Speedo Correction via OB2 WiFi Plug?

Speedo Correction via OB2 WiFi Plug?

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 30 May 2016 9:24 +0000

General Enquiry relating to Speedo Correction devices that can be used on the new Hilux's - I dont think the likes of a hard wired adaptor like "Marks Adaptors Speedo Ratio Box" is required, but I am not that tech-savvy. So hoping some of you tech-heads can chime in.

I've looked into the Wi-Fi capable OB2 plugs and i "think" something can be done regarding a Bluetooth connection to a tiny OBD2 plug like attached below, but I dont know enough about them. I saw a post not long ago where somethign simiilar was used on a 200 Series, and enabled the driver to have the center display screen on the dash show several gauges (oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, etc) including the "actual" speed of the vehicle not whats on the odometer.

Thinking in relation to when your running larger than stock tyres. Please chime in, if you know something about this stuff as Im sure there'll be plenty of other people in the same boat.

http://www.carplugs.com/obd2bluetooth.html

Coupled with the TorqueLite App -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwib3JnLnByb3dsLnRvcnF1ZWZyZWUiXQ..

See what your car is doing in realtime, get fault codes, sensor data and more!
An OBD II engine ECU diagnostics tool that uses a cheap bluetooth ELM / OBD adapter to connect to your car OBD2 engine management system

Some features include:

* Shows and Resets engine fault codes / DTC trouble codes stored in your car

* Can export map/track log files to Google Earth KML / CSV

* Engine performance data(0 to 60, 0-100, quarter mile, etc) (full version)

* Head up Display / GPS HUD mode perfect for checking your speed at night

* Data Logging functions including web upload and file logging, you can even upload data to your own web server from sensors you choose

* Customisable dashboard with theme support - setup the dashboard with the gauges and dials that you want

* Can help you fix your car and helps keep car repair costs down!

* Turbo Boost gauge support for VW vehicles (in Pro version only)

* MPG for Petrol/Gasoline vehicles. (Pro version has diesel support)

This is the free/basic version - it lets you get a feel for the application and lets you find out if it works with your vehicle / obd2 adapter combination; but may contain some small bugs including not working on some nissan/chrysler/subaru ECUs. The paid version has support for more vehicles and ECU types, looks a lot nicer, and works with more cars / trucks

The paid version has more features (HorsePower,Torque, 0-60 , quarter mile tests, graph data, map / track views) + no adverts and exra dial/display types! and better ABS / Knock sensor support, Transmission temperature support for some makes of car / trucks (GM / Ford, etc), and Turbo Boost on many more vehicles (including VW)

Would this read the "exact" speed your doing if driving with oversized tyres, or what the vehicle "thinks" is the correct speed your doing?
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Speedo Correction via OB2 WiFi Plug?

Postby LocalFart on Mon, 30 May 2016 9:40 +0000

I have the Paid Torque app and a Bluetooth OBDII plug. the speed that is displayed is the same as what is on the speedo... so It would be the speed the ECU thinks the car is going.

edit: I came to this conclusion as I didn't have the GPS enabled either
LocalFart

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 30 May 2016 9:57 +0000

Thanks for confirming that.

Wouldnt you think that it wouldnt be that difficult to add an option to the app where you can select various ratios to calculate the original signal off that will give you the end result you seek based upon the overall diameter tyre your running?

Like the Marks Adaptors setup thats hard wired, you have toggle switches you flick in a predetermined position to change the output ratio the signal sends to the speedometer, but this I beleive could be done via the OBD2 plug and the app.

Might keep searching and trying to find a fix.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby LocalFart on Mon, 30 May 2016 10:10 +0000

I do know that it you can calibrate the speedo on the laptop... cant remember what program I was using but there are a few more options on the laptop/computer programs...

But keep us all informed... cause anyone with an old phone can mount it and have the app running each time they get into the car...
LocalFart

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 30 May 2016 11:03 +0000

yeah but as you said, the app isnt any good if it reads what the vehicles ECU thinks the cars doing, as opposed to what its really doing.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby taylux on Tue, 31 May 2016 10:25 +0000

I looked into this a while back, mainly to alter between 35 and 37" tyres with 4.56 diff gears. all the OBD readers i found are just that reader only. The likes of ECUshop monster guage and scangauge will read from OBD port and can display a corrected signal on their screen, wont alter what the car thinks its doing.

I ended up visiting local VDO dealer and got a correction box and wired in, allowed a corrected speed to be displayed on the dash.

The only other option would be with the current trend of flash tuning whether a parameter could be altered to change the signal.
taylux

Postby LocalFart on Tue, 31 May 2016 10:47 +0000

yeah I was using a USB cable version to the laptop... got it on fleabay for about $7. They are read/write so I'm pretty sure you can adjust the speedo reading from ECU... I'll have a tinker at some point... I don't have a screen on the laptop at the moment though :lol: so it may be down the track.
LocalFart

Postby Ben80 on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 3:24 +0000

Another option is work out the overall ratio difference and buy the correct speedo drive gear from Toyota.
Ben80

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 3:58 +0000

You cannot buy the correct speedo drive from toyota. That is ancient technology.

They use a pulse pickup sensor that picks up the pulse off the transfercase gear as it rotates.

Similar to an ABS sensor at the wheels. Thats why previously you needed a Mark Adaptors speedo correction box as you can program the % change in the signal and convert it before it reaches the odometer.

Id think a with modern technology, should br hard to make a variable switch on one of these OBD plugs that does the same thing....converts/corrects the signal and displays it on the center screen.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Ben80 on Sat, 11 Jun 2016 1:47 +0000

OK I havn't looked into it just assumed it was the same setup as the 05- 11 which still used different gearing on the pickup sensor depending on diff ratios/tyre size
Ben80

Postby uninhibited on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 2:18 +0000

I too was hoping that the obd port would be an easy fix for the speedo.

Any idea if this would work?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Automotive-%26-Mobile-Security/Car-Electronic-Access-%26-Accessories/Car-Access-Accessories/CORRECTOR-SPEEDO-MODULE/p/AA0376
uninhibited

Postby Mrmal on Tue, 14 Jun 2016 2:34 +0000

for what its worth the marks speedo box is the go. Simply cut and splice - took half hour to install and then have someone set in the passengers set and press the plus / minus button until your speedo reads correct to a GPS. Whole install took 40 minutes from start to finish. Speedo went from 7% under to 1 k under to give me a buffer. But that's my opinion.... :)
Mrmal

Postby Twototangotones on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 5:23 +0000

Has anyone tried the Mark's Adaptors Box on and N80?
Twototangotones

Postby numberplate on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 5:57 +0000

I couldnt even see a speed sensor at the back of the transfer case , maybe i was looking in the wrong place?
numberplate

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:15 +0000

Hi guys, not sure if this will help, but i use an OBD wifi dongle, and my ipad mini running OBD fusion app.

Unsure "where" the speed comes from, other than straight out of the system.

I tend to use GPS speed anyway (which is entirely easy to add as a second speedo within the OBD Fusion app, so long as the device has a GPS reciever which my ipad mini 3g does).

Qwerty

Postby MarkTGood on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 4:45 +0000

How do Toyota do it with the different diff ratios available? Is it selectable through their configuration software?
MarkTGood

Postby coshea on Sun, 05 Mar 2017 4:08 +0000

I think the OBD2 sensor and a GPS compatible device should work fine. With the torque app you get to customize what gauges it displays. When adding dials there are two options avaliable for speed.
1- "Speed (OBD)" - What the vehicle shows
2- "Speed (GPS)" - The one your after- The actual speed calculated by the GPS of your phone/ipad being used as the display...this is obviously only as accurate as your GPS.
coshea

Postby Qwerty on Wed, 08 Mar 2017 4:38 +0000

My OBD app (OBD Fusion) has a different speed to what my dashboard says, both come from the vehicle but i don't know where/what difference is. Theyt're both innaccurate.

I use GPS speed from my garmin , or if i have my motion-X mapping software up (instead of the OBD Fusion), that shows GPS speed. Infact i think i can cahnge the speedo in the OBD app to use GPS speed instead of OBD speed anyway.
Qwerty

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 09 Mar 2017 12:00 +0000

Im working on a proper solution to this....all in due course but will fix for good.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Return to Electrical