Dangers of Strut spacers

Re: Dangers of Strut spacers

Postby ultimate on Mon, 24 May 2010 2:39 +0000

Waxing off topic now, if I was really cheeky while Ken and Brendan are out of the country, I'd say go the body lift with a 2-3" suspension lift because the headlights will be too high to do both a BL and Ultimate's suspension according to the ADRs!

I may be out of the country but this forums global mate :twisted: you’re lucky though...I will let it slide this time. Without getting too far off track, both products are well designed and it just depends on the individual's budget and application. Our most common suspension products are still the 2" lifts, but the 4" Smart Lift is a great option for customers seeking:
-Better comfort and handling
-Ability to fit larger tyres without scrubbing
-correct driveline geometry
-increased clearance and articulation.
-strengthened steering components
-better sex appeal ;)

SPRING SPACERS are fitted between the coil spring and the top hat of the strut.

STRUT SPACERS are fitted between the strut top hat and the chassis strut mount.

Two very different modifications with two very different results. Neither result is good but need to be looked at separately. People will need to look at different failure points as these products work very differently and cause different issues.

Regards,
Cam

What are the differences you guys identified between the two? Coil spacers on a live axle vehicle are different but I can’t see the difference on a strut. All of the cases we have seen have shown the spacers (either type) simply limit bump and over extend droop. Unless I’m not thinking straight (and it is a late at night in Dubai), the spacers will have the same effect as they both produce the same pressure on the coil and bring it to the same height. The only thing I can think of is a strut collet to reposition the coil seat. We use this design on our struts but it doesn’t not have any adverse affects on the suspension travel or strength.

yeah rod ill jack mine up on the crossmember and just let the front wheels droop. ill measure from wheel arch to centre of wheel. mines running stock with spacers. im interested in this cos i can see every ones point about my down travel prob being a danger. ill get pics as well. be good chance to check it out as well.

We have repaired vehicle which have damaged CVs and shocks from running spacers with OEM Struts. It’s simply because the Hilux does not have a bump stop for the rebound unlike some other models. The spacers still over extend the droop which may not dislocate the CV, but can still force it to operate at bad angles. Working at the sever angles significantly reduces the life of the CVs and can cause them to fail in certain circumstances (e.g.- hitting something while at full droop or turning on full lock). Here’s a picture below of vehicle running raised height coils and spacers with OEM struts. This was taken at static height and you can see the CV is already at a sever angle and the top control arm is forced down onto the coil. Considering this is static height, imagine how dangerous and rough this is for both on and off road driving. (sorry about the quality....they were taken with my phone)

There’s a lot of dodgy and illegal products out there now which are putting vehicles and lives at risk. My personal opinion is to stay with the proven technologies and do everything right the first time round. It may cost more in the beginning but can save you thousands in the long run.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby VMN on Mon, 24 May 2010 4:29 +0000

pootrol wrote:yeah rod ill jack mine up on the crossmember and just let the front wheels droop. ill measure from wheel arch to centre of wheel. mines running stock with spacers. im interested in this cos i can see every ones point about my down travel prob being a danger. ill get pics as well. be good chance to check it out as well.

I'll try and do likewise. Don't forget the droop and the ball joint binding is just part of the problem. I think the strut failures shown is probably caused when the strut bottoms out and carries the weight of the car on up travel. This will happen a lot more than you think on corrugated dirt roads, particulaly with stock suspension. I might get you to email me some high res photos
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby VMN on Mon, 24 May 2010 6:35 +0000

Before I forget. Eyebrow heights 765mm at rest, 860mm on full droop. Tough Dog 2" Kit with adjustable shocks.

I took a few phtos and will try a couple of angles similar to Brendon's later on today.

Brendan, I knew you couldn't resist getting a fix of Hilux mania even when out of the country... :lol: ... Are you saying those photos are taken with the car just sitting on the driveway? Is that what you mean by static height? If so, that is a pretty scary angle...
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby camwill69 on Mon, 24 May 2010 6:43 +0000

Hey Brendan,
I see it very differently to you regarding the difference between the STRUT SPACER and the SPRING SPACER. Two very different mods with very similar results (lift). But should be looked at totally differently.

SPRING SPACERS do not over extend on droop as the shock limits are kept as original, therefor limiting damage to uppercontrol arm ball joints and stopping horizontal presure being exerted to the strut when control arms come in contact with the spring. But many other issues arise with the use of these spacers, like, spring rotation, upper seating displacement and failure of the spacer itself to name a few. These issue's are very different to those out lined for STRUT SPACERS, and need to be seperated from confusion. If you have spring spacers you need to be aware of it's particular failures and not those of a similar product. No use looking for ball joint failures if the spring is not retained at the top of the strut.

Hope you are enjoying your trip, hear from you soon.

