D4D Rattle

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: D4D Rattle

Postby Alvik on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 1:09 +0000

Gidday Guys. I am new to the forum and have the same trouble with my Hilux rattling. I have had a DPChip installed and then went on a trip towing my caravan. Didn't notice a rattle as I was in outback Qld and weather was hot. Came back home to Maitland in the Hunter Valley and cold temps and the Hilux rattles awefull until warmed up. I mean the temp gauge has to be about 1/3rd before the rattle goes. I had it serviced at local dealer and they said it is a common event and to warm it up before use.This is an 07 Hilux and has never done it before. 70,000km on the clock. It is worrying me to no end. I plan to talk to someone at DPChip and see what they think.

Regards
Alvik
Alvik

Postby SRD4D on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 6:29 +0000

gday guys
Im going to toyota in the morning to attempt to quieten my 07 SR down ,with an apparent reflash,but after finding 3 recent toyota stickers inside the drivers door jams,Im suspecting this "reflash" has allready been done.
i will at least ask what toyota can do to rectify it,hopefully they will offer some new injectors :?: :?:

PS: i left work this evening after warming the car for 2 +minutes,still had a rattle ,what Ive tried the last couple of cold starts is although its not disirable to drive it above the 1-2k,rattle zone and it doesnt rattle at all or very little.

I would like to try an upper engine cleaner,which will(should) clear the carbon from the combustion chamber,as well as the toyota injector cleaner.
Im going to clear the egr tract/valve and throttle body as well,when I do the 170k service in the next week or so.

heres hoping...............
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby BOOGEYMAN on Sun, 24 Jul 2011 7:19 +0000

I wonder if the artic hilux suffers from cold rattles?
BOOGEYMAN

Postby Alvik on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 5:25 +0000

Gidday All. I dissconnected my DP Chip and took my Hilux for a cold morning run and found the death rattle had almost completely gone. Connected the chip back up and it hasn't rattled since. Don't know if it a coincidence, but who cares, The rattle is gone.

Regards
Alvik
Alvik

Postby stanga on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 9:02 +0000

Hey man im heading off round aus at end of the year and wondering if them dp chips are worth it? Hp doesnt bother me but is the torque and fuel economy better? And how hard are they to install? Cheers mate
stanga

Postby blownlux on Thu, 28 Jul 2011 2:11 +0000

mate i think you get what you pay for, i am off around australia in 3 weeks and i went steinbauer, good torque and power and i know it is safe if you want to try one you can try mine if you come up to perth at all.
blownlux

Postby junior on Sun, 31 Jul 2011 6:35 +0000

Just the same ol story with Toyota I am a diesel mechanic by trade and know that this is definitely a injector problem and they bloody know it have had pressures checked re flashed ecu and still have the same problem great vehicle but shit after sales now outa warranty funny that thanks Toyota for pissin us all off. Not over yet believe me.
junior

Postby Alvik on Mon, 01 Aug 2011 10:32 +0000

Gidday Stanga, The dp chip definatly gives more torque. I think the better fuel economy is achieved because you don't have to drive it as hard.I went with dp chip as it has a 5 year warranty, opposed to 3 years for the tunit chip. Don't know about other brands.
Alvik

Postby SRD4D on Mon, 01 Aug 2011 12:25 +0000

gday guys
just got the toyota reflash and injector clean on my 07 lux, but did nothing,Toyota told me to drive it for a while then come back for a cold start test..............knowing it would do nothing.
Does a chip help with "TOYOTA D4D DEATH RATTLE", if so which is best suited???? going for 3" exhaust as well
If not new injectors for me.$$$$$$$$$$$

cheers
Facebook ..........The Australian toyota hilux 4WD group https://www.facebook.com/groups/296534054022895/
SRD4D

Postby sbeer7 on Mon, 01 Aug 2011 12:35 +0000

Hi guys,
I recently had the whole of my intake system cleaned out, (EGR Valve, Throttle Body, Manifold, etc..) And it quietened my rattle right down, still got a slight one, but can hardly hear it, and doesnt last for very long. So over-all I'm happy, and not worried at all :D
sbeer7

Postby HulkCentral on Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:41 +0000

Just posted this in another thread....

Had the cold rattles since about the 60,000km mark, currently have 120,000km on the clock.

Just returned from a 3 week / 4000km jaunt to innaminka with a 1.2t camper tralier in tow.....

Have noticed that since I've been back my cold rattle is gone. Must have blew the cobwebs out...

Avg 15.0L / 100km fuel consumption for the trip if anyone's interested.

Anyone else experienced anything similar to this wrt to cold rattles dissapearing after extended towing / heavy engine loads?
HulkCentral

Postby Hargs on Mon, 08 Aug 2011 5:11 +0000

The early morning rattle that most hilux experience is a fuel pressure issue with the diesal injectors. Bought an 08 SR5 last september and death rattle started the next day. I returned mine to dealership who were more then willing to fix the problem plus explain it further
what it is is that the common rail injectors operate under such high amounts of PSI pressure ( 15000 PSI) when the engine is fully warm and running at normal temperature the injectors that were installed into most 07 08 and early 09 hilux's and prados had a cut off limit of 15,500 PSI. The common rail diesals when started from cold start in the morning need more fuel then at normal running temperature to build up the pressure so if you have the older style injectors that have a limit on the pressure then the fuel pressure runs lean until the engine is warm then the rattle goes away its because at cold start up the fule system is calling for almost 20,000 psi and when it only supplies the pressure of 15 it doesnt supply enough fuel. As for all those boneheads at dealerships telling you its dirty fuel thats a total crock of SHIT. Trust me i had the death rattle then returned the vehicle to the dealership to have the flash drive updated. made no difference so the service manager was more then happy to have new injectors installed ( later model ones) with a high pressure limit. Havnt had so much as even a minor rattle in almost 12 mnths
olcoolone wrote:Whats the out come so far regarding this so called "death knock" that some people were referring to.

This forum and many others have gone quiet...has every one found out that it's normal or is Toyota paying them to keep quiet!

One member had an oil sample analysed...what was the outcome of that.

It's strange how there was so much hoohaa for a few months then it stopped.

Sooooo is there a problem or not?
Hargs

Postby blownlux on Mon, 08 Aug 2011 7:35 +0000

thats interesting about the fuel pressure I might plug my odb scan tool in to my can in the moring and see what pressure its running on start up. i know when warm my car idles at 35000 and then at full throttle goes to 55000 acording to the scan tool.
blownlux

Postby blownlux on Tue, 09 Aug 2011 7:25 +0000

well i just checked my morning fuel pressure and its 37000kpa so i dont think the issue can have any thing to do with pressure i think it is an injector problem for sure
blownlux

Postby Alvik on Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:18 +0000

Death rattles are back in my Hilux. I didn't have them before I put the DP Chip in, but I think it is a coincidence. Sounds like lots of Hilux's without chips are getting the rattles as well. Mine is an 07 model and I drove a 2010 model at work recently. It is a much quieter motor to mine. Maybe the new injectore will help. Its probably costly to find out.

Regards
Alvik
Alvik

Postby Alvik on Fri, 19 Aug 2011 8:30 +0000

Gidday All. I had my hilux in to the local Toyota dealer this week. They did a flash upgrade on the ECU and I have to drive it for 1000km and have it done again. This is supposed to fix the problem, but not always. If this dosen't work, The injectors will need changing and probably at my expense as I am out of warranty. The mechanic told me that the engine gets too much fuel when it is cold and this causes the pinging noise. I have also been told that they like to change the fuel filter at 40,000km now instead of when the light comes on. Mine hasn't been done as yet and I have 75000km up, so next service I will have that done. You can also get an extra fuel filter from a company callede Diesel Care. It goes between the origional filter and the pump. (approx $400) Apparently clean fuel is a must in these engines. Anyway, thats where I am up to with my death rattle. Hope this is of some help to others out there.

Regards
Alvik
Alvik

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 19 Aug 2011 11:00 +0000

Your mechanic is incorrect. The reflash injects more fuel into the engine when the engine is cold to get rid of the rattle. Once it is warm it goes back to normal. When they reflashed it they could have sued the Intelligent Tester to shut off each injector individually and measure flow values between them so see if there is any problems.

If there is a dodgy injector, the other injector will take up the difference. This is how the ECU works. And this will show when being tested.

I had mine reflashed yesterday and it is alot quieter than before.

regarding the fuel filter...In my opinion your asking for trouble waiting till 40,000km to change it....I change mine every service now. the diesel we get here needs all the help it can get to stay clean.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby hiluxruss on Sat, 18 Feb 2012 6:35 +0000

hey man dunno if its already been brought up but my oldies prado d4d auto was doing the same thing old boy put it down aftermarket fuel filter was doing it up to 3 times a day . bought a genuine toyota one and hasnt played up since ;)
hiluxruss

Postby redirtlux on Thu, 10 May 2012 4:42 +0000

Hi All,
I'm a newbie and very dissapointed with the d4d after owning two 1KZ-TE diesel cars.
I know this subject has been done to death.
I just bought 07 Hilux and noticed an engine rattle, so rather than stuff around I fitted 4 new injectors and fuel filter, and cleaned all the crap from the EGR problem is solved now. ( reasonably quiet now )
My question is will I or wont I take the car to toyota now and get the ECU reflashed.
Some say I should after fitting new injectors and some say it does nothing but increase fuel consumption.
What do experts reckon ??
Thanks .
:?: :?:
redirtlux

Postby bloke&tackle on Sat, 12 May 2012 10:20 +0000

redirtlux wrote:Hi All,
I'm a newbie and very dissapointed with the d4d after owning two 1KZ-TE diesel cars.
I know this subject has been done to death.
I just bought 07 Hilux and noticed an engine rattle, so rather than stuff around I fitted 4 new injectors and fuel filter, and cleaned all the crap from the EGR problem is solved now. ( reasonably quiet now )
My question is will I or wont I take the car to toyota now and get the ECU reflashed.
Some say I should after fitting new injectors and some say it does nothing but increase fuel consumption.
What do experts reckon ??
Thanks .
:?: :?:

You need to have 2 things done, both can be done at the same time by Toyota.
The first is a reflash of the engine controller (ECU) to inform it that the engine now runs DLC injectors. This is essential. Toyota should know about it.
The second is to have the codes printed on the top of each injector programmed into the engine controller. You also have to tell the controller which cylinder each injector has been installed to.
If you didn't record the numbers printed on the injectors, you can still see them but will need to remove the after cooler to see them. It's a long (about 30 digits I think) number.
None of this will make your economy worse, quite the opposite.
Regards Chris.

I started life with nothing, and I've still got most of it left
bloke&tackle

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems