Thrashed the Billies!

Thrashed the Billies!

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 10 Feb 2008 2:32 +0000

I just got back from a 400kms one way camping trip and I took this opportunity to thrash the Billies (Bilstein).

They get my thumbs up & I rate them as good as Konis which I previously used in my old Isuzu Bighorn.

I was driving at 120-130 km/h on the blacktop and there was no wallowing when I came across some undulating parts of the road.

On the graded gravel road section, I let her rip at 80-90 km/h & once again, the Billies performed admirably.

I must admit that this particular section of the road has improved tremendously compared to many years ago when it was all rocky & ungraded. This is where I overheated my old Rancho RS9000 on the Isuzu Bighorn. Give it another 6 months and this road will also be blacktop......

I also tested the Billies on a section of rocks where all traffic slowed down. I took this opportunity to overtake as there was just too many vehicles on this section. I floored her & she just flew over the rocks without any protests whatsoever from the front end. The rear was jumping up & down though as I still have the original Toyota dampers & leaf springs. If I soften the rear a little, the ride would be better & match the front combination of King springs(KTFR-101) with Bilsteins.

I coudn't find any mud to play with the dry season though.

I'll summarize as saying that the Billies are indeed as good as what others claim since this is the first time I've used them. I would rate them as good as Konis which I previously used in my Isuzu Bighorn.

One point to note though is that the Billies are monotube gas where the Konis are oil filled for the Hilux application (my Bighorn used gas). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've tried other brands when I was going off road regularly many years back & Rancho failed me with overheating issues, OME's valving were too soft at speed & off road. Monroe Magnum 60's were too bloody stiff! Rancho & OME might have improved on their dampers but for my money, I would go for Koni or Bilstein.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Thrashed the Billies!

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 10 Feb 2008 2:37 +0000

I ran out of characters but I'll add this bit.

There are other brands which I have personally not tried such as EFS, Lovells, Ultimate etc. so I won't comment on that.

Choice of dampers/shock absorbers are personal & most of us are very loyal to that particular brand if it has served us well.

My humble 2 cents.

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Thrashed the Billies!

Postby Chris Thomas on Sun, 10 Feb 2008 7:09 +0000

Brendon mine are working great as well. Ended up going OME 884 springs and Medium rears. The medium rears sagged to much with the little weight i carry so i installed one more leaf to the pack. The ride is great with the Bilstein and so much more control on rough dirt roads.

The Bilsteins up front lost a little sharpness when the winch went on but still very good.

Regards

chris Thomas
Chris Thomas

Thrashed the Billies!

Postby Macca on Sun, 10 Feb 2008 8:18 +0000

Nice to see you are home and safe,
Still reckon you should have got Koni's
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Macca
Macca

Thrashed the Billies!

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:01 +0000

Macca,

Thanks for the PM mate. Will email to you later some pictures of our cousins! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I know you are using Koni my friend! As I said, I rate the Koni and Bilstein highly.

Cheers Macca.

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Return to Suspension