Common Rail mod's by Toyota?

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Common Rail mod's by Toyota?

Postby canoes on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 2:17 +0000

G'day all,
I've heard that Toyota made some slight changes in late 2006 to the D4D engine, in response to issues with the Common Rail arrangement.
Does anyone know more detail of this?
The following is taken from a site at the address shown underneath.
Toyota says it has increased the performance and environmental friendliness of HiLux’s 3.0-litre Turbo-diesel engine. Technical changes to HiLux’s common-rail turbocharged and intercooled diesel engine have increased power by 6kW and made the engine compliant to Euro IV emissions standard.
The improved Toyota 1KD-FTV engine will be fitted to all HiLux 4×2 and 4×4 diesel models from August 2006 production. The performance and environment upgrade for HiLux Turbo-diesel is part of a raft of HiLux technical, safety and specification changes due from August and October 2006 production.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/876/toyota-hilux-2006-my06/
There seems to be enough of the same comments related to cold engine rattle, & having the injectors replaced, in the warranty & technical forums to support the idea of Toyota introducing modifications.Stating it's in the interests of emissions is sound public relations...
From what I've gathered so far, the common rail injection is a great advance, but it seems almost as though the manufacturer's are still refining it, regardless of Diesel quality differences between Europe & Australia.
It seems a few people are using additives with their diesel Hilux/Prado to overcome this, has the re-mapping with another chip been proven as successful?
I'm in the process of buying a late model Turbo Diesel Hilux Dual Cab 4WD, & I'm keen to sort it out.
Thanks,
Jason.
canoes

Re: Common Rail mod's by Toyota?

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 4:34 +0000

The cold engine rattles have been fixed by toyota if you take it back to the dealership, they will remap your ECU with new software.

The change to euro4 compliance has made the engines more sensitive to modifications like power chips and the like....the engine likes some whilst doesnt like others.

trd here was testing the possibility of running the european TTE powerchip, but because of business plans and trd shutting down thats gone by the wayside.

fuel quality here in australia is the number one issue to these engines running properly.

Id love to find out if anyone in queensland is running BP Ultimate Diesel in their D4D to gauge their response on how the engines likes or dislikes it since its supposed to be a much cleaner diesel with more power, unfortunately us mexicans down south do not have access to this diesel yet.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby olcoolone on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 7:23 +0000

They changed to a water cooled EGR valve and efi sensor upgrade.
olcoolone

Re: Common Rail Injection modifications by Toyota?

Postby olcoolone on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 7:34 +0000

Jason I would not loose sleep over it, all EFI whether it's petrol or diesel systems are constantly being upgraded and refined.

It's called evolution.

The current Common Rail systems are very high tech and complicated....in 5 years time today's systems will look antiquated.

Don't read to much into the issues people are having as they are few and far between.

If you want to hold off until they sort it out you will never buy one!

The more moving parts or electronics something has the more of a chance of something somewhere somehow failing.

The trade off is better drive ability, fuel usage and power with less maintenance.
olcoolone

Postby canoes on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:18 +0000

Thanks fella's, much appreciated.
I'm comfortable enough to go ahead & buy one anyway, but the more I know, the better.
Cheers,
Jason.
canoes

Postby tasibrett on Sat, 21 Mar 2009 4:07 +0000

[quote]Id love to find out if anyone in queensland is running BP Ultimate Diesel in their D4D to gauge their response on how the engines likes or dislikes it since its supposed to be a much cleaner diesel with more power, unfortunately us mexicans down south do not have access to this diesel yet.[quote]

Tried it in Perth, can't see any improvement in fuel economy but did seem to pull better when under lots of load towing up hill
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Return to Fuel Systems