ironman suspension squeaking??

ironman suspension squeaking??

Postby jpecs on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:03 +0000

good day from trinidad!

just wondering, ive had my 2009 hilux since march of 2009 and i got the ironman suspension put in at 20,000k. ive now put roughly 6000ks on it and since i got it the suspension squeaks like crazy!!!

has anyone else had problems wit the ironman suspension?
also is there any way to stop it or do i have to live with it until its time for a change!

p.s. Ironman 4x4 is relatively new here as a company in trinidad so im not so sure about the mechanics skills that installed them for me and the only other brand that i can purchase down here is OME (expensive as hell), and they are installed by Ironman seeing that Ironman brings down both Ironman and ARB...idk what its like in AUS seeing that ive never been there but thats how it is here. just wondering if its bad installation thats causing the squeaking or just a typical feature?

any feed back would be much appreciated.
thanks! - jon paul
jpecs

Re: ironman suspension squeaking??

Postby Steve9R on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:17 +0000

Welcome to the site!

squeeking where ? front or rear ? if in the rear, then it'll be the bushes.. by default the bushes are rubber, and if they arent greased up before installation will squeek.. pull them apart and grease em up and i think you'll find your squeeks will disappear ;)

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby dermy on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:39 +0000

also the ironman bushes arent very good quality could be an idea to just replace them all
dermy

Postby eMOJO on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:11 +0000

you could also try applying some graphite spray between the leaf packs if the squeeking doesn't go away after your bushes are attended to.

Also worth checking your U-bolts to make sure they're nice and tight as these can also work loose after the springs have run in.
I suffer from UAD...
Uncontrolable Awesomeness D!sorder

4ROCs Offroad + Adventure :: EPS Photography
eMOJO

Postby jpecs on Fri, 11 Mar 2011 8:44 +0000

thanks a lot fellas!..ill be sure to try all ways to stop the squeaking.

steve, its both front and rear that is squeaking. also isnt the bushings polyutherane?...thats what the salesman told me i remember because i like that over rubber as rubber dry rots?...im not too sure but im almost certain the bushing are polyutherane...correct me if im wrong thanks!

thanks for the responses tho guys, much appreciated!

jon paul :D
jpecs

Postby Dluxv6 on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 5:13 +0000

Jon
if bushes are polyurethane they can squeak if they were not greased properly
use molyledenum disulphide grease for poly urethane

also it may pay to put car on level surface (driveway )and undo all suspension mount points (only enough to release tension)then drive backwards and forwards (10 metres)to release any bush that be tight from install
some guys when installing suspension on hoists just tighten up everything when in the air(suspension droop) but as soon as they put vehicle on ground all bushes are under tension and will squeak like crazy over time

if this doesn't help

turn up the stereo ;) ;)

Cheers Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jpecs on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:26 +0000

thanks a lot Drew...i would let yall know if they work!
jpecs

Postby jpecs on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 10:27 +0000

PS - i LOVE this site...crazy amount of info here and some seriously bess trucks! . wish i could get my truck to look like the ones here.
jpecs

Postby kyle300exc on Sat, 12 Mar 2011 6:31 +0000

mate its not just iron man, I still have stock suspesion on back and after being out and thru mud last weekend mine is squeaking its head off as well. Shoved the gernie in there but no luck. Sounds like I will av to take the same advice as youve been given :twisted:
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby jpecs on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 4:11 +0000

so i couldnt get the graphite spray, the local hardware store didnt have so instead i got silicone lubricant...tried it out this morning on the leaf springs and took it for a run...so far it isnt squeaking :D:D...so im trying to wait it out, if it still squeaks then i shall loosen up the bolts and drive it then tighten it back up and hope for the best!!
jpecs

Postby eMOJO on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 9:36 +0000

Good to hear (not hear haha) that's it's sorted for now... I usually get about 6 months before giving them another spray or after being on the beach and any deep water.
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby jpecs on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 5:22 +0000

SO..it started back squeaking again. so i loosened up all the bolts except for the bolt that holds the strut up on top and went up and down for a bit in a small garage. then sprayed some silicone lubricant again and it still squeaks :( :shock: ...the only thing i didnt do is change the bushings but thats a bit difficult for me. by chance would that one bolt on the strut make much of a difference?...its driving me insane
jpecs

Postby ultimate on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 6:12 +0000

One possible cause of the squeak is if the top hat (top coil seat) is not located properly on the bush or washer. This will allow it to rub against the shaft and cause a terrible squeaking noise. If left unchecked, it will eventually cut into the top hat and/or shaft. You will need to pull the strut apart to check this.

Here's a photo from seb's thread showing what happened to his top hat after it was rubbing on the shaft.

Another possible cause of the squeak is if the coil is rubbing against the bottom coil seat. There needs to be a small gap to allow the coil to move. If there isn't, it will continually to rub against the seat and cause a similar squeaking noise. Once again, you would have to pull the strut apart to fix this problem. It’s not the best picture, but you can kind of see the gap between the coil and the step on the seat.

The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby jpecs on Wed, 16 Mar 2011 8:32 +0000

thanks a lot ultimate. i wasnt too much concerned about the front suspension up until just now as i heard most of the squeaking coming from the back. as far as my untrained eye can see though is that the bearings are all greased up, the bolts were all tight but my god it still squeaks. i am unfortunately afraid of interfering with the front suspension as i dont have much experience or tools to handle taking off front suspension. i figure seeing as it is on warranty ill take it back to the shop and see what they can do. i also do remember talking to a salesman for ironman and him saying that i would have to live with it :S ...anyways, some more help would be GREAT!

thanks again
jp
jpecs

Postby eMOJO on Thu, 17 Mar 2011 7:45 +0000

Are your shackles greasable?
I suffer from UAD...

eMOJO

Postby jpecs on Fri, 18 Mar 2011 2:17 +0000

hmmm...i am not sure...they are the typical ironman suspension shackles...ill post a picture of it up later
jpecs

Postby 9W6VX on Fri, 18 Mar 2011 1:33 +0000

If your shackles are greasable, they will have nipples at the sides of the shackle.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby jpecs on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 12:45 +0000

http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/images/I ... ackles.jpg

those are the shackles that i have so i take them they are greasable?...what grease should i use then?

thanks
jp.
jpecs

Postby Dluxv6 on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 4:38 +0000

JP

if bushes are polyurethane then use molybenum disulphide grease (black in colour)
if bushes are rubber then use castrol rubber grease (red in colour)
both are available from auto stores

these two are what i have used when i was working for Lovell/koni
Cheers Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jpecs on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 9:21 +0000

me greasing them up would mean that i have to take off the suspension and the bushing to do it...dont wana sound like a noob but im just making sure :oops:
jpecs

Next

Return to Suspension