Cam
camwill69

Postby ultimate on Mon, 24 May 2010 10:29 +0000

Before I forget. Eyebrow heights 765mm at rest, 860mm on full droop. Tough Dog 2" Kit with adjustable shocks.

I took a few phtos and will try a couple of angles similar to Brendon's later on today.

Brendan, I knew you couldn't resist getting a fix of Hilux mania even when out of the country... ... Are you saying those photos are taken with the car just sitting on the driveway? Is that what you mean by static height? If so, that is a pretty scary angle...

Guilty as charge :( Seeing all the Hiluxes over here just made me want to see how things are in Aus. Although our hiluxes are definitely more impressive than the ones here. I will start up a picture thread tonight as there are some interesting vehicles here. Dubai basically has the best of European, American and Asian vehicles in the one city. I have never seen anything like it before.

Yeah static height is standard driving height. This was taken when the vehicle was parked on flat ground outside our workshop.

With the measurements for your vehicle; are they taken from the centre of the wheel to the guard? If it is you have a crazy 9" lift :lol: Our smart lift has a front eyebrow height of 620 which is a 100mm increase over the standard 520.

Hey Brendan,
I see it very differently to you regarding the difference between the STRUT SPACER and the SPRING SPACER. Two very different mods with very similar results (lift). But should be looked at totally differently.

SPRING SPACERS do not over extend on droop as the shock limits are kept as original, therefor limiting damage to uppercontrol arm ball joints and stopping horizontal presure being exerted to the strut when control arms come in contact with the spring. But many other issues arise with the use of these spacers, like, spring rotation, upper seating displacement and failure of the spacer itself to name a few. These issue's are very different to those out lined for STRUT SPACERS, and need to be seperated from confusion. If you have spring spacers you need to be aware of it's particular failures and not those of a similar product. No use looking for ball joint failures if the spring is not retained at the top of the strut.

Hope you are enjoying your trip, hear from you soon.

Cam

Thanks for clearing that up mate. I understand what you’re saying now.
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby VMN on Mon, 24 May 2010 10:38 +0000

ultimate wrote:[, I knew you Yeah static height is standard driving height. This was taken when the vehicle was parked on flat ground outside our workshop.

With the measurements for your vehicle; are they taken from the centre of the wheel to the guard? If it is you have a crazy 9" lift :lol: Our smart lift has a front eyebrow height of 620 which is a 100mm increase over the standard 520.

Nah, we are lazy and measure from the bottom of the rim so you can hook the tape measure on something. With a 16" rim
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby pootrol on Mon, 24 May 2010 9:46 +0000

measured mine today. the measurement i got was at full droop from centre of wheel to wheel arch is 630mm.
will post pics up soon. my full droop actually looks like ultimates pics at static funily enough hah ah um.... :?
Last edited by pootrol on Mon, 24 May 2010 10:15 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby pootrol on Mon, 24 May 2010 10:00 +0000

would i be right in saying rod that your full droop is actually 657mm approx.from wheel centre to arch.

i still believe until proven wrong that a 2" will droop the same if not lower than a strut spaced stock. the reason i think this is you will still need as much extension from static as a standard susp to keep road handling, ie not lifting wheels on bumpy bends etc. the weight on the shock on compression raises another issue that i should look at. i actually thought mine was still bump stopping thou cos i looked under there a while back and noticed them nicely polished.better have another look.
pootrol

Postby VMN on Tue, 25 May 2010 4:28 +0000

pootrol wrote:would i be right in saying rod that your full droop is actually 657mm approx.from wheel centre to arch.

i still believe until proven wrong that a 2" will droop the same if not lower than a strut spaced stock. the reason i think this is you will still need as much extension from static as a standard susp to keep road handling, ie not lifting wheels on bumpy bends etc. the weight on the shock on compression raises another issue that i should look at. i actually thought mine was still bump stopping thou cos i looked under there a while back and noticed them nicely polished.better have another look.

I better check it out again when I get a moment but it might take a few days before I get the time. I don't think my Tough Dogs bottom out on the bump stops but will see if they are polished...
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby tasibrett on Tue, 25 May 2010 6:48 +0000

I haven't seen any discussion on the first photos Rod put up regarding the spaces are fitted to bilsteins that already are 35mm longer plus the spacers giving a 4" lift
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Steve9R on Tue, 25 May 2010 7:56 +0000

interesting.. As you probably know i got rid of my spacers about a month ago now after having them in for 18months.. we checked ball joints etc and there was no problems whatsoever.. the only thing i noticed was that there were a couple of scrapes on the outside of the coil from the UCA touching it on full droop.. but to me that is acting as a limiting factor as well..(Yes... I know you could potentially bind the UCA with the spring, but you'd have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen, and Ive never heard or seen it happening) if the UCA cant go down your shock cant either cause there's nowhere left to travel.. Max posted up how to extend the front bump stops using washers etc a long time ago.. and i still feel that is worth doing with spacers..

the thing is with all these failures, the spacers are being blamed, but ive seen vehicles with no spacers break shocks exactly the same way (go out central australia and see how many strut failures the mechanics have seen! ).... how can you possibly rule out manufacturing defect from just look at these photos ?? i dont think you can...

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby MADDOG on Tue, 25 May 2010 8:47 +0000

Can we rule out the third photo in Rods original post? That broken strut has never been on a vehicle. Or if it has they did a very good job at cleaning a now useless part after it broke. The whole assembly is spotless. Looks like it's a photo from a testing facility or something. I'm not trying to discredit you or the claims Rod, it's just that I don't think the picture can be used as evidence in the NewHilux.net Court of Law. :| :)
MADDOG

Postby rodw on Tue, 25 May 2010 9:24 +0000

MADDOG wrote:Can we rule out the third photo in Rods original post? That broken strut has never been on a vehicle. Or if it has they did a very good job at cleaning a now useless part after it broke. The whole assembly is spotless. Looks like it's a photo from a testing facility or something. I'm not trying to discredit you or the claims Rod, it's just that I don't think the picture can be used as evidence in the NewHilux.net Court of Law. :| :)

Feel free to rule out whatever you want, just as long as you are not the driver! I disclosed the source of the pics and was just bring this matter to the attention of forum members and why.

When I looked at that pic though, I saw a very new spacer and not so new (but pretty new) strut and spring. You see that sort of spacer on some of the monster Thai kits. Looks like it did not last long.....
rodw

Postby pootrol on Tue, 25 May 2010 4:38 +0000

i dont think spacers are a good option. but what id like to rule out by doing these comparisons once and for all is that spacers dont contribute to ball joint failure etc. if a 2'' kit out droops a spaced stock then theres no probs. if i still hit the bump stops its all good. but they can be extended any how. alot of these susp failure pics are massive lifted luxs that are pushing the ifs front ends beyond there limited capabilities and causing stress in all the wrong places. i guess why id like to run these comparisons is my opinion is the ifs is not worth spending money on at all cos its limited. id rather save for lockers etc. so who can step up and show us some 2" lifted full droop measurments. ;)
pootrol

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 26 May 2010 10:45 +0000

pootrol wrote:so who can step up and show us some 2" lifted full droop measurments. ;)

the following I quoted from my "Swaybar Removal and Bump Stop Mod Thread" linked below -

http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=4510

after the 6mm spacer install(15mm uptravel reduction) I have exactly 4 inches of down travel and 4.7" of uptravel equating to 8.7" of total suspension travel.

Now If I removed that spacer and if the tyres would foul on the guards (which they would, "just") I'd have 9.3" of suspension travel !

I reckon thats not bad! Cant wait for these upgraded driveshafts to come out, then I can set her up for abit more droop. :twisted:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby pootrol on Sat, 19 Jun 2010 3:55 +0000

the only reason why the front struts fail at the bottom eye its only welded in 2x small spots to the shocky leg. i think i might get the welder out.........
pootrol

Postby ILKBOMB on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:43 +0000

damn its so back and forth
really want a 2" lift but dont want to fork out 2 odd k :(
gut is saying you get what u pay for but then pootrol has very valid points

If your not doing any 4x4 just casual day to day driving can they be a decent alternative?
hrmmmm.......
ILKBOMB

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:48 +0000

the other thing to decrease that CV angle though is to install the diff drop kit.. i know i know it lowers your useable height etc etc.. BUT it decreases the CV angle... and is probably why i never had any problems..

just a thought..
Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Macca on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 2:49 +0000

Just read this and support Rod Max and others that these are very dangerous mods, especially with out bump stop extension.
I my case the problem was I hadn't extended the bump stop.
Pre spacer at full compression the lower part of the strut moves up compressing the strut the bump stop stops it being closed beyond the design.
Now fit a 25mm spacer the top of the strut is now 25mm lower, the strut now closes 25mm further untill the bump stop stops it.
That is 25mm beyond design and all the internals take a hammering, the shock fails to do its job.
Now at full droop it hits the internals hard, all that hammering stresses something -that being the weakest part, the welds on the post and ring at the bottom of the strut.
None of this happens on road, take your ute across the Simpson and all those ridges and moguls get the suspension at full travel. Thats when these problems appear at the worse possible time and place.
Good topic Rod, been a bit passionate about this since my woes, hope members here drop them off their mod list as its no fun driving on a suspect or failed suspension.
Macca
Macca

Postby ultimate on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 3:53 +0000

x2

Nicely said Macca.
The Team at
ultimate

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension