Detroit Locker

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Detroit Locker

Postby Hilux Max on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 9:16 +0000

From what others have said in other forums, they've always stated that a front locker in an iFS hilux is better because when climbing uphill, as soon as you get one wheel off the ground, it'll wheel spin and as it lands, KABOOM, goodnight front diff. This was my main thinking in going the front locker first, protecting the front diff.

Does the rear Detroit Locker strengthen the crown wheel and pinion gear at all?

Any strengthening that you can get is an overall plus of the installation.

can we maybe organise a group buy to get some sort of discount?:-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Detroit Locker

Postby TOMUCH on Mon, 06 Aug 2007 10:28 +0000

Mmaaxx, if your in 4WD and you have a REAR locker the front wheel should not spin if raised in the air... there is a mechancial connection through the T CASE so it shouldn't spin... as long as you have at least one rear wheel on the ground and the rear locker turned on....the front wheel spinning as you describe is caused when you have no locker at all and either the rear wheels are spinning on the dirt AND one front wheel is in the air....OR.. you have no locker AND one rear and one front wheel is in the air.. yep lockers are IMHO an essential part of a good off road machine... but with IFS ..I don't think is really strong enough... seen too many broken ones in older models...As for the strenghening of the Crown Wheel (CW) and pinion... no it does not... however it will provide protection from spinning one wheel and then having it grip suddenly as you described earlier... This can really do some damage, I have seen many broken axles from this.. if your pinion height is not set up correctly this may also lead to tearing a tooth or two off the CW when the spinning tyre grabs.... I hope this helps... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Detroit Locker

Postby Rich on Tue, 07 Aug 2007 5:56 +0000

Thanks TOMUCH.

Rich
Rich

Detroit Locker

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 07 Aug 2007 8:41 +0000

thanks tomuch, your just "too Much" mate.

Nah really, thanks for the advice

8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components