suspension kits/prices and tyre sizes

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 07 Jul 2007 5:24 +0000

Just thought I'd let you blokes know about my chate with "ATS 4x4" in Geelong today. The bloke on the phone was very helpful. Quoted me for a 3" lift $1800- for the kit, 320 for fitting and 45 for alignment of wheels. Says they use 16x8 mags with this lift with a 80series offset and 285's, thou minor guardwork is needed to make this effective. He is going to get back to me on this as a package deal with a set of black rockcrawler rims (US made sunnies) in 16x8 and Maxxis Bighorns in 255/85x16.
I want that bit extra height and no rubbing and it seems to work well on the Tacomas in the states.
The bloke from ATS says they usually use those rims and offset with 265's and reckons it makes the hilux look like in his words a small F-Truck with the wheels really filling up the guards.
Sorry for the long post, will keep you updated with what I decide to do. Still have to chase up Ironman because I found with a Queensland suspension shop that uses their gear for their 3" lifts, so I will ask them direct if they can make me a 3" lift and how much, as they are in melbourne and so am i.

8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby ripin5.0l on Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:34 +0000

Hey mmaaxx sounds good mate let us know how u go with the rims i'd been keen on sumtin very similar
ripin5.0l

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 08 Jul 2007 6:11 +0000

To those reading here who may be interested in more information regarding 255/85x16 tyres, here below is a link to an awesome research document written by the owners of the American Website Expedition West. The site is for offroad vehicles in the USA that are setup for exploring and longer term camping type expedition in remote areas. Theres osme good information to be read there. anyway, the report documents and explains the benefits of going a taller narrower offroad tyre compared to a wider offroad tyre and how taller narrower will go further offroad than a wider tyre will. Which is why the military uses tall narrow tyres on their trucks.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/research/white_papers/tire_selection_rev1.html

it is a very informative read and may even change your perception of the physics of 4x4'ing.
enjoy ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 16 Jul 2007 2:19 +0000

spoke to me neighbour today, he owns a suspension business and says he has develped the first engineered 5" lift kit for the new hilux. showed me apic of one he did with 27" wheels on it! Crazy.

Anyway, he sais he can do for me a kit for 1400bux that will give me between 3 to 4.5" lift upto me what I want running his own custom coils, desert fox foam cell shocks and guarantees me travel will not be affected and handles heaps better on the road.

His mate should come over tonight who has a 4" lift which I'll check out for meself and runs 305/75x16 tyres. will try and get some pics and post them here.

Hopefully mine will be the next gunuea pig. I am gonna try and tee it up with him to get a 3.5 inch lift, maybe a tadd more on the rear and run 285 muddies!

mate, Im bloody excited! will post details and pics when I get more info.

should be good!8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to Suspension