Diesel/Lpg fuel

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby Ian K on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 5:42 +0000

Has anyone converted a late model hilux (2008 onwards) to diesel/lpg gas? Iam considering doing it but would like to know any positive or negative experiences that people have had. Ian k.
Ian K

Re: Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby helmut79 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 5:52 +0000

Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby wyworrie on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 7:52 +0000

This thread is petrol/lpg - very different
wyworrie

Postby amitch888 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 7:55 +0000

The above is a petrol/LPG. There are a couple of blokes who have done diesel LPG, can't remember off the top of my head who they are though. Also speak to "toyboata" off here, he knows alot about it.

Cheers, Mitch
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby helmut79 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012 8:05 +0000

Sorry fellas you are correct.

Try 10K or Matty from Monster Rides he has diesel LPG on his truck
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby GreenHilux Guy on Wed, 01 Feb 2012 9:43 +0000

Ian k where are you based?

I have one of the best guys in the industry.

Pm me your number and I will get you his details and you can call him for kit details.
GreenHilux Guy

Postby 92djc92 on Sun, 19 Feb 2012 7:35 +0000

hi mate
just to let u no i have done the lpg to my hilux and it has given me 45 to 50% more power and as for saving fuel I'm running 35' muds and i used to get about 450km out of my stock tank now I'm getting about 750km out of it and there r a lot more good resins to do it as well like the motor runs cooler
plus the guy who did myn keeps the new car warranty when he gases the car
there is also a $1200 cash rebate if your car isn't in a company name
call me on 0413209044 if u want more details
92djc92

Postby amitch888 on Sun, 19 Feb 2012 8:17 +0000

How long have you had it fitted? Brand? Kms on your lux? Always think about getting it but never hear any feedback from anyone.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 20 Feb 2012 3:49 +0000

92djc92 wrote:hi mate
just to let u no i have done the lpg to my hilux and it has given me 45 to 50% more power and as for saving fuel I'm running 35' muds and i used to get about 450km out of my stock tank now I'm getting about 750km out of it and there r a lot more good resins to do it as well like the motor runs cooler
plus the guy who did myn keeps the new car warranty when he gases the car
there is also a $1200 cash rebate if your car isn't in a company name
call me on 0413209044 if u want more details

Mate, you should start a build thread. I just checked out your shed and your Hilux sounds like a beast!!! :twisted:
MADDOG

Postby Doorstop on Wed, 14 Mar 2012 1:02 +0000

OK, I am definitely interested as my 2 mates are both impressed by their LPG/ Diesel injection. It appears that 92djc92 is as well. Can anyone advise me on fitters in South Aust as bro in laws' was fitted when he bought his ute and the other mate fitted his himself. He is a mech but an "inventor" whose cost him $7.50.... I fancy something a little more, er, proffessional.
Doorstop

Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby toyboata on Sat, 07 Apr 2012 9:11 +0000

Ok after nearly 2 years with my Lux I've finally gotten round to fitting LPG injection to it. I was waiting for a PRINS DIESELBLEND system to be released here but it is still at least another year away.
I do however have another new system that has just been released.
PEEL Instruments have been manufacturing LPG electronics for about 25 years and have just released a true electronic LPG injection system for ALL diesel vehicles.
They make the brains of the system and then it's coupled with one of a couple of different converters and injectors. The one I have uses an EMER converter and injector, which have a reputation for being very reliable.
The system has one major advantage over others on the market and like with ChipIt it comes with a thermocouple to be mounted in the exhaust right after the turbo. If the EGTs exceed the 550 deg maximum then the system is de-activated until the temp drops back down below that threshold. It also cuts out over 3500rpm as there is no need for it over those revs.
Unlike a lot of other systems too, the LPG is very precisely controlled with the pulse of the diesel injectors. LPG is precisely injected right from 1050RPM up to the 3500RPM cutoff. Most other system only inject over 5psi boost. As far as economy goes this method of injecting gas right from pretty much idle is much better as you are always getting complete burn of the diesel. Also this improves acceleration right off the line, not just when the turbo kicks in.
So far I have a noticable power difference. The mid-range torque increase is the most impressive and this is where the system is designed to offer the biggest performance gain. As I also have a Chip It with custom tune 2 running, I do not have the LOG turned up nearly as high as it can go. There is a good difference with the chip and gas on at the same time, and if I turn the chip off, the gas seems to make about the same performance increase as having the chip on, although the power delivery is a bit smoother and cleaner. I will be playing around with different combinations of chip and LPG tunes to find the best compromise between power and economy, but I'm sure the best results will come from turning the Chip tune down a few and increasing the LPG tune.
I have no results as far as economy goes so far, have only gone through a bit over half tank of diesel so far so too early to tell. A few weeks and I should be able to have some results.
LPG warehouse where I got the kit from have done an 09 Lux that's standard and reckon the range has been increased by about 250km per tank of diesel. They have seen similar results on other vehicles with very good torque increases too.
This system is designed for improving economy and mid range torque more than anything.
There are other systems that will make more top end power but this is not usually what you are chasing with a diesel.
Also this system uses a traditional LPG injection converter which has a water temp sensor that only allows the system to activate once coolant reaches 40deg to ensure complete of the gas.
This also means using a normal liquid withdrawal LPG cylinder.
I have mounted a 40L usable LPG cylinder under the rear of the tray where the spare was. We can fit a smaller tank in different locations that require either an exhaust modification or can be fit sometimes with no modification or removal of spare wheel.
I will report back soon with dyno results and economy figures but this system is already looking to be the best diesel LPG kit I've seen or used yet.
toyboata

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 07 Apr 2012 1:17 +0000

How much is this kit fitted? Is there a price difference between either tanks? Sounds exactly like the system I looked into only a week ago at an installer in Bendigo. He didn't mention the brand, he was still a few more details, think it was $4100 installed, more if the exhaust needed messing around with. I like the sound of this one.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby toyboata on Sat, 07 Apr 2012 5:00 +0000

I'm doing it for $3700. Then you can get the $1250 rebate bringing it to $2450.
The exhaust only needs messing with if we mount the tank to the chassis rail under the rhr seat. Seeing as though you have a tray I can usually fit about a 30-32 usable tank between the spare wheel carrier and the diff without any exhaust mod. I can fit larger tank if you do not require your spare to be carried underneath and there is no price difference whatever the tank size. If you want a larger tank I may even be able to get a reconditioned one which will knock $200 off the price if you want.
toyboata

Postby amitch888 on Sat, 07 Apr 2012 5:41 +0000

Can the rebate only be claimed once per person? I've claimed it once before when it was $1750
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby toyboata on Sat, 07 Apr 2012 6:15 +0000

One claim per person every three years. If its been under three years you can wait until the three years since last claim are up and we fill out the paperwork and change date on invoice and then lodge ur claim. Only downside of this is if that date is after July 1st this year then the rebate will only be $1000.
Other option is to transfer vehicle into wife's name. Transfer between spouses requires no RWC or stamp duty, only transfer fee which is about $30 or so.
toyboata

Postby amitch888 on Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:31 +0000

Toyboata, have you got any photo's of your engine bay of where you have fitted all the gas parts? Not overally impressed where the gas installer put mine, working on my lux tonight and found one of the hoses quickly rubbing through my intake hose to the turbo after roughly 3000kms :x I've done a quick fix but I will have to alter a few things around.

Also had the correct computer fitted for the gas system, made minimal difference, im yet to have the jet size checked but will check it when I find some time, I've got no doubt it's to small.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 6:13 +0000

I've got no doubt it's to small.

Thats what she said...
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby amitch888 on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 7:12 +0000

:evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :evil: :evil: :evil: C...
FCCW
Mitch's Build

amitch888

Postby lais817 on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 6:11 +0000

Quick question for Toyboata or anybody else who may know, there is no LPG bowser at the servo in town where I am, and the nearest is 700ks away in Katherine, is it possible to get the tank filled from BOC etc? Like you do with your BBQ gas bottle? Or is it a totally different gas? If not, are the tanks removable so that you can "swap and Go" as it were, or is the tank hard piped in place?

Cheers,
Ash
Insert witty comment here

Check out my Build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=11921
lais817

Diesel/Lpg fuel

Postby toyboata on Thu, 07 Jun 2012 8:12 +0000

You can fill with regular BBQ gas. It's actually better than pump gas from servo as its 100% propane, whereas auto gas is blend of propane/butane, usually at 40/60 ratio.
Propane is denser and has higher energy content resulting in more power, better economy and more gas in the tank.
Filling your vehicle cylinder at BOC will only be possibly if they have the propane available at a bowser as it needs to be pumped at pressure to fill the tank properly, whereas filling BBQ bottles or other removable cylinders is done without aid of a pump, using the gas pressure already in the supply tank and a bleed valve on receiving tank to let vapor pressure escape and allow liquid to fill it.
Only cylinders designated for automotive use are allowed in road registered vehicles and must be permanently secured and connected. Removable cylinders are only allowed if they are vapour withdrawal and only in forklifts and the like.

Mitch.... I will take photos when I get a chance.
My converter is parallel with chassis and mounted between brake master and airbox, on rh guard. My injector is mounted on a bracket I made which is mounted to the turbo stepper motor bolt, with only about 3" hose to the nozzle in turbo inlet.
I'm getting another new program for my ecu in the next few days, they reckon they've got it working better now and hopefully it will be much better. I am somewhat dissappinted so far myself with this particular system, it seems they have rushed it into service and are using the customer as guinea pigs and still have to work out some issues. I had a big problem with a 100 series I did the other week and had to have a new ecu sent to FN Queensland as the customer had left for round Oz trip only days after the conversion.
It's a pity as every other brand of system I've used in the past has. Worked very well with better results than this one. Hopefully it will all get sorted soon. I'll let u know how I go with my latest 'fix'.
toyboata

Next

Return to Fuel Systems