CRUISE dash light for SR with aftermarket cruise con

CRUISE dash light for SR with aftermarket cruise con

Postby fark on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 4:59 +0000

My Autron Cruise Control on/off light was mounted in a place that was hard to see. I wanted to use the factory dash indicator light, so here’s what I did.
This will take about ½ an hour, a Phillips head screwdriver, side cutters and a little patience. You will even be able to correct the over-reading speedo while you’re at it.

1 Drop the steering wheel down.
2 There is one Phillips head retainer that holds the dash surround. Half a turn anti-clockwise will have it pop out, then pull it out of the dash.
3 Pull out the dash surround.
4 Remove the 3 Phillips head screws that hold the dash in place.
5 Pull dash out and disconnect the multi-pin wiring connector.
6 TAKE NOTE OF EXACTLY WHERE your dash needles are sitting in their rest position as you will be popping them off their shafts soon.
7 Remove the white backing plate on the backside of the dash.
8 Unclip the front clear screen and black thingo that it clips to as one piece from off the main white body. You should be left with the dash needles exposed.
9 You can rotate the needles around by hand and as you move them back to the rest position you will feel them hit a stopper. When it comes time to put the needles back on, you need to make sure the shafts are in the rest position before popping the needles back on in their original position.
10 Using something to carefully slide under one side of the needle, support the other side with your fingers and using even pressure, slowly pry the needle off its shaft. It will pop off quite easily if you are careful and apply even force.
11 Once the needles are off, remove the lexan dash label and then pop the PCB off the white housing but be careful as you will have to carefully pry the PCB up from the Odometer LCD – see picture to see what I mean as it mounts through the white housing. It ends up just sitting there once the PCB has been carefully removed.
12 Find the hole where the CRUISE LED is and trim out enough plastic to allow the aftermarket Cruise LED to be put in so that when the PCB is clipped back in, it is held in place but not squashed – see pics.
13 Clip the PCB and the lexan label back on.
14 As you put the needles back on above where they would normally rest. Have the needle sitting on the shaft and with a little pressure on it, slowly rotate the needle around to its rest position. What you are doing is ensuring that when you finally push the needle all the way on, that the shaft is actually in its rest position.
15 Now’s the time to fix the over-reading speedo if you want. Push it on below where it used to sit. If it was reading 5kmh over, then pop the needle back on at approx 5kmh below the 0kmh mark. I did this to mine and went out with the GPS and found it to be very accurate at all speeds above 40kmh – better than what it used to be!
16 Put it all back together and you’re done. I’ve probably made it sound harder than what it is, but it’s really very easy.
Last edited by fark on Mon, 29 Sep 2008 7:38 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
fark

Re: CRUISE dash light for SR with aftermarket cruise con

Postby Macca on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 5:06 +0000

Great topic fark, any chance of editing the pics a bit biger for my old eyes

Macca :oops:
Macca

Postby fark on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 5:13 +0000

Hi Macca, I would love to be able to, but i can't friggen work out how to upload photos properly! I can email you the whole thing as a word doc with big photos if you want to give me an email address.

Cheers
Matt.
fark

Postby Skog07 on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 6:16 +0000

Well done Fark!!!!
Upload your pics to photobucket and click on the "IMG code" and copy it over to the thread. Looks as though you may used the Email & IM code. Gives a small pic on the thread.
Just as another modification. Could the factory clear plastic covers be replaced on the SR dash with tinted ones? Would they be easily replaced with say a tinted perspex. I have been thinking of doing something like this with mine as we dont get dash light dimmers on the SR model...
Thanks
Skog
Last edited by Skog07 on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 6:35 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Skog07

Postby dute on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 6:28 +0000

top job, now how hard would it be to set up dash light dimmers on the SR. . .
FCCW

inside Dute's black hole

"Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill"
dute

Postby fark on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 6:51 +0000

I'll look into it and post a new topic if i work it out. The main difference between SR and SR5 is the fact that the SR5 has permanent illumination with the lights off, then when you turn the lights on the dash lights dim. I have seen previous posts regarding people trying to fit the standard dimmer switch from an SR5 into the SR without success. I suspect there could be a difference in how the circuits work between the different models.
fark

Postby azzss on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 7:55 +0000

Well done, will do this to mine (i have command cruise but led looks the same as mine). Did you do this mod in the ute to save disconnecting the led from the cruise unit?.
Cheers mate.
azzss

Postby fark on Mon, 29 Sep 2008 6:53 +0000

Yes and no. I'm lazy and the drivers seat is a good position to sit and tinker. Also, the loom for the LED was heaps long enough to allow it to be relocated from the original position to up-and-out of the dash and, to allow it to be easily worked on in my lap. You could easily cut the 3 wires on the LED loom and put a connector on it if you wanted.

I was originally going to utilize the factory dash LED and traced the wire so that i could hook into that. If anyone wants to know, it's the Blue/Black (BU/BK) wire. However, this gets switched to GND when active, whereas the Autron LED switches positive.

Also, the factory CRUISE only turns green once switched on, whereas mine now turns green when on and orange when active.
fark

Postby 9W6VX on Mon, 29 Sep 2008 9:31 +0000

Nice work there fark.

Good workmanship.............
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Squid_87 on Sun, 14 Jun 2009 6:50 +0000

G'day Fark, mate when you popped out the Odometer LCD; did you loose the trip readings at all? I'm looking into an Autron cruise system. Have you had any problems with it? Thanks, Luke
Cheers,
Luke

08/05 SR single cab, heavy duty steel tray, steel canopy with vinyl sides and mozzie net, Dobinsons 2in lift, ECB big tube alloy bar, Nitestalker 100w spotlights, 55w under tray reverse spotlights, 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns on 15x7 Sunraysias
Squid_87

Postby fark on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 8:12 +0000

Hey Squid
No the LCD is just a display, therefore it has no memory retention and will not lose the odometer. BUT, when you pull the instrument cluster out, it will lose the trip meter reading due to disconnecting the power.

No problems with it, but it is not as refined as the Toyota factory cruise. If you have the SR automatic, just order in the Cruise switch from Toyota and fit it up. It will work, but there is a bit of mucking around to get it into the steering wheel, nothing too hard if your prepared to tinker. CAUTION! Airbags are dangerous and you need to unbolt the Airbag from the wheel - seek advice if you are not up to speed. I'm not prepared to give advise on a forum.
fark

Postby Squid_87 on Mon, 15 Jun 2009 6:57 +0000

Thanks for that Fark.

No I wont be installing it myself. Not too keen on messing around with airbags. Bit daunting working on devices containing stored energy, same as hydraulic accumulators at work. How is the Autron not as refined as the Toyota factory cruise? I own a SR manual, would that make a difference?
Cheers,
Luke

08/05 SR single cab, heavy duty steel tray, steel canopy with vinyl sides and mozzie net, Dobinsons 2in lift, ECB big tube alloy bar, Nitestalker 100w spotlights, 55w under tray reverse spotlights, 31x10.5 Maxxis Bighorns on 15x7 Sunraysias
Squid_87

Postby Squid_87 on Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:35 +0000

Just finished installing the Autron LED into the instrument cluster. Thanks for all of the good pictures and info Fark. Has made the installation much easier
Cheers,
Luke

Squid_87

Postby bill_i_am on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 6:18 +0000

Cheers mate, great instructions. Just finished the install in an hour or so. I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
bill_i_am

Postby charlie59 on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 7:24 +0000

Gday Guys,I'm interested in doing this to my autron cruise control but was just wondering about the orange light when active?.Where it is down low its bloody annoying at night,how does it go on the eyes in the factory spot.Cheers Charlie.
charlie59

Postby bill_i_am on Mon, 11 Oct 2010 7:36 +0000

No worries at all Charlie, myself and another member from this forum have both done it. Certainly doesn't bother me, although having an orange/red light up on the dash is a bit strange at first glance. The first question being "what is wrong".
I might be slow, but I'm rough.......
bill_i_am

Postby charlie59 on Sat, 16 Oct 2010 4:52 +0000

Thanks Bill,I will give it a go.Cheers Charlie.
charlie59

Postby robert.campbell5 on Mon, 25 May 2015 12:42 +0000

Nice work.

I was just about to order the autostrada CC for my 07 KUN26R.

Does anyone know of an easy way to rig an LED light up to the autostrada CC?

There is nothing in the autostrada thread but this seemed a more relevant place to ask.
robert.campbell5

Postby davbar65 on Mon, 25 May 2015 4:32 +0000

I have the autostrada cruise. It includes a pre-wired LED in the kit you can mount pretty much anywhere, including in the factory spot in the dash as detailed above.
I put mine here
But I really like what Fark has done.
davbar65

Postby robert.campbell5 on Thu, 04 Jun 2015 6:12 +0000

davbar65 wrote:I have the autostrada cruise. It includes a pre-wired LED in the kit you can mount pretty much anywhere, including in the factory spot in the dash as detailed above.
I put mine here
But I really like what Fark has done.
Thanks for the reply davbar65.

Just got my kit in the post. Glad to see they already come with an LED fitted. I think I'll have a go at putting it in the dash too. Yours is in a good spot but that would be right behind my scanguage.
robert.campbell5

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks