TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Need something to get you rolling?

Re: TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby white_hilux on Mon, 24 Jan 2011 8:42 +0000

VEHICLE. 2006 SR Extra Cab Tray back

BRAND. Bf Goodrich

TYRE SIZE. 235/70R16

TYPE. All Terrain

SUSPENSION LIFT. none

RIM SIZE. 16x7 Prado Alloys

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. I've done about 80,000kms on this set of tyre and have found them to be amazing. This is my second set BFG ATS and I wouldn't get anything else. They are simply the best all terrain around. My dad has a set on his 80 series LC and my grandfather has a set on his J20 Jeep Cherokee and they love them. I expect to get about 100,000kms out of them which is great. Rotated every 10,000kms. On road found them to be a tad slippery in the wet but nothing too much if you dont drive like an idiot and great when it is dry. Off road they are great on medium dirty tracks, rocky tracks and sand etc. Great chip resistance but are let down when it comes to mud as they get clogged up really easy and dont clean themselves. These are the same size as the standard tyres (29inches) so the speedo is bang on with my GPS.
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Postby jap on Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:29 +0000

VEHICLE. 2009 TRD Dual Cab

BRAND. Mickey Thompson

TYRE SIZE. 295/65 R15

TYPE. Drag Radial :lol:

SUSPENSION LIFT. None

RIM SIZE. 15 x 8 Black Sunnys

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. I've done near 20 passes on these tyres and they are great.
Dialled them in at around 20psi for the best 60 foot times I've ever achieved. Will try lower pressure at another meet.
Minimal burnout is required to get them sticky and zero wheel spin is encountered off the line.
Off road performance is good, the braking area and return road are full of holes, heavy gravel is encountered on the return road also which makes for a lot of ting ting up in the guards.
On Road score: 8/10
Off Road score: 3/10
Cool Factor: 10/10
The Quickest TRD Hilux in Australia - 13.690 @ 100.56mph
True Bolt-On Power, Performance & Reliability

Traded for:

BT50 D/C 3.2l Auto - TJM Deluxe Bullbar - TJM Rear Step - TJM Canopy - Airtec Snorkel
jap

Postby white_hilux on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 6:07 +0000

Any more reviews on the BF Goodrich KM2? Mainly concerned about wear.
Ben
2006 SR Extra Cab
2" lift, 32" Bighorns, F & R Diff Locked, Rock sliders, TJM Bullbar and Winch

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there
white_hilux

Silverstone MT117 Sport

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:44 +0000

Just a bit of an update on my tyres -

285/75x16 Silverstone MT117 Sport -

These inflated on 16x8 rim are exactly 33" diameter with 12" of wide sidewall lug to sidewall lug and over 16mm of tread depth.

Cost me $255 bux when new almost 2.5 years ago. You can get them for arounf $285 bux depending where you go.

I have done so far 45,000km on them 98% of that on road.

Performance on road is good....at slow speeds you feel every lug (below 20km/h) and at around 80kph there is a definite hum that quitens down a bit at 100kph.

If you dont like noisy tyres then these are definitely not for you.

They handle well for such an aggressive muddy.....even in the wt I have never felt unsafe through corners, they grip really well.

Offroad they are kick-ass :twisted: I'd say probably the most under rated tyre on the market. Their sidewalls are a thick 2 ply.....the side lugz really help offroad with traction especially when trying to climb out of ruts.

In mud they are awesome, they just grab it and fling it back towards the horizon.

In rocky terrain you can airdown to 10-12psi comfortably, they hold their bead quite well and conform to the terrain.

Conclusion: I'd get another set but Im gonna go something slightly less aggressive and slightly larger next time round. These have bout another month or two of life in them, so should get bout 50,000km out of them thou I havent taken them offroad so far this year and wouldnt unless its dry due to the amount they are worn so far.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby dute on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 7:27 +0000

I will back up Max here as for the performance of the Silverstone MT117 Sport I had set of 31/10.5/15 on my Lux for about 15000km and yes off road a great tyre mud or sand . . . . very happy. . . :P

Now they are sitting in the shed with about 60% tread left on them and the only reason that is I updated from 15" rims to 16" with 32" MTZ's

Pete (dute)
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby jakelux on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 4:13 +0000

Loads of guys using them down here in Tassie because of there chunk and mud slinging abbility.
I think i will get a set for my new play tyres.. in a 32 or 33..
Jake
jakelux

Postby qberus on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 6:28 +0000

Summer set, on road

BRAND.
UNIROYAL rallye 4x4 street

TYRE SIZE.
265/70 r16

TYPE.
H/T i guess

SUSPENSION LIFT.
2" front

RIM SIZE.
16x8 ET -12

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD
Wear not yet known. In wet conditions performance is stunning :shock:, especially when empty at the back - no wheel spin, no loosing control when driving fast even at sharp corners. No complaints in dry also but they're soft and they get even softer at high temeprature so when driving fast thrugh the corner sidewalls bend a bit too much. Didn't try it off road tbh :oops:.

WEBLINKS.
http://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/generator ... et_en.html

PHOTOS

Winter

BRAND.
Michelin 4x4 Alpin

TYRE SIZE.
235/75 r15

TYPE.
Winter tire

SUSPENSION LIFT.
2", not needed though

RIM SIZE.
standard 15x7

no wear noticed after three seasons, very good performance on road and in deep snow

WEBLINKS.
http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/m ... odel/1906/
qb
qberus

Postby lukeSR on Wed, 23 Mar 2011 9:07 +0000

lukeSR wrote:BRAND. Goodyear

TYRE SIZE. 235/85/16

TYPE. Wrangler MTR

SUSPENSION LIFT. None.

RIM SIZE. 16x6 (standard SR rims)

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. Freakin awesome off-road!! This is my first mud tyre and I am very happy with it. On road is a little noisy, but after I drive down a freeway you are used to it. Wear thus far is minimal but have only done roughly 2000kms. They are also as good as any all terrain tyre I have had on past 4WD's (BFG AT, Cooper ATR) on the roads, especially in the wet, I was fairly surprised.

WEBLINKS.http://www.goodyear.com.au/TyreDetailAction.do?website=GYR&websegmentcode=RV&mtpcode=00782&from=nPerPage. This is not exactly the same, mine are the non-kevlar version I think.

PHOTOS. Watch this space...

Other Notes: I believe this size tyre is a great option for SR model utes because:
a) No need to buy new rims
b) No need to buy flares
c) No need to buy suspension
d) No need to worry about damage to the side of the car as they sit inside the guards
e) Put speedo spot-on
f) They look great!!

So basically you can save a heap of cash to spend on other goodies :D

That's my dot com anyways :D

PS. THANKS STONEY!!! ( Brought the tyres from him)

So far so good on my tyres, still going strong at about 40,000kms. Rotated every 10k, wear seems even, barely smoothed out the first tiny divet in them! The noise has settled down a bit. Unstoppable offroad, still safe onroad, especially in the wet. Highly recommend them to anyone!
---
Luke
GO BUSH!!
lukeSR

Postby BAT091 on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 6:40 +0000

hey guys just wondering if i would be able to fit a set of 265/70R17 with 2 inch lift in the front... just to level out the ride ;)
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Postby helmut79 on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 6:48 +0000

BAT091 wrote:hey guys just wondering if i would be able to fit a set of 265/70R17 with 2 inch lift in the front... just to level out the ride ;)

Use this thread below mate and post in the 32" section

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4434

Quick answer 2" lift will fit 32" tyres
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

My Build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=6869

New Member Sandpit viewforum.php?f=83
helmut79

Postby BAT091 on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 6:51 +0000

legend, thanks mate 8-)
Cheers Kirk

BAT091 LUX BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=10014
BAT091

Postby baza32000 on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 9:58 +0000

BRAND. Goodyear

TYRE SIZE. 31x10.5 R15

TYPE. Duratrac

SUSPENSION LIFT. King raise springs in standard coils on the front.

RIM SIZE. 15"

Very surprise by the lack of road noise, much quieter than the Cooper ST's, which is the closest I can compare to. On-road grip is no worse than the stock tyres in the dry, wet is not quite as good as stock, but not much worse.
Off Road - Did about 1000k in Tassie last week, these are very good tyres for those that don't want full on mudd'ies. Performed great on steep rock, loose rock, mud and sand as well as unsealed roads. Just take it easy when starting off in the sand.

Overall, very happy with them.
baza32000

Postby coenmckenzie on Wed, 04 May 2011 4:38 +0000

BRAND.goodyear wrangler (new pattern)

TYRE SIZE.265/75/r16

TYPE.mt/r

SUSPENSION LIFT.2"

RIM SIZE.16x7

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD:
i went with these tyres because old mate at the tyre shop suggested them to me after a few bad expiriences on wet roads with copper stt's , he told me that these new wranglers are silica based so they will be sticky in the wet , he was rite they are a great tyre in the wet on road and now the missus can actully drive around a round about in the rain and not do a 360.
they are suprisingly quite tyre on road. as for off road i am more confident in them them then the stt's , they love pulling threw the mud and up shally rocky hills , they have a kevlar side wall which is another reason why i got them , was sick of getting punchers on the coppers. now for wear , they are wearing quicker then other tyres as a softer tyre would , but i am also quite harsh on these tyres on and off road so they going allright , no puchers anything yet .
they have traveled about 30 000 and i rotate them every 5 when i service the hilux, i will get another 10 to 15 out them yet and , all round not a bad tyre , i would have them again no worries at all

cheers coen

goodyear wrangler MT/R

coenmckenzie

Postby danmcccc on Wed, 04 May 2011 9:05 +0000

BRAND.HANKOOK

TYRE SIZE.285/75/r16

TYPE. MT

SUSPENSION LIFT.3"

RIM SIZE.16x8 20P

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD:
havent had them on for long or for vary many offroading adventure...but so far i am very impressed...awesome thru mud...not so good on soft sandy bases tho coz any wheel spin they just dig holes...on road they are good in the wet and are reasonably quiet compared to say big horns
they are also 10ply so not likely to puncture

cheers
Dan
old enough to know better...young enough to not give a f**k

MY KILLER BUILD THREAD
viewtopic.php?t=9235
danmcccc

Postby anto.set on Sun, 08 May 2011 12:26 +0000

BRAND.

BRAND. Khumo Road Venture

TYRE SIZE. 265/75 R16 (32")

TYPE. Mud Terrain 10 ply!

SUSPENSION LIFT. Yes 50mm (2")

RIM SIZE. 16x7 ROH alloy

WEAR, PERFORMANCE ON and OFF ROAD. average wear about 65,000. Impressive on road performance under brake in wet weather A1. Tyres wear uneven and scallop very badly which is great on low tread they still bite into mud when close to the markers. Tyres wore heavy on the front outsides due to lift. Could not fault the tyre in the mud and appears to perform better in sand than a bfgoodrich M/T

WEBLINKS.

PHOTOS. this photo is not of my car but shows the tyre when new as mine are bald now 
anto.set

Postby Dave O on Sat, 14 May 2011 1:25 +0000

Heres my set up. I only got it done yesterday.

BRAND-BF Goodrich

SIZE-32x11.5 R15

TYPE-KM2 Mud Terrain

SUSPENSION-3 Inch Bilstein/OME Lift Kit by Macquarie 4x4

RIM SIZE-15x8 Black Steel Wheels with 0 offset from Infinity Wheels

WEAR/PERFORMANCE-Cant tell what the wear will be like yet but i give them a good flogging up the bush today and theres obviously no comparison to the old desert dueler H/T skinnys. They even handle better on the road IMO. Im not sure if its the suspension or tyres that make the biggest difference to on road handling but i can now more confidently take corners at greater speed without body roll or front tyres screeching. Lost a small amount of power on acceleration but its hardly noticeable.
The vehicle actually feels alot safer with these new tyres and suspension.

RUBBING-Heres where the only problem lies, the tyres rub on the front mudflap/guard at about 1/2 to 3/4 turn. If theres something i can do can someone please give me a few tips on how i can rectify the problem? I was lead to believe the 32s would fit without drama with this suspension kit and im not taking these badboys off now. Theyre CRANKY!
Dave O

Postby helmut79 on Sat, 14 May 2011 2:54 +0000

Just remove the mud flaps mate or heat them with a heat gun and reshape ;)
Mick
FCCW

“This is anger management......I’m channelling it into something and then I destroy it!”

helmut79

TYRE FITMENT & PERFORMANCE SURVEY. (Tyre bible Template)

Postby KTM525EXC on Sat, 14 May 2011 5:48 +0000

Have a look at my build mate there is a fair bit of trimming required to get them to work properly, taking off the mudflap will help but won't fix the problem because it will still hit on the flare and inner guard.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Dave O on Sun, 15 May 2011 11:10 +0000

Cheers KTM, i checked out your build and ive since noticed my tyres actually scrub the body mount as well as the guard, even with the inner plastic removed. It looks like i will have to trim part of the panel as well as the body mount. I thought i would avoid this by fitting 32s instead of 33s. Is this an offset problem? I went the 0 offset because the "dished" look of the rim looks heaps better than the "flat" look, i just didnt think it would make that big a difference. Even if i followed your guide and bent the pinch weld back and moulded the plastic back, the KM2s would still be touching the lower part of the panel and the body mount. The sway bar is still fitted and i dont have SR5 type flares, just rubber ones, so i dont have to trim any of the flares. Have you or anyone else encountered problems with the body mounts on 32s?
Dave O

Postby helmut79 on Sun, 15 May 2011 11:23 +0000

Davo, biggest problem is the 11.5" wide, they are actually 290mm in the current money (or even bigger depending on the tread). Most people who fit 285/75x16 or 33's need to trim the mount and the flare, guard as Troy has in his build up.

The offset does make a difference but a zero means it pushes the rim further out towards the guard but like I said the biggest issue is the width of the tread.

Have a look in peoples sheds for what they have done to fit 32's and 33's and go from there.

Sorry to cut in here Troy and please add in your thoughts too.
Mick
FCCW

helmut79

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels