Extended shackles problem?

Extended shackles problem?

Postby sr32 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 7:55 +0000

Hi,

Not sure if I got an issue or not but, I installed 2" extended shackles on my 2006 hilux cab chasis with alloy tray.

I undone the original shackles and noticed it didn't actually drop the sprins down at all, I checked that brake lines werent hooked up or anything. so I pulled the leafs down by hand and fitted the extended ones anyway, however once all put back together and then lowered back down, I realized that it didn't really lift it...

I'm also still running standard shocks. I jacked the rear up to check if shocks were at full extension and the chasis still raised up 3"+... Is it possible the standard shocks are limiting travel at all?

Did I miss something?
sr32

Re: Extended shackles problem?

Postby Rocket55 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:03 +0000

You won't get the lift which is equal to the increased length of the shackle if this is what you were expecting.

The shackle is only in 1 end of the spring, so the lift in the middle (where the axle is) is only half of this, this also assumes the shackle would be verticle. The more the shackle lays down or is angled the less lift you get as well.

Typically with extended shackles on our utes you will end up with about 30-35mm of lift as a result.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby Noidea on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:06 +0000

Your shocks are bottomed out.

Solution........ Get longer ones.

Talk to brendan at ultimate. Im running his extended shocks and am very happy with them
Noidea

Postby sr32 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:27 +0000

Rocket55 wrote:You won't get the lift which is equal to the increased length of the shackle if this is what you were expecting.

The shackle is only in 1 end of the spring, so the lift in the middle (where the axle is) is only half of this, this also assumes the shackle would be verticle. The more the shackle lays down or is angled the less lift you get as well.

Typically with extended shackles on our utes you will end up with about 30-35mm of lift as a result.

Hope this helps.

Yeah I totally understand what your saying, it's jut that in my last hilux which was a 2004. I put extended shackles and there was a noticeable difference that's all
sr32

Postby sr32 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:28 +0000

Noidea wrote:Your shocks are bottomed out.

Talk to brendan at ultimate. Im running his extended shocks and am very happy with them

I've got longer ones coming but will it actually make it higher?
sr32

Postby Noidea on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 8:46 +0000

sr32 wrote:

Depends, if your shocks are limiting your leaves from "stretching" out then yes getting longer shocks will allow your truck to sit higher. Take your shocks off and have a look
Noidea

Postby sr32 on Wed, 22 Aug 2012 9:19 +0000

Noidea wrote:
sr32 wrote:

Depends, if your shocks are limiting your leaves from "stretching" out then yes getting longer shocks will allow your truck to sit higher. Take your shocks off and have a look

Il give it a go tomorrw and let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the help.
sr32

Postby Rocket55 on Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:27 +0000

Did you measure it before and after, to see if there was movement, or are you just going by "eye"?

You said you jacked it up and it went up 3+". I interperet this as, you jacked up the chassis from it's normal position 3+" before the wheels came off the ground. If this is true, then your standard shocks (and suspension) have at least 3" of down travel left when sitting normally with the wheels on the ground. Therefore not limiting the lift from the shackles.

When I put the extended shackles in mine, I also had to pull the spring down to get the pins in.

Might be a dumb question, but are all the bushes in and your not loosing height through this? Although the first time you drove it like this I'm assuming you would notice :? .

As Josh said, just drop the bolt out of the bottom of the rear shocks and you'll soon see if they are bottomed out, 5 minute job.

If you can jack up the chassis 3+" before the wheel come off the ground, then nothing is limiting the lift from the shackles, ie you could go another 3" of lift before things bottomed out. Remember 2" extended shackles on our utes will not give a 2" lift, maybe only 30mm.

Let us know how you get on.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Rocket55

Postby sr32 on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 7:16 +0000

Well I changed the shocks to extended ones and it's come up about 25mm, So maybe the OEM shocks were too short.

Thanks for the help.
sr32

Postby Rocket55 on Fri, 24 Aug 2012 7:45 +0000

Great result. Glad it worked out for you :D
Cheers Rod
Rocket55

Postby sr32 on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 7:49 +0000

I did a 2" body lift today, took 2 hours including lifting the tray. Was very straight forward. I put the kit together myself including machining up the blocks etc. let me know if anyone needs a hand.
sr32

Postby Ciboats on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 8:02 +0000

Well done

Im keen on lifting mine as well. Did you take any photos of lift blocks. Also any extensions of cables, wires etc. ive got 06 dual

Ta
Ciboats

Postby sr32 on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 8:38 +0000

Ciboats wrote:Well done

Im keen on lifting mine as well. Did you take any photos of lift blocks. Also any extensions of cables, wires etc. ive got 06 dual

Ta

No haven't taken any pics. Lift blocks were made from a poly plastic, forgot the actual name of the material but it's made to be able to withhold impact without cracking.

No need to extend wires or pipes but just had to fit a splined steering shaft extension. I trimmed the bottom
Of fan shroud and also removed the power steer reservoir from the shroud to lift it high enough to fit the steering extension, after that you can refit the power steer reservoir. You also have to briefly remove the washer bottle to lift te bolt out.
Mine is the v6 model so had to cut the plastic engine cover too, to clear the rad shroud. Make sure you remove prior to lifting.

Don't forget to un-clip the rubber liners inside the guards either.
sr32

Postby Ciboats on Tue, 28 Aug 2012 6:28 +0000

Thanks for that info.

It's never covered in kits when you buy them. I'm going to contact vmn. In the next week or so to start ball rolling. Just bought xrox and have a winch. Can't afford rekon yet.

Joe
Ciboats

Postby VMN on Wed, 29 Aug 2012 5:50 +0000

Ciboats wrote:Thanks for that info.

It's never covered in kits when you buy them. I'm going to contact vmn. In the next week or so to start ball rolling. Just bought xrox and have a winch. Can't afford rekon yet.

Joe

I look forward to hearing from you. I will be back from mour trip to Lake Eyre by Monday next week but cant help much till then.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby Ciboats on Thu, 30 Aug 2012 6:30 +0000

Hi sr 32

Im such a tosser. You think i would have considered that a body lift will affect my bl..dy xrox position. Ive been waiting for 6 weeks for the bar i hadnt considered the body lift then.

Not happy jan.

I ordered rekon instead. Feel better now.

I will have to put lift on hold. Might still prep up in that direction machining blocks etc. Its bound to happen at some stage.

Will harass you soon.
Ciboats

Postby sr32 on Sun, 02 Sep 2012 1:19 +0000

Ciboats wrote:Hi sr 32

Im such a tosser. You think i would have considered that a body lift will affect my bl..dy xrox position. Ive been waiting for 6 weeks for the bar i hadnt considered the body lift then.

Not happy jan.

I ordered rekon instead. Feel better now.

I will have to put lift on hold. Might still prep up in that direction machining blocks etc. Its bound to happen at some stage.

Will harass you soon.

Hey mate, yes it'll definately affect the position. To be exact i'll be 50mm too low or however much you decide on the lift. It won't take much to lift the bar after the body lift has been don't anyways.

It took about an hour to lift my genuine Toyota bar so I'd imagine an Xrox will be easier.
sr32

Postby Packdaddy on Mon, 03 Sep 2012 9:55 +0000

So extended shackles... I've been wondering this for a while but what exactly do they do? I understand that they will lift the back end by about half the height of the shackle, do they also affect articulation? Ie allow the rear axle to 'flex' more?

I'm assuming they will extend to a more horizontal position when the spring is under load, then drop vertical without load...? In which case do they make the back end feel softer?

Talk to me goose
Packer

Build Thread : viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14867

'Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men' - Sir Douglas Bader
Packdaddy

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 8:03 +0000

Extended shackles work best when matched with a longer leaf pack. So not fitted for height, but to benefit suspension droop if the shockers have enough open travel to make the most of it. So when fitted they are at 45 degrees or as close to it as possible. in which case ride comfort also increase, as the more vertical the shackle angle the harsher the ride as shock gets transmitted through the shackle to the chassis rather than the shackle helping the leaf work properly as it swings back.

When fitted to a standard spring pack, yes they give you some lift.

Hope that makes sense...and yeah, they are for offroad use only.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Ciboats on Tue, 04 Sep 2012 4:39 +0000

Hi all

What the !

Extended g shackle. On ebay. Sorry you have to do a search. Cant do the link thing yet.

I did try a search but found nothing.

Do i assume that if you had enough travel in your shocks, brake lines etc that you would get more drop out of these.

Never seen them before. They come in standard as well.

What do you guys think. Better still is anybody running them.
Ciboats

Next

Return to Suspension