Gettin broken bolts out

Gettin broken bolts out

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 5:40 +0000

Ok,

so because my bashplate has been on and off so many times over the years one of the bolts last week broke as I was removing it.....bugger!

Any tips or ideas to assist in removing the left overs which is still screwed inside the thread?

Non of it is exposed so Im assuming Im gonna have to drill it out and re tap the hole...

hopefully I got a tap the right size...I think the underside bashplate bolts, at the rear near the start of the tranny bashplate is about an 8mm thread...not sure have to check.

so what have you blokes done in the past that I might get some helpful ideas from?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Gettin broken bolts out

Postby VMN on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 5:54 +0000

Max, you can get a screw extractor which lets you drill a hole in the bolt and back it out. Drop over to my place in Sunny QLD and I'll lend ya one.

You can see how it has a left hand thread that bites in.

If you can get the cross member off that holds the thread, you may be able to knock off the nut and reweld a new one on from the back.
VehicleMods (RodW)
vmn.com.au
VMN Body Lift kit
Dedicated to providing exceptional value and service to NewHilux members
VMN

Postby tasibrett on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:02 +0000

Get a left hand drill bit or re grind a normal drill bit. Just about every time, the drilling will unwind the bolt.
Do use a drill size that suites a ezy out - stud extractor so if you are unluck and don't get it out by the drilling it ready for the extractor.
I have a snap on set, of 5 left hand drill bits that have saved me hundreds of hours of grief.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 7:49 +0000

left hand drill bit is interesting....I think I may try that while Im drilling it out...off to bunnings...
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:03 +0000

Mmaaxx, might be a bit out of Bunnings league. I doubt that they would have LH drill bits.. But you never know.. They would have ezy outs though. I would think....
Get yourself some pop rivet drills, these are sharpened slighlty different to normal twist drill bits and are better suited for drilling harder matl's like bolts. The shank is also shorter as they will not deviate off line as much as a std drill bit..The drill will always want to move into the softer material so a good centre puch mark in the centre of the bolt is a must to keep the drill on line.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers
Mark
Skog07

Postby Oz Bruiser on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:09 +0000

Ezy outs do work a treat. In the past when I tried the left hand hread drill and an ezy out and had no luck if u have an old small enough screwdriver ideally with a steel shaft going through the handle you can hammer it into the hole you drilled out in the bolt or the ezy out then with a lump hammer drive the screwdriver into the hole far enough taking care you don't hit the thread ad then you can turn the screwdriver when you got it jammed in there. Mind you I think I did this with an alloy bolt that was stubborn.
Oz Bruiser

Postby Marshwa on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 8:10 +0000

Just center punch the bolt, drill it out with a small drill piece and then slowly increase the size of the hole depending on the size of the bolt. And then buy yourself a set of easy outs, i think a pack of variable sizes from bunnings was $50. Works for me.

Think of yourself lucky, i snapped off a front bump stop - now that was a prick to get out hahaha, had to remove the whole lower control arm.
Marshwa

Postby Drew on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 5:32 +0000

What VMN said !!!!! they call them screw extractors or easy outs. Just center pop the bolt and drill out, lightly tap the easy out in with a hammer and use a shifter to turn it. It will grip and the bolt will undo like normal. Used them all the time in a past life...
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby KTM525EXC on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 9:33 +0000

another tip is drill all the way through the bolt or stud to be extracted what that does is help collapse the bolts thread making it easier to extract and always center pop the bolt to minimise the drill wandering into the thread. the bigger the final drill you use but small enough not to hit the thread makes it easier as well.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 9:40 +0000

I ended up snapping the easy outs inside the hole I drilled in the bolt. was going slow and careful too....

big bugger...that hole is buggered for good now.

maybe I should have used the bigger drill/easy out size.....not happy :cry:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby tasibrett on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:19 +0000

Must of been well and truly stuck or bent ?. Best to get a oxy to blow out the easy out. Then drill and clean up with a tap. The first drilling will be very difficult as the bolt will have a surface hardening.
I always put never-seez on skid plate bolts
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CCcQ9QEwAw
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Macca on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:24 +0000

Max Can you cut a slot in whats left with a dremmel or small grinder, then tap or screw it out with a screwdriver or you might have to weld a bit of steel onto the end of the easy out, Then it should release without too much effort. Because it it hardened steel it might not work, but worth a try. If you can get it out try bigger like you said or a thing called a helicoil may be the fix you need.
Macca
Macca

Postby cory on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 11:56 +0000

Yeh what Macca said. Last resort use a helicoil. They use them on race motors running high comp as they are ment to be stronger than the standard thread. Just drill the hole out, tap it and insert helicoil. I've done this with head bolts on engines and have never had a problem. I even drill out the threads that appear to have nothing wrong with them as it's stronger and will last forever if done correctly.

You can buy them as a kit from any bolt shop. Just bring the bolt there to match up the size. Bunnings wouldn't have these.

It may be hard to get the ezy out... Out. Very toughened steel.
Good luck mate
http://www.ehow.com/how_5720598_use-helicoil.html
Cheers....... Cory
cory

Postby Drew on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 1:58 +0000

Yeh i have been there too maxx. can you tack a bit of metal on the end of it to grab with a sifter or i spose its broken down in the threaded hole... murphys law
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 2:14 +0000

yeah i never thought of welding something on to the end....the bolt broke just below the surface of the crossmember...theres nothing sticking out..thats whyits such a bit#h to get out.....welding something on will be difficult enough to get onto there without welding to the actual crossmember itself......might just try and hack it on the side of where the easy out broke, butcher it out and helicoil it like you boys said......I really need this hole....
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Steve9R on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 2:27 +0000

yeah. i had to weld an allen key into my front diff drain plug today cause someone had rounded it over.. welding also tends to loosen it too due to the heat..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 6:18 +0000

ah...welding an allen key is great idea...got a few spare of those around...has to wait till next weekend to try.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 6:19 +0000

Max... reckon they should ban the word Ezy out.. Its a gimmick and false advertising..
Now that you have busted one off in the bolt its going to make it like hell to get the bugger out... You cant use a drill at all... as it will hit the broken "not so"Ezy out and want to bite into the material where the thread originally was..
Is it a blind hole?.. Meaning there is no space behind the thread..
If it isnt a blind hole, and with a little bit of delicate preparation you can keep winding the bolt in as there is no head anymore to stop it and it will fall out of the back of the thread...
Skog07

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 7:11 +0000

it is a blind hole skog......thou the crossmember is hollow too......yeah, one idea would be to keep winding it in as it hasnt got a head.....

I think screwing it in with an allen key welded on might be the way to go...I really want this thing out/fixed thou it looks like it may e a real challenge......Ill try and get some pics at somestage this week.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby digger on Sun, 03 Oct 2010 7:19 +0000

You could try breaking the ezy out up with a centre punch or small chisel for metal . If you try tapping the ezy out in a anti clockwise rotation it may work loose.Alternatively try soaking some penetrene or similar. Spray the broken bolt every night until the weekend . Be patient dont listen to butchers.
digger

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks