Dangers of Strut spacers

Re: Dangers of Strut spacers

Postby nzuky on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 6:08 +0000

Fair comment but you see pictures of broken struts when you don't set them up right, but you don't see pictures of broken brake pads. You don't expect a shock to break. This happens when spacers are fitted. When it does break, things dangle around and there are risks from this which I would not like to face at highway speeds. Sure I would be happy replacing shocks where the internals have gone through fair wear and tear though.

I have actually seen a few tyre failures just due to poor manufacturing. I know I'm going out on a limb here but Mr Toyota may possibly have under engineered the strength of the strut? The evidence is not really that conclusive that it is the spacer causing the problem. I would think factors like the weight of the accessories bolted to a lot of these vehicle is changing the parameters for which that strut was designed? Again just a theory.

Hugo
nzuky

Postby Alby on Wed, 28 Jul 2010 7:48 +0000

I am surprised there is so much talk on this subject, it is a bit of a 'no brainer' IMHO

The cost difference between replacing your front shocks and fitting a set of spacers is a couple of tanks of fuel at best. Apart from maintaining full articulation, you will also enjoy a much better, safer ride and handling with a good quality aftermarket strut. You are paying bugger all more for a far superior result.

It is only when you start adding more mods (bar, winch, dual battery etc) that you need to look at upgrading springs and rear leaves etc to maintain ride height / quality so the cost of this is a seperate issue (and cost) to a more standard lux just looking for a lift for street appeal.Two different situations
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby pootrol on Thu, 29 Jul 2010 7:20 +0000

I have actually seen a few tyre failures just due to poor manufacturing. I know I'm going out on a limb here but Mr Toyota may possibly have under engineered the strength of the strut? The evidence is not really that conclusive that it is the spacer causing the problem. I would think factors like the weight of the accessories bolted to a lot of these vehicle is changing the parameters for which that strut was designed? Again just a theory.

Hugo[/quote]

yeah mate i do share the same theory about failures. the prob is any one that puts these in is wanting to ad bigger tyres and go more places with rougher than normal tracks hence the fact now we are pushing the crappy stock ones past what they can handle. when you look how the stem attatches to the eye you can see why failure happens. apparently even cruisers suffer the same shock issue. i think the argument needs to swing away from spacer haters to stock shock haters. i know theres pics of massive hard core susp kits with spacers on them but honestly i dont think the trucks drive to the shops when they snapped. in my situation buying this truck compared to what i had was a learning curve. i went spacers first as i wasnt sure what to do but i needed lift to play. after meeting other people seeing them in action seriously looking at how mines made compared to there after market stuff i definatley dont intend to keep mine much longer.
See my face book page at. Custom canopies.
pootrol

Postby Rebs on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:44 +0000

Want to lift just the front of my new SR5 dual cab 25-30mm. That with the 31” tyres will give about 50-55mm more clearance under the front cross member which is all I am after and the vehicle will sit level. Only weight on the front is a Toyota steel bull bar. I am satisfied with the ride quality etc of the stock suspension and do not want to mess with it any more than necessary. (Too old now for donuts, rigid springs and street appeal etc) Also want to keep cost down. Spent enough already!
This Hilux is not a daily drive but a touring vehicle, usually with camper in tow and will see plenty of gravel & dirt roads. Experience with my previous Hilux (06 SR5 dual cab) that did considerable outback touring was - a brilliant vehicle other than the front sagged a bit and a “couple inches” more clearance under the front cross member would have been handy at times.
I have read this thread a couple of times and it really got me thinking about messing with IFS Hiluxs'.
• Was considering strut spacers but not likely now.
• Never heard or seen coil spacers that go on top of the coil springs??
• Was considering aftermarket struts, the type with the grooves cut in the strut base that allows some height adjustment, but wary of firmer ride and those I've found are $500 plus.
• My preference now would be to put in new coils but haven’t found aftermarket any in 25–30mm lift range that have same ride as stock ones.
Any feedback appreciated.
Rebs
Rebs

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 22 Aug 2010 12:35 +0000

Rebs,

Try this link.
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3994

If I remember correctly, King Springs has a part number KTFS-101 which will raise the front by 25mm.
Try contact King springs direct.

The email address is sales@kingsprings.com.au
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby brooky on Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:43 +0000

i had ironman struts and kings spring combo , i bent a strut out the back of white cliffs nsw and tryed to limp back to town and it let go , lucky we where going slow and the stut landed in the lower contol arm and dinn't take out the cv boot and brake line, have replaced both struts with old man emu so hope it has fixed the problem. i still think that shaft on the bottom of the struts are to thin(even oldman emu) but compared to a stock toyota one they look like something of a mountain bike!
brooky

Postby stevehastings on Sat, 01 Jan 2011 9:18 +0000

Well just joined this form and I was about to buy the front spacers off ebay, not now. I think I will just replace the stock shocks with the OME sport nitro-gas shocks, has any one fitted these? any feed back would be great, as for the spaces I glad I did read these and not wast the money. Thanks Steve.
Live for today, as tomorrow is not here yet.
stevehastings

Postby tabongski on Wed, 19 Jan 2011 5:23 +0000

Good day Sirs,

I'm planning to replaced my Stock front suspension with Bilstein 5100 series, do you have any ideas what's the part number for toyota hilux application. Any inputs is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Fred...
tabongski

Postby ricataca on Tue, 08 Feb 2011 9:45 +0000

Great article Rod..

Thats completely true, happened to my 4 moths ago. I was with a couple of friends at about 150 km. from home. Thanks god i was only going 30 km/h when i hit a rock and my shock broke down like the third and fourth picture.. we had to weld the strut of the shock to go back to the road... ;) ....
ricataca

Postby dazzah on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 4:33 +0000

Hi all
I'm new to this forum, actually signed up so I could check out what suspension mods were available and be able to read about others experiences, etc... I only purchased my 05 hilux last week, so still in research mode on suspension mods.
Anyways i was contemplating strut spacers, but I am confused...
I'll explain how i'm picturing strut spacers compared to after market struts...
The bottom of the strut and the top of the strut still bolt into the same position, wether you're using the std strut, a strut spacer, or say 2" extented strut package...is that correct?
The diff stays in the same spot, cv angles will still be effected with either lift...
Maybe someone can explain it better if I have it wrong.
Thanks
dazza
dazzah

Postby VMN on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:02 +0000

dazzah wrote:Hi all
I'm new to this forum, actually signed up so I could check out what suspension mods were available and be able to read about others experiences, etc... I only purchased my 05 hilux last week, so still in research mode on suspension mods.
Anyways i was contemplating strut spacers, but I am confused...
I'll explain how i'm picturing strut spacers compared to after market struts...
The bottom of the strut and the top of the strut still bolt into the same position, wether you're using the std strut, a strut spacer, or say 2" extented strut package...is that correct?
The diff stays in the same spot, cv angles will still be effected with either lift...
Maybe someone can explain it better if I have it wrong.
Thanks
dazza

Read the first two posts on this thread carefully and think about it.

I know it is hard to grasp, but the shock can droop lower as it is lower so the extension and ball joint angles are at unsafe limits, the ball joint can't handle it and binds and dints and maybe even breaks. On up travel, it means that the top of the strut is lower so the spring bottoms out and breaks the bottom leg. That's why Mmaaxx says to extend the bump stop so the bump stop limits up travel before the shock disintegrates when it runs out of movement on up travel.

Just an aside, I was talking to the workshop manager at TJM here two days ago. He had a problem in a mate's car with a spacer fitted with an EFS lift. The UCA was contacting the spring and the ball joint was binding. I supplied him some extended ball joints and 2 hours later, he was on the phone again as the ball joint was binding. I told him to rip out the spacers and I would take the ball joints back. Rang him yesterday and he said he decided to keep the ball joints as the factory ones were already too worn for his liking and he wanted to replace them for safety.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby dazzah on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 5:20 +0000

VMN wrote:
pootrol wrote:can some one explain to me how a strut spaced stock coil over is different to a 2" lifted coil over. it should be the same overall length hence pushing the control arms to the same angle which then creates the lift. i would of thought the ball joint issue would be the same for both. i can understand the bottom of the shock snapping cos of weaker material and the spacer prob creating more tension due to its mount point being lowered.

Because you can make a higher shock/spring combo but keep the length of the piston short enough to limit the down travel so the ball joint does not bind.

Thanks VMN for the reply...I just went through and re-read this thread, and tried to visualise what ppl were saying, that post I quoted was what I was thinking aswell and your reply has answered it...I only bought my hilux last week and haven't had the time to pull the wheel off and have a good look at the suspension set up.
dazzah

Postby McAuley on Tue, 31 May 2011 9:21 +0000

Great article, I was considering this as, front end has sagged greatly since installed winch bar and winch.
Probably been brought up before -- What is the best suggestion to regain some of this lift and ground clearance?

Had - Old Man Emu Suspension 2" Lift, then installed winch bar and winch which caused sag.

cheers
McAuley

Postby ultimate on Tue, 31 May 2011 9:54 +0000

Either upgrade the spring or have look if your OME strut is adjustable (Some later ones are). If it is, you should be able to raise the coil seat with a 10mm spacer to regain the height that was lost. This is completely different to strut spacer and has no adverse affect on the vehicle or suspension components.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby asmo on Tue, 31 May 2011 10:02 +0000

McAuley wrote:Great article, I was considering this as, front end has sagged greatly since installed winch bar and winch.
Probably been brought up before -- What is the best suggestion to regain some of this lift and ground clearance?

Had - Old Man Emu Suspension 2" Lift, then installed winch bar and winch which caused sag.

cheers

It seems quite a few suffer sagging with Old man, Dunno weather they offer different rates of spring for bar and winch or if the quality is a little off ? but you can go a "stronger" Old man ( if they offer it ) or another brand of spring and / or shock absorber ( strut ) but ensure they know your weight of the front end by either telling the supplier you have a winch , Bar (steel or Alloy) duel batt compressor roof rack type of load etc, or go to the weigh bridge. Have a chat to them to explain your needs.

There are lots of brands and a little reading on the forum will show the ones that are suited for your set up and provide many years of sag free driving, Have a look at the Rekon kits from Monster rides.
I have tough dog at 2 " lift and haven't sagged after the first few months ( now 1.5 yrs )

basically you need a spring able to hold the extra weight up.
asmo

Postby VMN on Tue, 31 May 2011 6:30 +0000

Time has passed on but if you roll back the clock 3 years when no one knew much about these trucks, OME was one of the handful of lift kits available. However, it quickly fell out of favour because of the sag issues many members experienced. OME even manufactured some 5mm nylon packers to insert with the springs to fix the sag. These were only $5 each. So it might be worth checking with ARB. If your shocks and springs are still good then this would be the cheapest fix. Some people needed two of them.

There is an old thread I started (as RodW) in 2007 called "Front Suspension Research" which might yield some useful links and info if you can unearth it but I did not buy OME!
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby McAuley on Tue, 31 May 2011 7:35 +0000

Cheers guys, I think I'll call in where got suspension installed and check what they can do, and upgrade spring.

Cheers again
McAuley

Postby mduncan on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 8:06 +0000

Just thinking more about this

Strut spacers come in many different sizes. I've got 5mm one's fitted on top of my Koni struts.

I've seen 10mm ones, 22mm ones, and 35mm ones. Now, I wouldn't touch the 22mm and 35mm ones as I can understand easily that this could allow the control arms to droop way to low, and cause the issue with the ball joints. Strut compression can be controlled with bump stops, so no concern as long as the installer knows they need to correct this.

But is 5mm or 10mm REALLY going to do this? Surely a strut that is designed for the hilux isn't matched so closely that the strut is at the end of its limit (or within a few mm) when the control arm hits the bump stop.

Thoughts?

Yes i'm asking because I may potentially be moving to a softer front coil, and switching from 5mm strut spacer to 10mm.
mduncan

Postby VMN on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 8:23 +0000

mduncan wrote:Just thinking more about this

Strut spacers come in many different sizes. I've got 5mm one's fitted on top of my Koni struts.

I've seen 10mm ones, 22mm ones, and 35mm ones. Now, I wouldn't touch the 22mm and 35mm ones as I can understand easily that this could allow the control arms to droop way to low, and cause the issue with the ball joints. Strut compression can be controlled with bump stops, so no concern as long as the installer knows they need to correct this.

But is 5mm or 10mm REALLY going to do this? Surely a strut that is designed for the hilux isn't matched so closely that the strut is at the end of its limit (or within a few mm) when the control arm hits the bump stop.

Thoughts?

Yes i'm asking because I may potentially be moving to a softer front coil, and switching from 5mm strut spacer to 10mm.

Remember that there is height multiplier affect so make sure you check out the travel and bump stops etc
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby hdlux on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 8:31 +0000

Hello
Can someone please tell me where i might get these longer bump stops and what i might pay?
Thanks Heaps
hdlux

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension