Airbag Clock Spring (Spiral Cable) Replacement

SRS light (Clock Spring)

Postby SerbLux on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 6:35 +0000

Gentlemen

Last week I had my (SRS) light come on which is basically a warning light for the air bags. Got quoted prices from $620 to $850 to fix. After doing some research and talking to a mate at a Toyota dealer ship and Max I have discovered that Toyota have not issues a official recall on the problem, however they have issues two Memos stating that if the light comes on they are to replace the clock spring and bill Toyota Australia.

I got on the blower and called Toyota Australia today and had a few words with a head hon show basically putting my point across about why i should have to pay for a faulty manufacturing item which Toyota knows about and is changing them as they come up under warranty. They admitted that the clock spring was mainly faulty but on the 2007 model mainly. I said to them if my Hilux was under the extended warranty you would repair it so I believe you should repair it as its not a issues caused by me rather a factory fault which needs to be fixed by Toyota. I told them I was not willing to pay as I know that they are changing 6-10 clock springs a week at a particular dealer ship and i believe they are responsible.

Toyota Australia asked which dealer I was planning to use and advised me to put a out of warranty repair request with them and they would take care of it. Called my dealer that I wanted to use and had him put a claim in. 1hr later I had a phone call from the service manager saying your repairs have been approved fully by Toyota Australia and they would like me to take the Hilux in on Monday for free repairs. He then said I have worked here for many years and have not seen Toyota Australia approve repairs on a vehicle that was out of warranty as long as yours (18 months). I told him its who you know mate ;)

If you any one gets a SRS light come on see your local dealer ship and if its out of warranty they will still fix it just lodge a out of warranty request ;)

Ivan
'Take one for the Team' and do your Part
SerbLux

Re: SRS light (Clock Spring)

Postby bee08t on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 7:49 +0000

Thax for that mate, it is good to know that.
bee08t

Airbag Clock Spring (Spiral Cable) Replacement

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 2:33 +0000

The clock spring is an encased spiral cable behind the steering wheel that provides a circuit to the airbag whilst allowing you to turn your steering wheel from lock to lock. The clock spring can break due to harsh treatment such as the steering wheel turning sharply when 4WDing. If it breaks the red airbag light will display on your instrument panel. It is advised that you take your vehicle to have the ECU read to determine the cause of the warning light display. I was told by Toyota that while the light is on my airbag will not deploy in an accident. So after having your ECU codes read you find that it is a faulty clock spring, you might like to read on.....................

If your Hilux is out of warranty and your Toyota dealer won't help you with a free replacement here are a couple of options.
A.) Pay your dealer $500 - $700 for the part plus 1 hour labour to have it replaced.
B.) Purchase the part and install it yourself.

I went with option B after reading that NewHilux member paul735 replaced it himself. I purchase a Clock Spring from Thailand via ebay for $160 delivered. It took less than a week to arrive at my door. It was easy to install. Thanks to Paul for the tips. Look in this ebay store for clockspring to suit your year model. There are currently two different clocksprings listed. One for '06-'09 models and one '10 models.
:arrow: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Japaneses-Air ... 4340.l2563

Below is the procedure I used.

New Clock Spring

1. Straighten the front wheels.
2. Disconnect battery.
3. Loosen torque screw on each side of steering wheel and remove steering pad. Be careful not to pull the pad out to hard or far as there are wires attached to the back.
4. Hold the steering pad and use a flathead screwdriver to disconnect the airbag wire connector.
5. Disconnect the horn wire from steering pad and connector from clock spring.
6. Remove steering wheel set nut. If the nut and shaft don't already have match marks on them it's a good idea to mark them before you loosen the nut.
7. Remove the steering wheel by giving it a good old yank.
8. Remove 3 screws from steering column cover (2 at end and 1 underneath) and remove cover.
9. Disconnect 2 wiring connectors from clock spring and remove clock sring by unclipping 3 claw clips around circumference. Sorry no photot before I removed it.
10. Get new clock spring and install the 2 wiring connectors. You can't get this wrong because they are different sizes.
11. Clip clock spring in place.
12. Unlock clock spring by snapping orange handle off.
13. The clock spring can turn 5 rotations. 2.5 rotations each way from the centre. To find the centre slowly rotate clockspring anticlockwise until it stops. Now rotate the clock spring clockwise 2.5 times until the two markers line up on the bottom. You now have the centre. Do not rotate the clockspring using the airbag wire harness.
14. Replace steering column covers.
15. Align steering wheel and shaft.
16. Install steering wheel set nut.
17. Install steering pad, including connecting horn wire connector to clock spring, horn wire to steering pad and airbag wire to steering pad.
18. Tighten torque screws on each side of steering wheel.
19. Reconnect battery and the job is done.

When you start your Hilux the airbag light should be off. 8-) :D
I started the hilux after the install with my head and body clear of the airbag deployment zone just incase it went off. :lol:
I'm going to pull the old clock spring apart to see if I can detect the breakage. If I find it I'll post a picture. In the meantime Billy will look after it for me.

I hope this helps some of you out. It saved me over $500.

Cheers

Joel
Last edited by MADDOG on Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:31 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
MADDOG

Re: Airbag Clock Spring (Spiral Cable) Replacement

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 5:42 +0000

Great work Joel.

:lol: :lol:
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Actilux on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 5:54 +0000

Sweet, i'll order mine on pay day.

Thanks mate.
Actilux

Postby BERRYMAN on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 6:12 +0000

Hi There, I have the same problem. I just looked at Ebay & can't find anyone selling the clock spring, do you have a link for the seller? I need it for my 2006 KUN26R. Thanks in advance. :?
BERRYMAN

Postby MADDOG on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 6:34 +0000

BERRYMAN wrote:Hi There, I have the same problem. I just looked at Ebay & can't find anyone selling the clock spring, do you have a link for the seller? I need it for my 2006 KUN26R. Thanks in advance. :?

Here you go mate. This one is valid for a month (7 available). http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-TOYOTA-HILUX ... 2a0a3d7094
MADDOG

Postby BERRYMAN on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 6:38 +0000

You Beaut!
Thanks mate, just ordered it. I hate being shafted by Toyota!
BERRYMAN

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 13 Sep 2010 6:42 +0000

Great write up Joel..
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby BERRYMAN on Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:06 +0000

Amazing Clock Spring Update.

Well, I went to my local dealer this morning & went mental at them after reading all the posts about getting it done as an out of warranty approval job. Guess what, after trying to get rid of me for 45minutes I got them to phone Toyota, & they said..." Each clock spring replacement is evaluated on a case by case basis & that even though I bought my KUN26R second hand & it's now got 122,000Kms on it,& it;s warranty ran out over 1 year ago, they will repair it for FREE next Tuesday!!!!
I think it's total Bull£$%t that they are not doing a factory recall on this, but apparently some Hiluxs clock springs don't fail?? So when it does fail as you are having an accident & the airbag doesn't deploy, who the F&%k is responsible then?
I can only thank all of you guys for making me go back & try my luck, they don't like pressure!
BERRYMAN

Postby KTM525EXC on Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:41 +0000

Steve9R wrote:Great write up Joel..

Top job Joel, very helpful for fellow members ;)

im glad the old clockspring is in Billys caperble hands :D
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby MADDOG on Tue, 14 Sep 2010 8:36 +0000

BERRYMAN wrote:Amazing Clock Spring Update.

Well, I went to my local dealer this morning & went mental at them after reading all the posts about getting it done as an out of warranty approval job. Guess what, after trying to get rid of me for 45minutes I got them to phone Toyota, & they said..." Each clock spring replacement is evaluated on a case by case basis & that even though I bought my KUN26R second hand & it's now got 122,000Kms on it,& it;s warranty ran out over 1 year ago, they will repair it for FREE next Tuesday!!!!
I think it's total Bull£$%t that they are not doing a factory recall on this, but apparently some Hiluxs clock springs don't fail?? So when it does fail as you are having an accident & the airbag doesn't deploy, who the F&%k is responsible then?
I can only thank all of you guys for making me go back & try my luck, they don't like pressure!

Good for you BERRYMAN. I'm glad it worked out for you. I don't have the patience to stand around arguing with them. Did you end up buying that one on ebay as well?
MADDOG

Postby ciprianm on Tue, 19 Apr 2011 5:56 +0000

Hi Joel
Thanks for the tutorial.It was very useful for me
I did the same, even buying the spiral cable from the same source :D
It worked fine
Thanks again
ciprianm

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 03 Nov 2011 5:51 +0000

Hey Joel,
did you ever pull yours apart to see whether it was stuffed ?

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby MADDOG on Thu, 03 Nov 2011 6:08 +0000

No I didn't Steve. Maybe I should.
MADDOG

Postby Steve9R on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 1:45 +0000

well.. My airbag light came on as well (dune driving in Robe does that)..

so i finally bit the bullet and took it into Toyota for its hoop recall and said in passing to check the airbag light..

They ring me up this afternoon and said its all been fixed with out of warranty replacement (my warranty ran out in 2009) and it was the clock spring too.. saves me having to buy one and do the job ! ;)

Interesting though that the smart gauge was reporting no DTC faults, yet the airbag light was on.. maybe it reports its errors somewhere else ??

I wonder if the new clock spring is better made / newer version and will last longer??

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby pjtaylor03 on Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:54 +0000

I have a 2006 Hilux and my airbag light came on last week. Is there anything else that could cause this problem or is it always the clock spring. I don't really feel like fork out $700 to turn a little red light off. But in the end i spose it has to be done. My closest Toyota dealer are known for charging through the roof
pjtaylor03

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 14 Nov 2011 12:37 +0000

As i just posted above, my local dealer (who i NEVER go to), had it replaced as an out-of-warranty free repair.

mine is a 2006 as well.. cost me nothing..

he said that apparently its a known fault and Toyota will cover it.. i didnt even have to push it at all..

Give it a go..

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Postby Parr on Mon, 14 Nov 2011 1:16 +0000

I think Gold Coast 4wd wreckers are bring in clock springs for a fraction of the cost that Toyota is asking, from memory around the $200-$300 mark but ill double check that
Parr

Postby Steve9R on Mon, 14 Nov 2011 1:23 +0000

there's cheap ones on ebay too.

Steve
Steve9R
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks