EGR valve block off

Re: EGR valve block off

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 13 Apr 2010 8:07 +0000

Ill hold you to that ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Noidea on Wed, 14 Apr 2010 9:00 +0000

mmaaxx wrote:Sorry OxMan, I dont have that pic anymore....heres a pic from toydiy.com...hopefully it can help with getting the ball rolling -

EGR System

Im interested in this mod...so whats the final verdict?

Do we disconnect a plug, block a hose, or fit an actualy blanking plate somewhere?

ChipIt, if your chip can overcome any fault codes that get logged Im assuming you've come across this mod on a hilux, so more info would be apppreciated.

So this spools the turbi earlier/quicker? is that right, coz I could do with some more of that.

What he said :D
Noidea

Postby smaca on Thu, 15 Apr 2010 1:15 +0000

Hi the_campbell,

I also have an 06 D4D. Can you please post a photo of the solenoide that opens the EGR Valve and where about it's located?

Thanks
smaca

Postby Hilux Max on Sun, 18 Apr 2010 9:15 +0000

bansheebuzz wrote:costarican - there is 2 vacume solenoids on the left side of the engine(inlt side) at the throttle body, unplug the top solenoid, its as simple as that.

bansheebuzz, are you reffering to vacumn hose 90445-T003 in the pic below?

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby bansheebuzz on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 6:10 +0000

i dont see a pic maxx, but some feed back from my short testing. my d4d is chiped(xede piggy back ecu) and 3 inch with manual.

disconnected solenoid, vehicle drove fine for aprrox 250k, when pulling up a hill with light throttle the check light came on and vehicle went to limp mode. turned off the car, restarted it still in limp mode. Turned off again, reconnected solenoid and vehicle fine again. drove another 250k home no problem.

Noticed on the way home trip computer was reporting considerabley better fuel consumption with egr back on and have had a think about a few things with the system

The management system has no way of monitoring the exhaust gas and cannot correct mixtures if you alter the system. if you disable the egr you now have altered the fuel mixtures as the computer will still be expecting the egr to return exhaust gas back to the intake.

it will affect the turbo, thats is the fault i was getting on the scan tool, because you are now pushing more exhaust through the turbine causing it to spin up differently from what the computer wants it to. once again the boost pattern is computor controlled and has its own factory maps it likes to keep to.

Egr actually reduces combustion temp as it returns a non combustable gas back into the system.

In the long and short of it all, the ecu puts many limitations on what you can modify, unlike to old rotary pump diesels, so disable at your own risk! I know i will be leaving mine in working order and the exhaust gas returning back to the engine isnt really going to cause and ill effect, egr systems have been around for over 25 years and i have seen many vehicles perform 500000k plus with working egr
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
Mudgeeraba Auto Electrical
bansheebuzz

Postby CHIP IT on Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:04 +0000

Hi guys.

Our Chip allows us (you) to change the MAP sensor voltage emulation so as to tell the factory ECU that there is enough pressure in the manifold. For all vehicle we have tested this defeats the EGR blanking error codes.

What is interesting is that today we successfully re-tuned a 05 Lux. We achieve really high results (numbers) and did not get any error codes where some 05 - early 06 vehicle were giving us (and other Chip manufacturers) grief

We were recently told that someone had error codes with the Chip and when went back to the dealer (without the chip installed) he asked the dealer to errr ... "check out the vehicle" and the dealer reportedly said the vehicle had an injector failing. Once this was fixed the Chip was re-installed and the error that was there previously disappeared. Go figure.

I wonder if these error codes were all, in fact, injector related. i know many have had injector issues. Any news and info on this guys ???

This 05 Lux that we did today (Monday) will be back in on Wednesday for the EGR blank. We will have more news (and hopefully pics) then.

mmaaxx, the turbo does indeed spool quicker (as it is not "losing" that small amount of pressure to the inlet manifold.

Cheers

mmaaxx wrote:
Im interested in this mod...so whats the final verdict?

Do we disconnect a plug, block a hose, or fit an actualy blanking plate somewhere?

ChipIt, if your chip can overcome any fault codes that get logged Im assuming you've come across this mod on a hilux, so more info would be apppreciated.

So this spools the turbi earlier/quicker? is that right, coz I could do with some more of that.
CHIP IT

Postby tufflux08 on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:16 +0000

Hi Robert as you know i have a CHIP IT module and has the smoke issues, well i blanked the EGR as you said and also blocked that vacuum hose which actuates the valve. i drove for about 200kms and noticed the engine malfunction light has come on, i removed the negative battery terminal and reset it , the light stayed off for another 400 kms but has come on again and now wont stay off for more than 10kms. i thought the chip it module should stop this light from coming on?? do you think maybe its something else setting this light off??
tufflux08

Postby bansheebuzz on Tue, 27 Apr 2010 12:01 +0000

i could be something else but i suggest it is most likely due to you blocking the egr, only way to know is get the codes checked. you are most likely getting the turbo fault code that i experianced due to the system over boosting.
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
bansheebuzz

Postby tonymtber on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 7:10 +0000

bansheebuzz wrote:i could be something else but i suggest it is most likely due to you blocking the egr, only way to know is get the codes checked. you are most likely getting the turbo fault code that i experianced due to the system over boosting.

Yeah I agree, start with checking the codes first so you know exactly what the problem is.

I've had my EGR disabled for a few months now with no codes or problems....
tonymtber

Postby tufflux08 on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 7:36 +0000

tonymtber... did you disable your EGR witha plate at the inlet manifold or block that vacuum hose?
tufflux08

Postby tonymtber on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:58 +0000

tufflux08 wrote:tonymtber... did you disable your EGR witha plate at the inlet manifold or block that vacuum hose?

The plate was to hard to do with removing the cooler assembly so I blocked the tube to the solenoid.

Here is a copy of my previous post:
Here is a link to a schematic of the 3.0 engine EGR system:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_200703 ... _2501.html

First I removed the 2 bolts to attempt to make up a blank in place of gasket "25628" as Brendon has done on his, but this also involves loosening a heap of hard to get at bolts so the who EGR cooling system can be moved. So I decided this would be a long & hard job & put it back together. Ideally, I would like a plate installed but that will be further down the track after a bit more testing.

So, from there I removed the vacuum line to the EGR 2 valve "25630" & then folded it over & put a zip tie around it. After I've finished testing I'll block it with a ball bearing & replace it so it looks all factory.

Took it for a test drive & have found the following:
- No error codes appeared
- Turbo boosts up at lower RPM a bit more (hardly noticeable really)
- When coasting down hill the water temp drops 2-3 degrees. My guess is that without the hot exhaust gasses going through the EGR cooler, the cooling system is less stressed.
- Idle down time is much quicker. EGT temps drop noticeably quicker at idle.

Hope this helps!
tonymtber

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:00 +0000

Hi Tuff

Have you got a scan guage?

Get us the codes to start diagnosing the issue. Sounds like EGR issue at this stage.

Cheers

RR

tufflux08 wrote:Hi Robert as you know i have a CHIP IT module and has the smoke issues, well i blanked the EGR as you said and also blocked that vacuum hose which actuates the valve. i drove for about 200kms and noticed the engine malfunction light has come on, i removed the negative battery terminal and reset it , the light stayed off for another 400 kms but has come on again and now wont stay off for more than 10kms. i thought the chip it module should stop this light from coming on?? do you think maybe its something else setting this light off??
CHIP IT

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 1:23 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:Hi guys.

Our Chip allows us (you) to change the MAP sensor voltage emulation so as to tell the factory ECU that there is enough pressure in the manifold. For all vehicle we have tested this defeats the EGR blanking error codes.

What is interesting is that today we successfully re-tuned a 05 Lux. We achieve really high results (numbers) and did not get any error codes where some 05 - early 06 vehicle were giving us (and other Chip manufacturers) grief

We were recently told that someone had error codes with the Chip and when went back to the dealer (without the chip installed) he asked the dealer to errr ... "check out the vehicle" and the dealer reportedly said the vehicle had an injector failing. Once this was fixed the Chip was re-installed and the error that was there previously disappeared. Go figure.

I wonder if these error codes were all, in fact, injector related. i know many have had injector issues. Any news and info on this guys ???

This 05 Lux that we did today (Monday) will be back in on Wednesday for the EGR blank. We will have more news (and hopefully pics) then.

mmaaxx, the turbo does indeed spool quicker (as it is not "losing" that small amount of pressure to the inlet manifold.

Cheers

any more info robert how it went?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby CHIP IT on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 3:35 +0000

that one was fine.

all went well, but 50% of the 05 models are not able to be chipped.

EDIT: We can do all 05 models onwards. We have a new board with different emulation properties :)

Also, on all vehicles, whilst you are doing the chip install, or any other time, you should clean the MAF meter with commercially available cleaner (Repco MAF Cleaner). reinstall when dry and make sure air filter is new. This helps stop tan error code on the 05/06 Lux and keeps all vehicles working efficiently. After all, the MAF is responsible for letting the factory ECU how much air is being drawn in and therefore how much fuel should be injected
Last edited by CHIP IT on Tue, 22 Feb 2011 7:20 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
CHIP IT

EGR valve block off

Postby KTM525EXC on Wed, 07 Jul 2010 5:34 +0000

Where did ya end up blanking the egr?
D4D THE WAY TO BE!!!!!!
KTM if it's not orange, its a lemon
KTM's Kick Arse Buildup
KTM525EXC

Postby CHIP IT on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 6:28 +0000

always at the ex manifold. Pri@k of a job to do
CHIP IT

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 7:42 +0000

CHIP IT wrote:always at the ex manifold. Pri@k of a job to do

tonymtber wrote:The plate was to hard to do with removing the cooler assembly so I blocked the tube to the solenoid.

Here is a copy of my previous post:
Here is a link to a schematic of the 3.0 engine EGR system:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_200703 ... _2501.html

First I removed the 2 bolts to attempt to make up a blank in place of gasket "25628" as Brendon has done on his, but this also involves loosening a heap of hard to get at bolts so the who EGR cooling system can be moved. So I decided this would be a long & hard job & put it back together. Ideally, I would like a plate installed but that will be further down the track after a bit more testing.

So, from there I removed the vacuum line to the EGR 2 valve "25630" & then folded it over & put a zip tie around it. After I've finished testing I'll block it with a ball bearing & replace it so it looks all factory.

Took it for a test drive & have found the following:
- No error codes appeared
- Turbo boosts up at lower RPM a bit more (hardly noticeable really)
- When coasting down hill the water temp drops 2-3 degrees. My guess is that without the hot exhaust gasses going through the EGR cooler, the cooling system is less stressed.
- Idle down time is much quicker. EGT temps drop noticeably quicker at idle.

Hope this helps!

Chip It,

Just to help the members out that are interested, please confirm what you did and if it is the same as what Tonymtber originally planned to do by fitting a blanking plug in position #25628 where the gasket is and where I have circled in red below?
EGR2.JPG

Here is another picture of the EGR system, and how it works - where the arrow shows the flow of the EGR gas is where Chip It is blocking it off.
EGR1.JPG

So for those of us without a chip of any sort installed, would it be worth us doing this mod? Will the turbo actually spool earlier/quicker for us too?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby CHIP IT on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 8:23 +0000

YEP, WHERE THE LARGE INLET ARROW IS POINTING IN THE SECOND PIC and where you circled the first pic.

It will make turbo spool up quicker for all vehicles as circa 10% of the exhaust pressure is not re-routed from the turbo ... thus making more pressure/heat available to spool up the turbine wheel.
CHIP IT

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 8:33 +0000

any side/negative effects to it?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby bansheebuzz on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:55 +0000

as i said earlier it can cause vehicle to go limp mode, since i put it back to original i've had no problems
05 SR5 Xtra Cab D4D
bansheebuzz

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks