tigerz winch

tigerz winch

Postby gcrc on Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:29 +0000

Bit interested in the tigerz11 10000lb winch.
Scanning the net there looks to be some ok reports on them.
I guess it wouldn't compare to Warn but anyone have experience with them?
Cheers,
gcrc
gcrc

Re: tigerz winch

Postby Cool95 on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 6:03 +0000

I bought a 12000lb rope winch a couple of months ago, I tested it before I put it in the bar hooked up to the battery all worked ok, checked free spool was very tight but guessed this was because it was new. On installation found that it would not free spool, contacted Paul at Tigerz11 and he referred me on to Ben his techo. As I had to rotate the gearbox so the lever was on the top, he said that I had not lined up the notch on the seal (note: this is not mentioned in Pauls video) so they sent me a new seal.

I took the bar off again, this time realised I could save lots of time by removing the ARB bar from the crush cans, easy this time. I checked the seal it was seated correctly and no damage, checked the free spool at the motor end no problems, then checked at the gearbox tight as.... but wait something was different with the replacement seal it had a compression slot in it where the original did not so I decided to replace, easier said than done eventually cut it out and greased every up and put the new seal in, worked a treat free spooled easily. Haven't used it in anger yet, did re-spool it on tree seems a little slow but this was mainly I suspect the onlookers in the local park I had collected. probably thinking I was ripping the 60' pine out of the ground...

Wished it had been my problem in the end with the seal instead of a crook seal in the first place, but Tigerz11 were ok with after purchase support, so not complaining. I have written back to them highlighting the problem with the original seal, suspect this may be fixed with future, when you get it make sure it free spools easily if not don't install,get them to send out the correct seal with the compression slot in it.

All in all a great winch has cable remote and wireless remote, and the plasma is a lot easier and lighter to use (guess someone could start a new thread on the pros and cons of rope vs wire it's just my opinion). I have a picture only one on my profile must get around to adding more, I was able to hide the solenoid box on top of the winch out of sight under the bar, looks neat.

i HAVE ADDED IMAGES TO MY PROFILE OF THE WINCH INSTALLED IN THE BAR

Cool95
Cool95

Postby gcrc on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 9:26 +0000

Great work there Cool95. Thanks for your input.
I spoke to them about it and they seem to think it's not a problem, but I'll print this out and ask for the people you spoke to and ensure it's going to be ok.
When did you get yours?
You went for 12000 over 10000. I'm not that serious 4wd'er - you reckon 10k would do?
Thanks again,
gcrc
gcrc

Postby Cool95 on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 9:48 +0000

Hi GCRC,

Got mine in June off ebay from memory it was $599 for the 12000lb bit of an overkill for the hilux but good price the rope I think is rated 16500lbs but that is breaking point so SWL (safe working load) is usually about 1/6 of that about 3000lbs, this also applies to wire as well, winch manuafacturers should use SWL. As for 12000lb winch rating guess that this is also breaking point also so is probably 2000lb SWL so this sort of makes lifting a truck off the ground rather impossible, even it it only weighs in at around 3000lbs dry!!.

If there are riggers out there may be able to explain it better.

Water is a winches worst enemy, so after every trip I unspool (clean the rope if used) and rewind under a bit of load so the rope packs tight, the heat from the drum gets rid of any water in the winch rather than have it sitting there corroding the winch away, the rope makes this so much easier to do over wire. If this done monthly the winch will last you a long time and you know it will work when you need it!!
Cool95

Postby gcrc on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 7:24 +0000

I bought it and have fitted it. A bit of fiddling around but I got there!
Here's a summary for others wishing to know...

I have the ARB delux winch bar. Must take the bar off because it does not fit between bar and bar bracket - bummer!
Had to rotate the control unit bracket 180 degrees to fit inside the bar. Drilled a couple of holes in bottom of this unit, then drilled two holes inside the bar to mount this unit. See below, the bar is face down on the ground.

Must rotate the clutch housing about 90 degrees. Once off, this housing should be rotated anti-clockwise two screw holes when the housing is lying as shown in the picture below. Note that I did not have the problem that Cool95 did with the seal - it already had a notch in it!. Still gotta be a little careful.

Had to cut the bar opening where the Fairlead goes, to make it lower. This was a pain, but here's the end result.

The supplied bolts were too short and did not screw into the nut once the Fairlead, bar frame and washers were put in place. I got a little frustrated after a few attempts (thought they weren't lining up) but resolved to get longer bolts from Bunnings which worked a treat!

Below is the end result.

The below link is to the full set of pictures which may be of use.

http://www.picklinux.com.au/winch/

Remote is working well, but the wire hand controller is not working - will follow that up! Also think I got dicked on the price of a cut out switch (which I recommend due to some nasty stories)- will also follow that up.

Cheers,
gcrc
gcrc

Postby gcrc on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 8:12 +0000

Also some handy instrutions for mounting and turning gearbox.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4tIIbARAlHg

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=H0sjwaght-M
gcrc

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:18 +0000

Moving this to Technical - Tips & Tricks.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Return to Tips & Tricks