FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: FAQ CHIP IT Diesel Performance Solutions Power Module

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 6:04 +0000

Much appreciated Josh

Thanks for that.

Re the pics ... I am sure all here would love to see them. me too :)

Re adding the tuner cable, smart move :mrgreen: :idea:

Noidea wrote:Ok guys, I have installed the chip only an hour or so ago and have quickly run up to the servo for fuel and here are my first initial thoughts......

The install was easy, the unit came as described with all appropriate wiring, I havent had any dramas with power windows etc like lanciar had (hope you get it sorted mate). The power for the unit I got by taping into my CB radios wiring which is a direct feed off the battery and is mounted on the passenger side kick panel so that was an easy task there. Everything else went off without a hitch, I left my USB cable connected to the back of the unit and tucked down the kick panel so I dont have to fiddle around when I want to change tunes in the future etc.

Once installed I did the checks to make sure it was working properly and took to the road, the first thing i noticed is its alot more punchy when accelerating from low rpm's (around 1300) but the real difference comes once you give it a boot full, it accelerates... hard and It wants to just keep reving :) I cant really give any advice yet on fuel consumption as ive only driven 10k's but from my point of view thus far and simply from the seat of the pants difference I can feel already, Im a very happy camper :D :D

Ill be posting up some photos of how it looks behind the glovebox soon and im hoping to get to a dyno in the near future for some more accurate results to show you guys.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Josh
CHIP IT

Postby Lancair on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 6:06 +0000

Yes Robert I have the cable, but it wont connect to the chip. Justin was going to talk to you about that, he thought maybe some of the shelf cables were suspect, some work and some dont. Mine was supplied by Chip It.

I am still tossing up with the idea of changing my diff ratios so changing the tune may not be neccessary. Its the low range and in particular low range engine braking Im trying to restore by modifying the diff ratio.

Lancair
Last edited by Lancair on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 7:02 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Lancair

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 6:33 +0000

Ok understood. Leave it for now and see how the diff ratios work.

let me know how you go

...and if you like send back the cable via snail mail with a note telling us who it is from and what you need us to do with it IE TEST FOR WRITING TO ECU (just so ladies know what to do with it) and an address for the return of it

Cheers Lancair and thanks for the good communications.

Best regards

RR
CHIP IT

Postby 2alandvan2 on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 1:07 +0000

Thanks for the reports guys! I have just ordered mine. If it gets here before friday I will be able to supply some milage figures towing a camper trailer from Australind (south of Perth) to Exmouth and back. Though I doubt it can get here in time. WA might as well be another country when it comes to Australia Post! :D
2alandvan2

Postby tufflux08 on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 3:06 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:Hi Terrence.

Thanks for the positive remarks. Always glad to hear of customers having a good time with the Chips.

We get a kick out of it every time.

Re smoke, you may need to go to tune 3 Terrence.

Tune 4 may be a little optimistic for your situation.

Tune 3 only reduces the initial load setting in any case.

tufflux08 wrote:I just recieved the unit and installed it this morning and had no troubles at all. With a 3inch taipan exhaust it hammers and is very impressive.... i have noticed that when revving it a bit of black smoke comes out.... obviously its unburnt fuel. just wondering if anyone has noticed this as well? other than that awesome unit.

Terrence

Okay so will there be much difference in power between 3 and 5, im guessing only fuel economy? because i really like the power on this setting but a fair bit of black smoke has been coming out only at 1500 revs when the turbo spools up. no smoke before or after that. cheers
tufflux08

Postby CHIP IT on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 5:33 +0000

No total power loss at all. Just the initial response is a LITTLE lower. MAX Torque is the same on the dyno ... just not as fast to get there is the first 500 rpms.

Try tune 4 first if you have 5 loaded.
CHIP IT

Postby Martinhe76 on Sun, 11 Apr 2010 2:55 +0000

Just ordered one too. Have had other chips in the past and I am very keen to see this one in action. Will provide my thoughts once installed and put through its paces.
Martinhe76

Postby tufflux08 on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:19 +0000

Hi Robert i tried a custom tune Justin made for me and its still really smokey when you first put your foot down hard in every gear, its really startin to annoy me.... has any one else on this site got anymore ideas of why this is happening?? i have a 3inch taipan exhaust but its only a month old so i really hope the CAT isnt blocked....
tufflux08

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 12:47 +0000

Whatever tune is in it now, go the the one lower than what was in it when we sent it to you Tuff. Witha 3 inch exhaust you should easily handle tune 4. Do you have a EGR Blank? With EGR blank you should be able to run tune 5

The tune originally loaded is written on the rear of the module.

If your truck was over fueling from factory then our tune 4 (and 5) will be too much. (unless it was REALLY rich, you wont know if it was overfueling unless you had a sniffer up the tail pipe)

No worries Tuff, that's why we have the user interactive software so we can fix issues like this.

As an interest, did Justin's tune reduce the smoke somewhat?

Cheers
CHIP IT

Postby Ox Man on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 1:08 +0000

good stuff..... if you guys are wondering more on the EGR Block, run a search, there is a decent thread on it.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby jop on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 1:48 +0000

I know this is a hilux you are talking about.......but,

I ran the chip on my triton without egr blocked and the diesel smoke was pretty full on (no extra horniness either mmaaxx ;) )
Blocked the egr and i have even more grunt, got rid of a slight surge and next to no smoke - only when i ring it's neck.
Now to buy the boost control module for more 8-)

My 2c
jop

Postby Ox Man on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 2:26 +0000

mate anything you put inside a bistamissing that is aftermarket will make those rigs better :lol: :lol: :lol:

kidding. :twisted:
Ox Man

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 5:30 +0000

We have posted info on this too.

http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=5665&p=75644#p75644

Ox Man wrote:good stuff..... if you guys are wondering more on the EGR Block, run a search, there is a decent thread on it.
CHIP IT

Postby jop on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 5:47 +0000

Ox Man wrote:mate anything you put inside a bistamissing that is aftermarket will make those rigs better :lol: :lol: :lol:

kidding. :twisted:

:mrgreen:

I think anything aftermarket in anything thailand made, makes it better ;)
jop

Postby dustytrails on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 7:10 +0000

Hey Robert, have been following this with great interest (as have alot of others!) and have a couple of questions

Firstly. Can you supply these EGR blocks and/or at least post up detailed pics and info on how to block the EGR valve as i wouldn't have a clue (Landscaper not a mechanic :) )

And secondly. Can or would you be able to do a tune where the torque comes in extra early? The reason i ask is because i tow a tandem trailer (at times very heavy) everyday for work and imo the hilux would benefit greatly taking off and reversing on inclines and even at the lights. My truck already has 2.75" exhaust and snorkle. Your response on this subject will be much appreciated.

Cheers
dustytrails

Postby Ox Man on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 7:20 +0000

dusty,

click on these

http://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php ... 644#p75644
and for part schamtic and futher info
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4076

hope that helps mate ;)

Jop, too true mate....it hurts. :cry: you'll have to bring that thing up to Byfield Nat Park on an upcomming trip, stay posted.
Ox Man

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 8:44 +0000

Hi Dusty

We will get some made shortly however some are just blocking the vacuum line I believe.

All our tunes are made to bring in max torque as early as possibly. This is what makes the vehicles more fun to drive. The limiting factors are the amount of exhaust you can evacuate as quick as possible and if the EGR is blanked off.

Standard Luxs still get a super boost but exhaust and EGR get the highest tune.

We can supply Manta exhausts now if you like. $1399 with a Cat, $1029 without. All systems are 3" Turbo back exhausts. All systems are Aluminised for anti rust

So exhaust and a Power Chip for under $2000 :twisted:

Cheers

dustytrails wrote:Hey Robert, have been following this with great interest (as have alot of others!) and have a couple of questions

Firstly. Can you supply these EGR blocks and/or at least post up detailed pics and info on how to block the EGR valve as i wouldn't have a clue (Landscaper not a mechanic :) )

And secondly. Can or would you be able to do a tune where the torque comes in extra early? The reason i ask is because i tow a tandem trailer (at times very heavy) everyday for work and imo the hilux would benefit greatly taking off and reversing on inclines and even at the lights. My truck already has 2.75" exhaust and snorkle. Your response on this subject will be much appreciated.

Cheers
CHIP IT

Postby johnny5x on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 9:09 +0000

Hi Robert,

Any further developments on making this work for the 05 model diesel?

Cheers
John
johnny5x

Postby oldrev on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 4:07 +0000

efini7 wrote:Hi Robert,

Any further developments on making this work for the 05 model diesel?

Cheers
John

X2
ken
oldrev

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 9:48 +0000

Are the plugs you have planned for the plug & play version similar to my Hilux - 3 pin plug on common rail connector?
I believe the 3 plug is also for Aussie specced version from 2005 to 2006 models.
2007 onwards used a 6 plug connector.

Please feel free to correct me if the info for Aussie specced models is incorrect.

Mine's a 2006 2.5D4D (2KD-FTV without intercooler)

Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems