be wrong, as of course will the distance to empty. Even the average fuel economy function will be wrong. I kind of like having some of those features.
If i go a sub tank with gravity feed to the main tank then most of the above will probably still apply, however there is another option. What if i go for a subtank with an electric pump to refill the main tank .The way i see it you would drive as usual with all trip computer functions intact. When the fuel gets close to empty you flick a switch and effectively just refill the main tank. If I am right this means the trip computer should work as it does now?
Fuel capacity is about the same (145 litres) whichever option you choose so no issues there.

Anyone done this?
What are your thoughts?
Too complicated or a good thing?
Surfseeker

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 4:48 +0000

Steve9R wrote:Well I just finished installing a 70Lt above rear wheel aux fuel tank in my lux and another one in my fathers lux (single cab tray).. my one took 5hrs to install with all the stuffing around including feeder pipe install in OEM tank, towbar / bumper / inner guard removal etc.. then we made up a couple of extra crush tubes (that OL dont supply) to prevent crushing the subframe when tightening the main brace bolts.. the second tank took 3 hours to install..

anyway.. all done, and it gravity feeds as it should.. i put in just over 130lts of diesel in it sunday morning, and no leaks which is good. You do notice the back sits lower (as you'd expect with an extra 100kg of tank and fuel) but no noticable driving changes...

Yes the spare tire sits lower, (just below the SR5 bumper), but when im going offroad, the spare goes in teh back of the tub anyway.. Im going to also make a rubber 'piece' to replace the wheel to hold up against the underside of the tank when the spare isnt attached just to keep the tank 'tight' in place..

Steve

got some pics Steve? I really like the sound of the OL unit and looking at the pic a few posts higher up it sits exactly between the chassis rails nice and high.....

few questions......

1) so now when you fill up fuel, because the auxialiary is higher than the factory unit, the fuel goes to the AUX first and the AUX then over flows to the factory? is that right?

2) is it worth the money? probably in a dual cab where theres little space.....Im considering this at some stage in the future (after the offroading mods)

Anybody have pics of the Long Ranger tank that improves clearance over factory tank? would be keen to see or someone to measure by how much?

thanks fella's....

edit: just found the long ranger one - http://www.thelongranger.com.au/hiluxlongrangefueltank.html

If you are into extreme terrain, this would be a better option than the TR63 as it has 15mm more ground clearance. Distance To Empty Will No Longer Function With Larger Tank.

Heres a great comparison pic -
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby rockman on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 4:55 +0000

What about the plastic tanks that go in the back on the dual-cabs ..... I think they hold around 120 liters , take up only about 350mm width , something to think about , have that with a set of draws in front of it .

Cheers
"Naked man walking through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok."
rockman

Postby VMN on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 5:47 +0000

rockman wrote:What about the plastic tanks that go in the back on the dual-cabs ..... I think they hold around 120 liters , take up only about 350mm width , something to think about , have that with a set of draws in front of it .

Cheers

Dunno about 120 litres but OL sell a 55 litre plastic tank which you will find on www.dolium.com.au. Cost is about $300 and you can remove them but you need to dril a hole in the tub and work out a way to gravity feed into the main tank.

I am sure there are no 120 litre options. Check out the buildup in my (RodW's) buildup to see how big a 110 litre tank really is in the back of a ute. Sounds more like combined capacity is what you are thinking of (76+55 = 131 litres).

For the record, my 153 litre tank gives 350-400 km range before it moves off the full mark, has done about 600 km when showing half full and has about 25 litres left when the red light comes on. Being an SR, I am not worried about trip computers and stuff but know I easilly have 1000 km range.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Next

Return to Fuel Systems