hilux rear drum problem

hilux rear drum problem

Postby uglyfish on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 8:29 +0000

hi people
i have a hilux 2002 sr5 dual cab ute
i have a major problem that no 1 can seem to fix .i have had new drum pads fitted & what seems to be happening is they r over self adjusting to a point where i was driving & the whole car started to shudder voilently as rear brakes had adjusted to much & where burning on the drums .ive had to replace drums as they became worn with high spots & another set of new pads but the problem is still happening but it could go a cpl weeks & then bam it does it again i have to come to a complete stop because of the shaking then try & drive off again but u can smell the brakes burning & its difficult to stop when the car is shaking .they have adjusted the proportioning valve makes no diff does it towing & not towing .all lines have been tested & ok i really need some help here as every 1 i speak to has no idea or can fix the problem for me .has any 1 experinced this problem or can recommend a service centre that can help me i live n sydney ps it mainly affects right hand side rear
cheers
uglyfish

Re: hilux rear drum problem

Postby fgk228 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 9:01 +0000

I have the exact same problem. I couldn't find any one who could resolve it so the mechanic disconnected the rear auto adjuster and it has been fine so I'm going to leave it as.

It the work shop manual it says that old springs in the drum can cause the drum to drag. Could be it but I'm happy with it now and just get them adjusted every service.
fgk228

Postby fgk228 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 9:03 +0000

Also the mechnice said every time the hand brake was used the auto adjuster went up a click untill it was over adjusted.
fgk228

Postby rysermon on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 9:11 +0000

well were on two opposite ends of the scale haha.. my hand brake is crap! i have to get under there and tighten it like once a month il tighten it up good and within a week it will have already lost its place. if i have a auto adjuster its stuffed lol
"Lifes Simple, You make choices and you dont look back"
08 (09facelift) Hilux SR D4D - Daily and adventure vehicle
99 Silvia S15 Spec r - Sunday driver
rysermon

Postby andy666 on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:16 +0000

Leaky wheel cylinder?
666 High Idle Kits to suit 05+ hilux Available Here
My Build Thread.
andy666

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Mon, 09 Dec 2013 1:03 +0000

Have you taken the drum off and inspected the adjuster screw assembly? What about the return springs?

Mud and water can easily get into the drum and play havoc on moving parts.

I use lithium grease on the rear axle for this reason to keep water out.

Can you take the drum off and take a photo of inside?
BIGFOOTJR

Postby BURNSEY-94 on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 7:42 +0000

A lot of "mechanics" remove parts from rear brake assemblies, I would check that all the parts are there.

Toyota make a good rear brake assembly.

**35 years brake experience.
Cheers,

Tom.

Every day in the bush, adds one week to your life.
BURNSEY-94

Postby uglyfish on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:40 +0000

fgk228 thats what they did took out the auto adjuster but towing a boat a lot i need a good hand brake & rear brakes so its back there today for them to have another go at .
bigfootjr i havent myself but the drums & pads r brand new had to replace them after they got high spots from being over tightened so eveeything is clean & smick & havent been inany mud or water .burnsey i would hope all parts r there i will see what happens when i get it back this time .andy 666 no leeks anywhere &have had master cylinder & lines tested.its really frustrating i can tell u hopefully ill have a solution to share with u soon if not i dont know where to go next or what to do should i go to toyota service centre u think ????
uglyfish

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:07 +0000

BURNSEY-94 wrote:A lot of "mechanics" remove parts from rear brake assemblies, I would check that all the parts are there.

Toyota make a good rear brake assembly.

**35 years brake experience.

Beat me to it, was gonna say the same thing. I replaced my rear shoes recently. Not only with new shoes but also new set of springs and clips.

Took photo's from different angles on my phone before I pulled everything apart so I can use it as a guide to put it back together.

Very easy to hook a spring to the wrong location if you arent paying attention. That self adjustor also is easy to mess up upon installation if your not careful.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby uglyfish on Sun, 15 Dec 2013 3:01 +0000

well they put new set of genuine toyota pads on & ill see how it goes will report back soon
id hope all the pats r there & in correct order as i didnt do it i dont know how they r supposed to look might have to get a service manual to check
uglyfish

Return to Tips & Tricks