Power Windows constant power

Re: Power Windows constant power

Postby camwill69 on Mon, 18 Jan 2010 2:00 +0000

Well,
After talking to a few other members that had issues with this mod providing power all the time to the windows, I have done a little research and designed a timed delay relay to suit our application (it is not the first time this has been done). This will allow me to provide power to the windows for a preset time after ingnition power has been lost (between 1 sec and 99 days).

All the components will cost around $50+. I hope I will have one made by Coffs but with the ittiary I have got organised I may run out of time.

Regards,
Cam
camwill69

Postby felix on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 7:16 +0000

What are the "issues" with having constant power to the windows?
felix

Postby Harves on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 4:27 +0000

One would be that you could poke a thin rod past your door seals and wind down the window when the car is locked. Don't know how you would go explaining that to the insurance company.

Harves
Harves

Postby Diegothecat on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 5:19 +0000

yea im not a fan of havein constant power to the windows, but like cam im looking into a time delay relay, I think that Jaycar stocks them i just gota look through the catalog to find the part and corresponding number.

Unless Cam wants to enlighten us on where he got his ;)
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby camwill69 on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 6:24 +0000

No.
camwill69

Postby Diegothecat on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 6:31 +0000

thats not very nice :o :?:

Really all that need to be done is install a capacitor across the switching side of the relay causing the power to continue to flow till the capacitor runs out of power. Ill keep an eye out on what capacitor is required and Ill post up what is required.

Just in case anyone else wants to so this mod
Speed Safely
Diegothecat

Postby camwill69 on Tue, 19 Jan 2010 7:08 +0000

No Mate.
Not till I am sure it all is honky dory. Then free for all.

Cam
camwill69

Postby noodle on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 5:31 +0000

I still can't see any problem with constant power to the windows.

No-one is going to break into your ute by using a piece of wire to push the button down...... who's going to know that you have that mod, unless you put a big sign up advertising it.

There is no safety issue that i can think of. The relay is only used to supplement the switch, there are no real long term issues with it not being there.

As I stated in an earlier post, I have had this mod on my old prado for nearly 5 years (then I sold it) with absolutely no problem at all (the original post is still up in lcool website www.lcool.org)

But each to their own I suppose
Al
07 D4D D/Cab Manual

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
noodle

Postby camwill69 on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 6:02 +0000

Noodle,
I have no issue at all with this mod. Theives will smash a window (as has happened to me) to get in before they will muck around with a bit of wire and try to push the button down. It would have to be 12 guage wire to push the button anyway. I am just going on feed back from other members.

I have done the mod and love it.

thanks for telling us. i will be having a look at the corolla as soon as i get a chance as well to see if I can locate the relay for it too.

Cam
camwill69

Postby djs0276 on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 7:03 +0000

Wow, what a great mod! I'm definitely going to do this, I hate it when the kids leave the windows open and I have to stick the key back in and turn it on to "wind" up the windows.
08 D/cab SR5, ARB Front & Rear Diff locks, ARB Deluxe Bar, Dual Battery, Lightforce 240HID's, ORS Rear Drawers, OME Nitro Sport Suspension kit, ARB Side steps & brush bars, Taipan 3" exhaust.
GIC Extreme Offroad Camper trailer
djs0276
Platinum Subscriber

Postby broke on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 7:14 +0000

djs0276 wrote: I hate it when the kids leave the windows open and I have to stick the key back in and turn it on to "wind" up the windows.

Yep, that's exactly why I want to do it! Sometimes my 7 yr old will do it just for kicks- he seems to think he's the funniest man in the world when he does it! ;)

Daniel
broke

Postby gruntre69 on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 8:01 +0000

Just changed from an SS commodore to the SR5 Xcab D4D.

Love it.. miss things from the SS though.

- Windows had around a 1 minute time delay enabling switching after ignition off. This in my opinion is the best way to go. This mod is a great solution even without the time delay just a note the relay is just another switch which is down stream of the fuse and does not remove the circuit protection by bridging it. Great mod!

- Miss the headlights auto off after ignition off and driver door is opened. Allows headlights to be perminately left on.

- Alarm system as standard.

PS: Makes you wonder if these engineers at Toyota ever useability test any of these hairbrain functions. That door beeper nearly drove my insane in the first week owning this car. I removed it and the seatbelt beep in the 1st 10 days. Not to mention the Ipod intergration oversights..... but thats for another post..

Cheers
Cheers

Grunter
http://gatorz.com.au/
If it's in the way...... use it for traction!
My build thread
gruntre69

Postby Viper82 on Wed, 20 Jan 2010 8:54 +0000

noodle wrote:No-one is going to break into your ute by using a piece of wire to push the button down...... who's going to know that you have that mod, unless you put a big sign up advertising it.

Thats what I thought too. Great Mod :D
Viper82

Postby shane308 on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:07 +0000

I did this mod last night, to easy, good one septhilux 8-)
shane308
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Alby on Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:47 +0000

gruntre69 wrote:Just changed from an SS commodore to the SR5 Xcab D4D.

Love it.. miss things from the SS though.

- Windows had around a 1 minute time delay enabling switching after ignition off. This in my opinion is the best way to go. This mod is a great solution even without the time delay just a note the relay is just another switch which is down stream of the fuse and does not remove the circuit protection by bridging it. Great mod!

- Miss the headlights auto off after ignition off and driver door is opened. Allows headlights to be perminately left on.

- Alarm system as standard.

PS: Makes you wonder if these engineers at Toyota ever useability test any of these hairbrain functions. That door beeper nearly drove my insane in the first week owning this car. I removed it and the seatbelt beep in the 1st 10 days. Not to mention the Ipod intergration oversights..... but thats for another post..

Cheers

Mate I did the very same thing as you, I love my lux but the SS Commodore sure did have some good user friendly functions. The Hilux is quite agrcultural in comparison.
I will do the window mod as well next week.
On the internet you can be anything you want. It is strange that so many people choose to be stupid!
Alby

Postby D4D Hilux on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 2:50 +0000

awesome thanks mate
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby chadolux on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 4:33 +0000

Hi guys has anyone got a wire diagram for elect windows i had done this mod an the wire has bounced out some how on the corogated roads last wknd now i hav no power to windows or centeral locking it drivin me crazy I have checked every fuse relay that i can find in car, any help or hints would be great help.. CHEERS CHAD
chadolux

Postby rodw on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 4:41 +0000

chadolux wrote:Hi guys has anyone got a wire diagram for elect windows i had done this mod an the wire has bounced out some how on the corogated roads last wknd now i hav no power to windows or centeral locking it drivin me crazy I have checked every fuse relay that i can find in car, any help or hints would be great help.. CHEERS CHAD

Check the photo earlier on this thread.
rodw

Postby D4D Hilux on Fri, 26 Feb 2010 8:59 +0000

chadolux wrote:Hi guys has anyone got a wire diagram for elect windows i had done this mod an the wire has bounced out some how on the corogated roads last wknd now i hav no power to windows or centeral locking it drivin me crazy I have checked every fuse relay that i can find in car, any help or hints would be great help.. CHEERS CHAD

Haven't you done the mod??? so you'd know where the wire is???
Cheers, Ryan

07 SR5 Hilux D4D
D4D Hilux

Postby chadolux on Mon, 01 Mar 2010 6:47 +0000

Yeah i had mod but the wire came out, It's earthed out on body now i have no power at all to centeral locking or elect windows. So im after a wire diagram as i have traced (white/red) wire back to fuse pannel under steer colum, but from there im not sure , I dont realy want to cut all conduit off to trace the wire from there.. Need wire diagram.. please
chadolux

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks