Dirty Diesel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Dirty Diesel

Postby Dave on Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:16 +0000

The following is posted by Doug Shiner of Kununurra WA of the Western Angler Forum (4x4 section)

Thought some of you maybe interested in this read............ big thanks to Doug for letting us post it here.... anyways here goes -

"Had a long term problem with the new Common Rail Hilux of mine. When it was new, the power was good, the economy was fantastic, had no real complaints. Over the past 10 000 kms (20000 kms now on clock), the economy has turned to sh*t, power at idle has been iffy, developed a miss from time to time. Complained about it to the local dealer, they found nothing untoward. Took it in for service twice, and asked that it be addressed. Twice, they reckoned they couldnt find anything.

Finally, this past service, the problem was addressed. The fuel filter, which supposedly didnt need changing 'til 80000 kms, was absolutely black and clogged. It appears that its not a problem with particles of dirt or rust, or even water contamination, so much as a component of the diesel itself. It may only be a problem with diesel in this area, I mention this as a warning!

The solution, which is also a recommendation from a few dealers, is to fit a prefilter inline, and to use a fuel additive from time to time. This is what I wanted to do originally, based on my experience in the workshop with Merc Common Rail diesels, but I was told by the then Toyota workshop manager that I wouldnt need to do that, and that it wouldnt fix anything as the OE filters were extremely fine and ordinary filters wouldnt trap enough material to be useful. Now it would appear that there has been a change of heart on the subject, and prefilters are recommended, as is fuel additives.

The local dealer has been pretty good to me so far, and they have been as honest as they can be, so I cant complain. I just wish I had done as I wanted to do, and not believed all of what I was told when common sense and experience told me otherwise.

Will fit a prefilter setup soon"
Dave
Site Admin

Dirty Diesel

Postby Tonym on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 12:13 +0000

Interesting. Do you know what additive he is talking about using? Personally I would change the oil filter at every oil change no matter what the dealer said and the fuel filter probably at 5k for the first one then every 15 or 20K there after.
Tonym

Dirty Diesel

Postby Rich on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 4:53 +0000

If anyone fits a fuel pre-filter to their Diesel, can you please write up a numpty's guide to doing it so that I can follow your instructions and do it to mine.

Toyota have Diesel fuel additive, I use that every few thousand K's or so (when I remember to add it).
I have heard this does not do the glow plugs any good, but there is always someone to bag any suggestion that someone else has, you never know who to believe...
Rich.
Rich

Dirty Diesel

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 04 Apr 2007 5:32 +0000

I use fuel doctor every 3-4 tanks, it is a biocide and upper cyl lube.. it does not affect o rings, cats, sensors and other stuff (if you believe the lable) LOL.... However I also take the precaution to fill up where the road trains fill up... easy to do in Darwin...theres heaps of them (Road Trains that is).. I reckon they would bouycote any servo that dishes up s#!t fuel pretty damn quick... I also changed my fuel filter straight after i finished the first tank of fuel in the longranger...Still think it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter every 20 000K they aren't that expensive... Remember if your tank is usually close to empty , youhave a better chance of having an organic growth in your fuel... The reason for this is less fuel in the tank means more surface area to promote condensation...more condensation and warmth = organic growth.... try to always keep your tank full if you are not goiing to use your car for a period... and instead of using all your fuel to the bottom of the tank and then keep topping up with $20... try to fill the tank then put $20 in every time you get to 3/4 full.... this will help keep things in check.. as far as condensation and growth are concerned... that and if at all possible ...buying your fuel from reputable outlets..... TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Return to Fuel Systems