VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE-Diesel/LPG users

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE-Diesel/LPG users

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 8:54 +0000

Guys,

Just came across this bit of info from 4x4 action forum that is very relevant to all of you that have had the diesel / gas conversions installed -

Anybody thinking of converting to Diesel/LPG be careful because this week the AAFRB (Australian Alternate Fuel Registration Board) have declared that all diesels from 2003 onwards that have been converted are illegal and unroadworthy.

A statement from AAFRB says that the LPG kits are not compliant with AS1425 standards because they have not been certified with emission testing. One supplier of LPG kits has started legal action against the AAFRB for restriction of trade because it is not possible for the kits to meet emission standards as there are none
available to be tested against in Australia at this time.

Current newsletter of AAFRB refers to this -
http://www.aafrb.com.au/forms/AAFRB_Winter_Newsletter_2008.doc
Sidek PRX Pressure Relief Valve

Since the 2002 / 2003 introduction of ADR079 and ADR80 any diesel powered vehicle converted to run on a dual fuel system must have a system that has been emission certified to the requirements outlined in AS/NZS1425 – 2007 appendix D.

Currently we are not aware of any LPG systems that have been developed for a diesel vehicle that has been emission certified in accordance with the Australian Standard.

Over the last twelve months we have inspected two vehicles that were subject to consumer complaints that have required a certified LPG system fitted to them, and as a result the businesses have either removed the system or are currently trying to have the emission test carried out.

For vehicles that have been manufactured to comply with ADR 079/00 or ADR 079/01 the requirements in AS/NZS1425-2007 for a dual fuel diesel vehicle (part diesel part LPG) is that the kit shall be fitted to at least one representative vehicle and tested in accordance with the Type I test requirements specified in ADR 79/00 or ADR 79/01. When tested the converted vehicle shall meet the relevant Type I test emission limits specified in ADR 79/00 or ADR 79/01.

The following test facilities have the capability of carrying out ADR 79/01 testing:
Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited
Phone:(03) 5279 6123

VIPAC Engineers & Scientists Ltd
Contact Mr Michael Smith
Phone: 9647 9700

ADR 80/00 engines converted to dual fuel operation may be tested on either the ESC and ELR tests and meet the limit values in Table 1 or the ETC test and meet the limit values in Table 2, as specified in Clause 6.2 of Annex 1 of Appendix A of ADR 80/00, ADR 80/01. These tests are performed on an engine dynamometer and there is no provision for a chassis test.

Our enquiries have revealed that no such engine test facilities are available on a commercial testing basis in Australia.

Therefore, anyone fitting LPG to a heavy duty diesel vehicle post the publication of AS/NZS1425-2007 would require that the LPG fumigation system be fitted to an engine and tested in an overseas laboratory.

It should be noted that any vehicle that is converted to LPG and is not converted in accordance with the Australian standard would be deemed technically unroadworthy in Victoria and the vehicle would be deemed uninsurable.

Fella's, if I were you guys, I'd be making some inquiries as it could be a loophole in the event of an at-fault accident that insurance might get out of paying you because your vehicle could be deemed "un-roadworthy"......

pretty serious situation, I'd be getting on the phone to whoever installed your system and make some inquiries.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: VERY IMPORTANT NOTICE-Diesel/LPG users

Postby Quinny34 on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 9:02 +0000

If you'd forked out the $4000 plus to get gas.... you'd be pi$$ed about it right now...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rodw on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 9:14 +0000

Amazing that an Australian Design Rule (ADR) is framed so that it can't be complied with in the country. Our beurocrats are doing very well.
rodw

Postby 10K on Tue, 14 Jul 2009 9:52 +0000

F@#K.

Thanks Max, better to know rather than be oblivious...

I'll make some calls tomorrow.

Matt

Postby Homer1 on Wed, 15 Jul 2009 7:22 +0000

How typical of our beurocrats, politicians and decision makers. Big thumbs up for whoever does the ADR rules. :evil:

"If you own a legal LPG modification, your engine may not comply to a level we have not yet discerned in a specific test we have not yet invented...sleep well"

Wankers!
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.
Homer1

Postby crosssport on Wed, 15 Jul 2009 9:12 +0000

I did hear on the grape vine a while back about this, wasn't to concerned as I never intend fitting gas, however I wonder where this will leave those that have gas and the companies who work hard developing the diesel gas kits. :?
DETERMINATION.....THERE IS NO TRYING...THERE IS ONLY DOING OR NOT DOING!
crosssport

Postby hodgo81 on Thu, 16 Jul 2009 9:15 +0000

that just stinks!

it doesn't affect me, but well done to the beaurocrats for putting road blocks infront of a technology that is proven to burn so much cleaner than the original setup.
hodgo81

Postby 10K on Thu, 16 Jul 2009 3:05 +0000

Nothing major to worry about if you a DieselGas customer.

Their kits are ADR complaint, emissions tested and I don't have a problem here in NSW.

Other states might be different, so check with whoever did the installs.
I've heard from a few guys that 2 diesel injection installers have closed shop over the last month because of the amount of retrofits they would have had to do to bring cars back to being legal, as their kits are now illegal... pretty awful situation for those with these systems on their vehicles.

This debacle is also similar to the NCOP...

Cheers
Matt

Postby rodw on Thu, 16 Jul 2009 5:47 +0000

10K wrote:This debacle is also similar to the NCOP...
Cheers
Matt

well said Matt :!: :!: :!: :!:
rodw

Return to Fuel Systems