Sway Bar Removal

Re: Sway Bar Removal

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 11 Jan 2009 8:14 +0000

Thats why I go and test her out in the paddocks under "controlled conditions" :lol: before taking her into the hard stuff.

You always have to prepare your vehicle for the worst and its that 1 time that the front end comes down harder than normal that you find out if you or your suspension bloke have set the front up correctly.

KTM, Rod is right in whats he's saying. Looking at the pics above, before I fitted the spacers, the suspension was "almost" fully compressed, how much more compression there would have been I wasnt too sure but the coils were very close together and the bump stop was "just" touching the LCA.

My main concern for the bump stop spacer was to stop the tyre carving up the guards like a chainsaw, but it is also a small safety buffer for the strut.

If you strut is bottoming out under full compression and you jump underneath and check the clearance between the bump stop and the LCA and there is some, then your in trouble. the bump stop NEEDS to bottom out before the strut does.

This is where coil spacer on top of the strut are a dangerous proposition if you 'wheel' your fourby and not just "mall crawling" it.

The factory strut has a pre determined internal stop position. By placing a 25mm or more spacer on top you are pushing the limits of the stopper inside the strut by that amount, therefore when you come down hard on the front suspension your strut is going to bottom out (insert coil spacer thickness here) earlier than the bumpstop. High probability of the strut collapsing and pulling your driveshaft and front diff internal out with it.

10K had some pics of his strut failing a while back....wasnt due to these spacer, but the bottom of the strut broke, and pulled out his front diff internals along with the driveshaft. You dont want to be in the middle of woop woop when that happens.

So if you got a coil spacer ontop of the strut, I suggest you go and test out the front suspension flex and bump stop location and see if it needs extending or if you need to replace the whole front strut with a longer one in its place, coz it could save ya heaps of cash and heartache in the long run.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Smithyworld on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 9:19 +0000

My 32s do rub on the guards when compressed so I might look at doing what you did with the bump stop and a washers. Nice simple trick I like it!
Smithyworld

Postby Wattsbuild on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 3:25 +0000

Sorry guys, just gotta ask it, is it legal to remove the swaybar? Insurance issues?
Wattsbuild

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 19 Jan 2009 8:17 +0000

I think only if the insurance company can prove that it contributed to the accident, kind of life warranty, if they can prove a modification contributed to a part failure, than they can void the claim, if they cant prove it contributed, then they cant and if they do you have grounds for appeal.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Lately Lux on Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:48 +0000

I thought it was the other way round, you have to prove it didn't contribute. They don't have to prove that it did contribute because you have removed a standard part of the suspension componentry without replaceing it with anything. If you roll then I'd say you won't have any insurance, and if anyone is hurt you would be charged.

Brett
Lately Lux

Postby rodw on Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:06 +0000

My policy said something like we will not pay you if your vehicle is unsafe. It's not the insurance comapny, it's the police investigation. When I wrote of my Suzi, the cops impounded it and inspected it even when it was a single car accident with no third party injuries. The car was not released for quite a few weeks and the insurer would not settle until it was done. There is a police team that goes round QLD looking at all these accidents just like on that Kiwi show. So I'd say if the police said your car was unsafe, insurer would not pay. But if the police could prove you deliberately removed a part and the vehcile was unsafe, you'd be up for manslaughter. Might be OK with a used car as you could say it was never there, but if they found it in your garage that would be hard to get out of. I might add in my circumstance with nobody to sue, my case was well down the priority list.

Sorry, I had put my sway bar back on so did not get to test this all out for you guys. :lol:
rodw

Postby KTM525EXC on Fri, 27 Nov 2009 3:04 +0000

hey guys,

ive been toying with the idea of making some quick disconnects for the lux at work. Making the disconnects are the easy part but the hard part is moving the swaybar out of the way of everything eg: cv, tie rod, coil spring and the uca's. I think this is why a quick disconnect kit hasnt been made for the lux. mmaaxx you might know this as you have played a bit around with the swaybar; is it possible to rotate the swaybar upwards and miss all the uca and other suspension components?
Cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby RokitRyder on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 6:25 +0000

quick disconencts would definately be a goer, should get these up and going as a group buy!! ill just hang a midget of the front bar to hold the swaybar out of the way. :D
WHEN YOU BUY A NISSAN THERES SOMTHIN MISSAN
RokitRyder

Postby jop on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 7:08 +0000

Hey Mmaaxx - A few years ago some pajero owners made up these articulators -

basically it is a device that is inserted into the front swaybar. A peice of the swaybar is cut out and the unit is grub screwed onto the cut ends of the bar. It is a rotating device that is locked together by a 12mm pin so the bar is rigid when the pin is removed it allows the unit to rotate freely as the swaybar moves. The beauty of this design is that the bar stays fixed and does not flop around like with the end link type disconnects.
Also there is an optional attachment available for auto disconnecting/connecting, an air operated ram is installed (which can be powered by an ARB compressor) and is controlled by a switch on the dash

These were manufactured and sold on outers with most of them still in use - search articulator on outers for more info.
I tried to get one last year without success :cry:
jop

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 02 Dec 2009 7:38 +0000

not a bad idea jop :D i dont know about the grub screws holding though :? a shallow milled keyway or spline cut or drill points for the grub screws to locate in would stop it from sliping that would improve it in imo :D
Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby jop on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 4:25 +0000

Might be another group buy for rod to chase up ;) - i know they would sell well on newtriton as well as here - should be a similar sized swaybar on it.

What do you reckon Rod?
jop

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:39 +0000

For the hilux's theres nothing really available....they tried to make and sell one for the tacoma's in the states but it didnt take off.

The thing is unlike previous gen hilux's, if you just remove the linkages where they are connected to the steering knuckle you'll end up tearing the driveshaft boots.

Its easier just removing it.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jop on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 7:28 +0000

Yeah that's why rod's fab shop could go nuts on this :D
jop

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 8:40 +0000

Here is a swaybar disconnect that a FJ Cruiser owner put together himself

The arm is removable and then you just pull the pin out on the link....the other side of the swaybar on the other side of the vehicle remains in stock location.

Before and after comparison -

Just to note for those interested....the sway bar when disconnected or removed will not give you more down travel than with it fitted...the upper arm ball joint is the limiting factor for down travel....What you will find thou is that you will get more up travel so those of you that may not have had tyre rubbing issues before will most likely experience them with a disconnected sway bar.

But you do get more independant front suspension travel which is a bonus offroad. :mrgreen:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 9:17 +0000

Fully Disconnected -

The other side of the sway bar on the other side of the vehicle get a heavy duty greasable link replacement -

Now only for someone to make these up here in OZ..... :roll:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:08 +0000

now thats a gr8 setup i really like that :D good work mmaaxx 8-)
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby RokitRyder on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 10:36 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:now thats a gr8 setup i really like that :D good work mmaaxx 8-)
BUILD IT BUILD IT BUILD IT ahhhh wish i could . :(
WHEN YOU BUY A NISSAN THERES SOMTHIN MISSAN
RokitRyder

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:34 +0000

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
All I can say is shit. I hope no credible engineer in Aust. would sign off on this... I wouldnt...
Skog07

Postby Marshwa on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 6:07 +0000

i would consider signing off the first kit, it looks pretty well thought through
Marshwa

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 04 Dec 2009 6:57 +0000

Skog07 wrote::o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
All I can say is shit. I hope no credible engineer in Aust. would sign off on this... I wouldnt...

whats wrong with it Mark?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension