Injector / Seals / Smoke / Blocked Oil Pickup

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Re: UTE IS TOUGH BUT BREAKABLE ARTICLE

Postby mack on Sat, 19 May 2012 4:59 +0000

Just had a look on Ebay and you can buy a USB endascope for less than $20. As long as it fits it could be good to check in the sump for carbon build up. Also for carbon in inlet manifold?

Any thoughts??
mack

Postby Hellbound on Sat, 19 May 2012 5:26 +0000

Good idea, would love to see what the lower inlet manifold would look like inside, how long is the lead for it?
60% of the time, it works every time
Hellbound

Postby mack on Sat, 19 May 2012 5:35 +0000

2m, 5m, 7m depending on cost but cheaper and easier than replacing sump gasket.
Has anyone used one?
mack

Postby grogfrog on Sun, 20 May 2012 11:44 +0000

WinM70 wrote:
srextra wrote:ahhhh truer words were never spoken, the old war ford or holden becomes moot once good old chrysler gets involved :lol:

Indeed! I had a young bloke at the pub the other night point at my Mopar shirt and ask "what's that?" :lol:
My old FJ55 Cruiser had a "warm" 265 in her.......
Back on topic, where is the pick up screen in relation to the sump plug, or does the sump need to come off?
The reason I ask is if it's easily inspected with a bore scope, I might be able to borrow a fancy one that takes a Micro SD card and record some pics. I Only changed the oil two weeks ago but it's going in for a major service at my father inlaw's workshop to change all the driveline fluids, check valve clearances, EGR cleanout and so on. I'd be willing to dump the oil again in the name of research.

Lee.

G'day Lee,

Mate, I bet that old 265 would probably run without oil!
I have seen a few of those impossible to break in old Vals in the outback!
Now you could have run a 6 pac on the FJ55 as well!

Good luck with the Screen check. Hope your in the clear, If you get stuck, you could manage with a mini Mag lite.

GrogFrog
grogfrog

Toyota replies in 4x4 Aust mag injector/seals/pickup issue

Postby felix on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 7:57 +0000

Looking through a copy of 4x4 Aust and saw a letter written to them (wasn't you was it grogfrog?) about above issue. The mag went to Toyota who replied along the lines of...........material components vary from country to country and the seal issue has not been a noticeable issue in oz.

Might also ad here that I spoke to my local Toyota service dept who assured me that as part of every 40k service when valve adjustments are made that the injectors are removed and the seals are replaced, this is and has always been part of the service regime. If your service centre/mechanic is not doing this then it is not being serviced 'by the book' .
felix

Re: Toyota replies in 4x4 Aust mag injector/seals/pickup iss

Postby Monaz on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:13 +0000

Sounds to me like its just another way of deliberating the problem a little longer wouldnt you say!
Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is Optional..!!
Monaz

Postby Qwerty on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:33 +0000

Aren't they all made in the same Thailand factory ?
Qwerty

Postby BlueChan on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:41 +0000

I thought they were also made in South Africa?
BlueChan

Postby Alby on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:59 +0000

How much would different environment and fuel qualities come into play?

I noticed in todays paper they were having a dig at the Nissan Navara D40, injector fails at 70k and excessively chewing up brake pads and rotors. Toyota fixed that problem, the f$@#&% brakes don't work so you won't wear them out :|

I would think that with the number of forum members here that if this injector seal was a major issue you would be hearing a lot more about it so their comment may well be justified??
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby MarkYounger on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:23 +0000

Well I can say ours are made in Argentina and we do not seem to have a breaking issue however the injectors do need to be bumped up to the DLC. I had not heard about the ring/seals failing until that dude started spamming it all over the forum. I could buy that though. I know they are made differently at different factories it is all slight but it is different. The euro models for example are like 20mm shorter than ours and the Thailand made models.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:33 +0000

Alby wrote:How much would different environment and fuel qualities come into play?

Different environments and different fuel qualities also equals different states of Engine Tune (aka ECU tuning).

Thats also plays a part in it. Just because there has been a reccuring fault in European market doesnt necessarily mean the same will happen here, thou it is always good to be aware and vigilant of any potential problems.....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby grogfrog on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 2:37 +0000

felix wrote:Looking through a copy of 4x4 Aust and saw a letter written to them (wasn't you was it grogfrog?) about above issue. The mag went to Toyota who replied along the lines of...........material components vary from country to country and the seal issue has not been a noticeable issue in oz.

Might also ad here that I spoke to my local Toyota service dept who assured me that as part of every 40k service when valve adjustments are made that the injectors are removed and the seals are replaced, this is and has always been part of the service regime. If your service centre/mechanic is not doing this then it is not being serviced 'by the book' .

Hi Felix,

This is an interesting response from your local Dealer that they acknowledge a "need" to change the seals at this service interval. This appears to be in line with the NZ approach on Injector seals. I see that many others have commented that their own dealer may just do an audible valve clearance check and would never check the seals. If this is the case and a long term undetected leaking seal killed your regularly serviced engine due to an Oil Pickup screen clog as a result of this leak, should an owner have to wear the massive cost of engine replacement? Guys, definately in OZ, just as has been the case OS, engines have died this way. I don't feel you should have to wear it, and I think in this respect if you put a good case you will not have to go it alone!

But to avoid all this, just ensure your engine is checked for this known issue.

Grogy
grogfrog

Postby jimO on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 2:48 +0000

Alby wrote:How much would different environment and fuel qualities come into play?

the f$@#&% brakes don't work so you won't wear them out :|

the brakes on my 2012 lux are 200% better than the 06s brakes
jimO

Postby Alby on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 5:21 +0000

jimO wrote:

That is good to hear
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 7:24 +0000

Alby wrote:
jimO wrote:

That is good to hear

Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby grogfrog on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 7:53 +0000

Qwerty wrote:Aren't they all made in the same Thailand factory ?

G'day Qwerty,

Hilux production occurs in a few countries, but my guess is that all the Donks ship out of Japan to the relevent assembly plant. Based on the amount sold in OZ, they should be building them here instead of Camry's dont ya think? This would help keep a few more TMC workers in a Job downunder.

Grogy
grogfrog

Postby MarkYounger on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 8:06 +0000

Yeah I would say fuel quality is big too, as we dont have low sulfur diesel here.
Check out my build: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10969
MarkYounger

Postby grogfrog on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 8:29 +0000

I noticed in todays paper they were having a dig at the Nissan Navara D40, injector fails at 70k and excessively chewing up brake pads and rotors. Toyota fixed that problem, the f$@#&% brakes don't work so you won't wear them out :|

I would think that with the number of forum members here that if this injector seal was a major issue you would be hearing a lot more about it so their comment may well be justified??

Hi Alby & crew on this thread,

unfortunately I don't beleive fuel quality should have anything to do with a copper injector seal washer starting to leak. The problem is a simple seal failure. As we all know, the basic solution to a leaking seal, or a potentially leaking seal, is to replace it, probably at regular intervals.

Where this problem becomes diabolical is when this leaking seal is not replaced, since because our D4D injectors are enclosed under the rocker cover, the "leak" is hot combustion gas into your rocker cover, cooked oil, heavy carbon contamination into your lube system, glogged oil pickup, oil starvation of engine and inevitable engine failure. This can be avoided by simple seal replacement, and monitoring of this problem at a service level. I believe this is happening in NZ and perhaps now in OZ as was suggested at the start of this thread.

Most of the good ol' fuel systems as you know had injector ports exposed visible outside the engine, so if you did have a leak, it was far more obvious, and the combustion gas leak simply went to atmosphere, not injected into your lube system if it is under the rocker cover. This arrangement has changed for a number of good reasons, however once you risk injecting combustion waste into your engine lubrication system, you need new service measures to monitor this potential, identify sympoms, like a simple screen inspection through the sump bung drain, and deal with it as soon as it is identified. Current service schedules in OZ I do not beleive monitor for this risk, nor have proper measures in place to deal with it early before it becomes a disaster.

It does not matter where the Hilux is built, nor for which market, they all share the same basic engine and the fuel systems architecture, despite different tunning, are all the same, with the same seal, seal face and materials.

This seal problem will be common to all markets, even our own here in OZ, and the evidence of failure is well reported here as well.

Guys, It will be wise to keep an eye on this issue, if you do , your well maintained D4D is far more likely to do half a million miles plus easy.

GrogF
grogfrog

Postby grogfrog on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 8:33 +0000

MarkYounger wrote:Well I can say ours are made in Argentina and we do not seem to have a breaking issue however the injectors do need to be bumped up to the DLC. I had not heard about the ring/seals failing until that dude started spamming it all over the forum. I could buy that though. I know they are made differently at different factories it is all slight but it is different. The euro models for example are like 20mm shorter than ours and the Thailand made models.

Hey Mark,

Check the video link in grogfrog's my garage. This is a Hilux in your territory mate. Actually looks like your rig....Only joking!

grogf
grogfrog

Postby Wing on Fri, 08 Jun 2012 9:25 +0000

When the injector rattling issue was raised, hundreds of members in Hilux / Prado forums responded as victims.
The injector seal issue has been raised for quite a while. How many victims are out there?
Wing

PreviousNext

Return to Fuel Systems