EGR valve block off

Re: EGR valve block off

Postby KTM525EXC on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:08 +0000

chip it will you be selling the blank in the future to block the EGR?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 4:50 +0000

bansheebuzz wrote:as i said earlier it can cause vehicle to go limp mode, since i put it back to original i've had no problems

bansheebuzz wrote: but some feed back from my short testing. my d4d is chiped(xede piggy back ecu) and 3 inch with manual.

disconnected solenoid, vehicle drove fine for aprrox 250k, when pulling up a hill with light throttle the check light came on and vehicle went to limp mode. turned off the car, restarted it still in limp mode. Turned off again, reconnected solenoid and vehicle fine again. drove another 250k home no problem.

Banseebuzz,

is it possible you had problems with you situation because you disconnected the solenoid plug rather than leave it conneted and fit a blanking plug like Chipit did?

disconnecting a plug will bring up a fault code, but blocking off the pipe looks like it wont.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby bansheebuzz on Fri, 09 Jul 2010 6:29 +0000

the fault i was getting was not directly related to the solenoid, it was to do with the turbo, cant remember exact code but from memory i think it would intermittantly overboost, so putting a plate in can still cause this, im not saying every car will fault, it may depend on your mods, but mine definatly does not like the egr disconnected
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby tonymtber on Sun, 11 Jul 2010 5:47 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:
bansheebuzz wrote:as i said earlier it can cause vehicle to go limp mode, since i put it back to original i've had no problems

bansheebuzz wrote: but some feed back from my short testing. my d4d is chiped(xede piggy back ecu) and 3 inch with manual.

disconnected solenoid, vehicle drove fine for aprrox 250k, when pulling up a hill with light throttle the check light came on and vehicle went to limp mode. turned off the car, restarted it still in limp mode. Turned off again, reconnected solenoid and vehicle fine again. drove another 250k home no problem.

Banseebuzz,

is it possible you had problems with you situation because you disconnected the solenoid plug rather than leave it conneted and fit a blanking plug like Chipit did?

Never had any fault codes with mine blocked off

disconnecting a plug will bring up a fault code, but blocking off the pipe looks like it wont.
tonymtber

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:24 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:chip it will you be selling the blank in the future to block the EGR?

Yes, they should be ready soon. Keep an eye on the website.

http://chipit.com.au/products-page/4-wd-category-checkout/

Cheers
CHIP IT

Postby bms on Wed, 15 Sep 2010 9:09 +0000

Just wonderin has anyone had any issues with the manifold carbon issue like the tritons seem to be having on their Lux and if not why block it :? :? :?:
bms

Postby CHIP IT on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:01 +0000

Roy wrote:This might sound like a silly question, but where is the EGR valve located?

Cheers
Roy

Hi Roy

See here under Toyota

http://chipit.com.au/support/installation_manuals/egr_blanking_plate
CHIP IT

Postby KTM525EXC on Sat, 25 Sep 2010 6:56 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:
KTM525EXC wrote:chip it will you be selling the blank in the future to block the EGR?

Yes, they should be ready soon. Keep an eye on the website.

http://chipit.com.au/products-page/4-wd-category-checkout/

Cheers

Hey Robert i notice your selling the EGR blank now :D

i also notice you put up 2 ways to blank the EGR,

1. was with your plate where it joins the EGR cooler

2. was to block up the pipe on the EGR actuator but i notice it says "works 80% of the time" whats it mean by that? does it go into limp home mode? sometimes or throw up an error?

cheers Troy
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby CHIP IT on Sun, 26 Sep 2010 3:38 +0000

both ways seem to throw up codes at times. We just do no tknow why some work and some dont. We have tried one method on a car and it threw up codes and then went to the other method and it was fine.

I would try blocking the tube first so that you save your money
CHIP IT

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:37 +0000

hey robert

where you block the pipe that stops the switching valve from opening on the egr cooler where it shows on your diagram the ''cooler side'' and the "bypass side'' the cooler side goes back into the engine correct? but where does the bypass gasses go?

edit: also i was playing around with my egr system on the weekend and noticed that disconecting that pipe you speak off allows the egr to stay open????????????????????

cheers Troy
Last edited by KTM525EXC on Tue, 22 Feb 2011 9:06 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby CHIP IT on Tue, 22 Feb 2011 7:25 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:that one was fine.

all went well, but 50% of the 05 models are not able to be chipped.

We can do all 05 models onwards. We have a new board with different emulation properties :)

PLUS, on all vehicles, but especially the 05/06 Hilux, whilst you are doing the chip install, or any other convenient time, you should clean the MAF meter with commercially available cleaner (eg Repco: MAF Cleaner). Remove the pipe housing the MAF meter, spray it well to clean dirk and oil (especially if you have a K&N air filter or similar. Reinstall the pipe when MAF is dry and make sure air filter is new (MAF must be dry before starting car). Cleaning the MAF meter helps stop an error code on the 05/06 Lux and keeps all vehicles working efficiently. After all, the MAF is responsible for letting the factory ECU how much air is being drawn in and therefore how much fuel should be injected.

I would be interested to know if people are getting a better running engine by just doing this. We are doing this on every vehicle that comes in with a sports type air filter.
CHIP IT

Postby axeten on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 12:03 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:
CHIP IT wrote:that one was fine.

all went well, but 50% of the 05 models are not able to be chipped.

We can do all 05 models onwards. We have a new board with different emulation properties :)

PLUS, on all vehicles, but especially the 05/06 Hilux, whilst you are doing the chip install, or any other convenient time, you should clean the MAF meter with commercially available cleaner (eg Repco: MAF Cleaner). Remove the pipe housing the MAF meter, spray it well to clean dirk and oil (especially if you have a K&N air filter or similar. Reinstall the pipe when MAF is dry and make sure air filter is new (MAF must be dry before starting car). Cleaning the MAF meter helps stop an error code on the 05/06 Lux and keeps all vehicles working efficiently. After all, the MAF is responsible for letting the factory ECU how much air is being drawn in and therefore how much fuel should be injected.

I would be interested to know if people are getting a better running engine by just doing this. We are doing this on every vehicle that comes in with a sports type air filter.

Hey Robert,

Do you change the air filters when doing the chips? i read that you shouldnt use K&N or other oil filters as it can dirty the MAF sensor. Do you just keep the standard air filter in?

Also, Have you blocked off many 2006 model EGR's using the blank plate but without doing a chip or anything else? Any problems that you know of when doing this?

Cheers
Alex
axeten

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 8:17 +0000

The K&N (or any sports filter) is OK as long as you are on sealed roads ... they are lousy at keeping the fine dust out.

Also the other issue is that MOST people tend to over oil them when washing or fitting them. If you see what film of oil is on them from factory you will see they are only JUST coated ... and only on the dirty air side.

When over oiled the oil will travel with the airflow and hit smack bang onto the MAF and make the readings worse. :cry:

If you go bush, or travel near an industrial work site etc, use a clean paper type filter.

EGR blanking when done at the exhaust manifold will always work a treat Alex. helps the turbo spool up and improves fuel economy
CHIP IT

Postby axeten on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 9:25 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:The K&N (or any sports filter) is OK as long as you are on sealed roads ... they are lousy at keeping the fine dust out.

Also the other issue is that MOST people tend to over oil them when washing or fitting them. If you see what film of oil is on them from factory you will see they are only JUST coated ... and only on the dirty air side.

When over oiled the oil will travel with the airflow and hit smack bang onto the MAF and make the readings worse. :cry:

If you go bush, or travel near an industrial work site etc, use a clean paper type filter.

EGR blanking when done at the exhaust manifold will always work a treat Alex. helps the turbo spool up and improves fuel economy

Thanks
Is there a better than factory paper filter you can buy? I go on the beach and stuff so dont want to risk the other type.

I had a look today at where to block it at the exhaust manifold, but couldnt really see with the cover on. The T-off to the EGR comes off the manifold before the turbo doesnt it?
Theres no photos of the flange on this forum somewhere is there?
I will eventually get a chip from you guys but for now just blanking off the EGR will be cheap and stop the build up of crud in my intake.
Cheers
axeten

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 9:36 +0000

Paper type is your friend

8-)

Re EGT blanking fitment, I have placed the instructions on the website under Support | Install Manuals

See here:

http://www.chipit.com.au/support/instal ... king_plate
Last edited by CHIP IT on Tue, 01 Mar 2011 7:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
CHIP IT

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 23 Feb 2011 10:17 +0000

KTM525EXC wrote:hey robert

where you block the pipe that stops the switching valve from opening on the egr cooler where it shows on your diagram the ''cooler side'' and the "bypass side'' the cooler side goes back into the engine correct? but where does the bypass gasses go?

edit: also i was playing around with my egr system on the weekend and noticed that disconecting that pipe you speak off allows the egr to stay open????????????????????

cheers Troy

?????????
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby CHIP IT on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 6:26 +0000

Hi Troy.

The EGR Block does NOT occur at the valve. It needs to be at the exhaust manifold.

I dont know wht the hot by pass is allowed as I would think you need all of that 300-500 deg cel temp to be cooled by the 80 deg cel coolant.

Blocking the hose was given to us by a member of the forum. Did you test with the vehicle at rest? Valve may close on engine start up :?: :?: :?:
CHIP IT

Postby KTM525EXC on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 8:58 +0000

yeah it was checked at rest and then with the engine started, also with reving the engine but i fuigured the engine needs to be under load for it to close.
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby Bull on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 9:44 +0000

axeten wrote:Is there a better than factory paper filter you can buy? I go on the beach and stuff so dont want to risk the other type.

I'm not an expert on EGR but I've yet to find a better air filter than genuine.
Bull

Postby Jack S on Thu, 24 Feb 2011 9:46 +0000

Correct Bull!
Its actually suprising but the filters you get from Toyota are actually quite good and great quality/microns....
Jack S

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks