BODYLIFT BIBLE DOCUMENT

Re: BODYLIFT BIBLE DOCUMENT

Postby amitch888 on Wed, 24 Jul 2013 9:43 +0000

I've got a foam strip stuck on top the plastic intcooler cover, it's very ugly but it works, I was always going to lift the cover instead and put the foam under it but I've never got around to it. I think Kyle300exc has done a good job of sealing his, check out his build.
FCCW
Mitch's Build

Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't.
amitch888

Postby Skitz-4x4 on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 6:13 +0000

Yea i utilised the 2 inch gain under the bonnet by lifting the plastic cover up and fitting a small thermo fan to the top of the intercooler.. I wired it to the low range switch so it activates in low range.. I havnt got a pyro yet to see if it actually makes a difference but I assume it would..

Cheers skottie
Why Drink And Drive When You Can DriFt And Slide?!
Skitz-4x4

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 6:34 +0000

I tried to source an extension for the oil filler but it would have to be custom made from my efforts.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 6:47 +0000

Good stuff Kyle.

I'll probably just end up using 1" of foam under the cover after I lift mine.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby farono on Thu, 25 Jul 2013 7:01 +0000

great idea kyle got all the stuff u seem to of used at work :)
farono

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 26 Jul 2013 6:50 +0000

You'll need to make up some sort of gasket as the C channel doesn't sit flush on the intercooler I used rubber matting and liquid gasket for a good seal. The other option is what Monaz did by cutting up a number of yoga matts ( or similar) and gluing on top each other to make up the 50ml. He then cable tied it to the plastic cover.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby jamesheadlam1 on Tue, 20 Aug 2013 7:44 +0000

What in very simple straight up details is needed to be changed when lifting the body before engineering Certs are needed. Or are they required no matter how big or small?
jamesheadlam1

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 21 Aug 2013 6:16 +0000

From a legal perspective and these are only my experiences in NSW as soon as you separate the body from the chassis you need an engineers certificate. I have been told twice lately of engineers in Sydney who would approve it. I contacted one the other day, 13/Aug/2013 his response was " that's the model with air bags isn't it?" which it is (SR) he went to research it a bit further and hasn't contacted me back at this stage.
I just sold my Lux with the kit in it but I did have a few buyers walk away because of it............
Kyle

kyle300exc

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 6:46 +0000

Required torque setting to secure the body mounts to the chassis? Had a look at the workshop manual but no dice.
BIGFOOTJR

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Tue, 10 Sep 2013 6:55 +0000

Found it, in body panel repairs.

BIGFOOTJR

Postby Dwjconley on Thu, 06 Mar 2014 6:02 +0000

is there a better brand to go for? material wise
Dwjconley

Postby VMN on Thu, 06 Mar 2014 6:40 +0000

Dwjconley wrote:is there a better brand to go for? material wise

Not trying to blow my own trumpet but the VMN kit has stood the test of time since it was launched way back in 2009. Guys, that is nearly 5 years ago! These days, the steel bits are laser cut and discretely powder coated in silk black (and of course we apply two coats as our powder coater sandblasts undercoats everything first). Yes you can get the bits from eBay. I have elected not to put my product on eBay because one of my distributors does quite well selling some of my bits there piece by piece. Buy from him if you want a more DIY experience, odds are you are using some of my components anyway.

I think I have only had two price rises since the launch. The first was to recoup my engineering costs to keep QT happy and the last was only about $7 to cover the increase in one key component I have been getting manufactured since day one. Instead, we have invested in better machining equipment and worked hard on our supply chain (eg. purchasing costs) and manufacturing techniques to keep our costs down. It takes me half the time it used to to manufacture the blocks so I have been able to keep the price stable while improving the quality. This requires constant vigilance and I rejected two laser cut jobs recently because they did not meet my standards.

So is there a better brand to go for? Well that is for you to decide, but remember standard shipping is free on the VMN kit for forum members Australia wide and everything is insured and trackable. I endeavour to ship within 24 hours but sometimes I get caught with a stock outage as nobody seems to keep the stuff I need in stock these days....
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby kyle300exc on Fri, 07 Mar 2014 5:43 +0000

I've installed a couple Body Lift kits and VMNs is by far the most complete and best fitting kit. Keep up the good work Rod.
Kyle

kyle300exc

Postby kyle300exc on Thu, 15 May 2014 12:03 +0000

There are some questions about body lifts in a locked topic. There are definitely some advantages in them, hence why they have been around for years.
Advantages:
- for the post 05 hilux is you can retain a tolerable cv angle whilst fitting a larger tyre ie 285's (33's) on a 2inch lift.
- No diff drop required.
- relatively inexpensive in comparison.

Disadvantages:
- Most states will require an engineers certificate, if its going to be legal (primarily because of the air bag)
- If you have bar work fitted already it will look odd unless you raise them.

- Just to note there are plenty of kits around but ensure they are a complete kit inc' air intake extension, radiator drop brackets, steering extension. As mentioned VMN has an engineered steering extension and supplies a certificate with their kit.
Kyle

kyle300exc

Postby Bourbydol on Thu, 15 May 2014 4:14 +0000

I can Vouch for VMN's Product, I got in on one of the first group buys, No probs at all since...........
All posts powered by Bourbon.
by Joonyah on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:43 +0000
My old man told me "son, if it floats,flies or f$@#&%, you are better off leasing it".
Bourbydol

Postby VMN on Tue, 20 May 2014 8:05 +0000

Bourbydol wrote:I can Vouch for VMN's Product, I got in on one of the first group buys, No probs at all since...........

Awesome feedback thanks. Particularly seeing the early group buys were way back in 2009, 4 years ago.. Glad it is seeing the distance for you!
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby Jono_seco on Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:49 +0000

So just to check, the VMN kit is engineered, so it would just require the vehicle to be checked over by QLD transport, or whatever state your in, to verify it has been installed properly. Am I right in saying up to 150mm overall lift with engineering?
Has any one had a body lift installed in QLD and had it all approved with a suspension lift?
Why not? Have a go!
If all fails it's only money...

4" lift, Cooper 275 65 18's -12 offset, ARB Sahara bar + a bunch of others listed in shed and build thread
Jono_seco

Postby VMN on Wed, 11 Jun 2014 1:23 +0000

Jono_seco wrote:So just to check, the VMN kit is engineered, so it would just require the vehicle to be checked over by QLD transport, or whatever state your in, to verify it has been installed properly. Am I right in saying up to 150mm overall lift with engineering?
Has any one had a body lift installed in QLD and had it all approved with a suspension lift?

Jono, many people have approved installations of the VMN kit in various states. Our kit led the way and has been on the market for almost 5 years. The problem is the rules are constantly changing with the last changes in QLD made in June 2014, just a few days ago. The VMN kit holds a type approval for modifications to the steering which at one stage was all the authorities were worried about. The engineering was done after the authorities changed their mind the first time and defected customers vehicles when presented for inspection when written approval had already issued.

Qld in recent years adopted a modifed version of the NCOP called the QCOP. Information is on their web site. The rules require each individual vehicle to be approved and while our type approval still holds and the private certifers know about it, we can no longer provide advice as it might be wrong tomorrow. Based on my reading of the QCOP, Our kit can still be approved.

As stated in a recent email, take qualified advice from an engineer or QT themselves to see if you are prepared to go through the required hoops present today.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

Postby Jono_seco on Wed, 11 Jun 2014 1:44 +0000

VMN wrote:
Jono_seco wrote:So just to check, the VMN kit is engineered, so it would just require the vehicle to be checked over by QLD transport, or whatever state your in, to verify it has been installed properly. Am I right in saying up to 150mm overall lift with engineering?

Jono, many people have approved installations of the VMN kit in various states. Our kit led the way and has been on the market for almost 5 years. The problem is the rules are constantly changing with the last changes in QLD made in June 2014, just a few days ago. The VMN kit holds a type approval for modifications to the steering which at one stage was all the authorities were worried about. The engineering was done after the authorities changed their mind the first time and defected customers vehicles when presented for inspection when written approval had already issued.

Qld in recent years adopted a modifed version of the NCOP called the QCOP. Information is on their web site. The rules require each individual vehicle to be approved and while our type approval still holds and the private certifers know about it, we can no longer provide advice as it might be wrong tomorrow. Based on my reading of the QCOP, Our kit can still be approved.

As stated in a recent email, take qualified advice from an engineer or QT themselves to see if you are prepared to go through the required hoops present today.
Sounds good Rod, from everything I have seen your kits are by far the best on the market. I just want to make sure the cops don't have anything on me when it's combined with other mods I have and Like you say makes it hard when they keep changing the rules!! One of your kits is being installed at my mates workshop next week so I'm super keen to check it out!
Why not? Have a go!
If all fails it's only money...

4" lift, Cooper 275 65 18's -12 offset, ARB Sahara bar + a bunch of others listed in shed and build thread
Jono_seco

Postby VMN on Sun, 22 Jun 2014 7:28 +0000

Just a bit of an update to the bible. I had a client contact me during the week. He had bought a Hilux with a body lift fitted by the previous owner and the steering shaft had not been extended. Clearly, the lift had not been approved as if presented in QLD for inspection (where he lived), it would have been defected!

The steering shaft broke and he bought one of our Steering shaft extensions after finding us on Google.

He was lucky as he was only doing 5 km/hr. In our research before we designed this kit, we became aware of a few steering failures in body lifted FJ Cruisers (which appear to use the same components as the Hilux) where the shaft was not extended. That is why we say it is critical that the steering shaft is in a relaxed state after it is extended so there are no undue stresses placed upon it.

So here's the morale of the story. If you have fitted a DIY body lift kit and not bothered to extend your steering shaft, grab one of our steering extensions before you kill yourself. Matter of fact, if you are in this boat, send me a PM before the end of July 2014, I may even feel sorry for you and give you a bit of a discount :o

You should also replace the steering shaft as well as it might have been stressed already and be weakened, just waiting to fail.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
VMN

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension