Rattling noise when idling with clutch pedal pushed in

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Rattling noise when idling with clutch pedal pushed in

Postby Carp on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 6:18 +0000

I have a 2010 d4d 4x4 dual cab, March build ute that had a rattling noise whilst idling that started at only about 2500klms so i took it back to toyota and they told me it had a clutch problem and as i had noticed some slight shudder, i thought this made alot of sense.The problem was diagnosed as "bent clutch fork fingers". Toyota decided to put a whole new kit in it just to cover all bases which was fine. The job was completed and i was told it had been road tested and everything was fine but when i picked up the truck, i could still hear the same noise!. I was naturally pissed off so i took it back in and now they dont know whats wrong with it. They submitted a report to Toyota technical to see what they wanted to do but i havent heard anything from them for a month. Its really getting on my nerves as it is a brand new ute and this is not the only strange noise it currently has. The truck now has 4700 klms on it, i was hoping you guys could help diagnose this issue.
Carp

Re: rattling noise when idling

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 6:39 +0000

When my Lux was brand new 4 years ago, there was a rattling sound coming from the driver's side dashboard.

I did not bother to ask Toyota to remove it and check as I was worried that they would do more damage. Their reputation is that bad! ;)

After sometime the annoying noise went away.

Could your noise be coming from the dashboard?
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby Carp on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 6:42 +0000

sorry mate, i didnt mention the noise dissapears when i push the clutch in
Carp

Postby 9W6VX on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 6:50 +0000

No worries mate.

I have edited the title for clarity.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Re: Rattling noise when idling with clutch pedal pushed in

Postby Carp on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 7:01 +0000

as soon as i let the clutch out it starts again. The other noise is like a whining sound when im doing about 90-100kph, any slower and you cant hear it
Carp

Postby tjd000 on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 7:26 +0000

I have a 2010 sr5 and it has the same rattling noise you are talking about at idle, goes away when the clutch is pushed in, didnt notice it till around 5000k's, hasnt got any worse and clutch still works fine, will see wat they say when it goes in for 10k service later on down the track, dont have the whining sound tho !!!!
tjd000

Postby tasibrett on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 7:30 +0000

Does sound like the center of the clutch, springs rattling. Can happen if they didn't have it aligned properly when the put the box back in.
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby johnny5x on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 7:54 +0000

Its your thrust bearing, many of us including me have this same issue with our trucks
johnny5x

Postby melazz on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 8:07 +0000

I have a 2006 model but the sound description is exactally the same. Mine was out of warrantee so we removed the clutch and found 2 bent fingers on the pressure plate. Although the clutch was not completely worn out we replaced the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

My rattling noise was the throwout bearing running loose when it had no pressure on it, but when the clutch pedal was pushed the bearing was loaded up and the rattle went away. I find it very hard to beleive the clutch fork had bent! did you see the parts that came out????

I didn't put an original part back in on the basis that there were so many complaints on this issue. No problem since.

I can only suggest that it's the squeeky door that gets oiled!.......get on the phone and be Toyota's squeeky door
melazz

Postby Carp on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 8:17 +0000

ok, thanks fellas so im not alone. I just dont understand how this could happen to my truck twice in its first 4000klms, i havent even towed my boat or worked it hard at all yet. I hate to think how many more times this will happen. This problem, along with the whining sound and the crunching sound sometimes when i change from 3rd to 4th and the recalls make me think i shouldve forked out a bit extra and got the cruiser ute. I paid extra for the Hilux over its competitors based on re-sale value, reputation and the reliability factor and what have i been rewarded with? Maybe i shouldve just bought 2 Great Walls and went on a big holiday with the spare cash.

Sorry, just dissapointed is all.
Carp

Postby Viper82 on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 8:29 +0000

Get a sr single cab and you will never hear anything :D all that sound proofing just makes you hear all the noises I don't hear.
Viper82

Postby tasibrett on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 5:26 +0000

efini7 wrote:Its your thrust bearing, many of us including me have this same issue with our trucks

The last three Hilux's I have looked at all had no free travel on the clutch pedal, it should be 3-5mm.

To test to see if its thrust-release bearing, depress the pedal, if the noise goes away top to middle is bearing near the bottom is plate or wear-chipped tooth in the gearbox( not very likely)
My wife say's I am not completely useless, I can serve as a bad example for others
tasibrett

Postby Carp on Mon, 20 Sep 2010 11:04 +0000

thanx mate i will check to see where the noise stops
Carp

Postby pom82 on Sat, 20 Nov 2010 7:53 +0000

Just fitted new heavy duty clutch in mine 2 days ago due to the same issue which is play in the thrust bearing

Hope this helps u
pom82

Postby saum14 on Sun, 21 Nov 2010 7:12 +0000

Mine makes the same kind of noise . When cold , But after i drive it the noise goes away

When cold a rattling noise , Push the cluch in the noise goes away . But after i drive it and every thing warms up there is no noise at idle.

At my last service i had a chat with a tech, They had the lux for most of the day , and when i picked it up every thing was cold , And you could hear the noise at idle .

he told me If i wanted to he would throw some tools at it .. But it might not fix it , And told me that the later models had a prado flywheel, because of noises with the older models .

anyway i said i would just keep a eye on it . its done it from close to new .built date September 09 ,Now i have 15000km on it
saum14

Postby Carp on Sun, 21 Nov 2010 1:38 +0000

mine is exactly the same with the cold start rattling, now they said it was the flywheel. Toyota has since changed it and still the noise remains. they still reckon they cant hear the whistling/whining sound when travelling between 80/100kph but its definately there and wasnt when i first got it. It hasnt affected performance so far, i hammered past one of my mates up a big hill in his brand new patrol ute, (he had nothing) but its just really annoying
Carp

Postby Carp on Sat, 27 Nov 2010 7:01 +0000

after further investigation everything with the rattling sound seems to point to this injector problem they have. i cant believe i didnt hear about this before i bought it. so many people are having this problem and what, no recall? toyota are quick to recall something that isnt going to cost them much but they really need to look at this. C'mon Toyota, injectors and brakes...... DO SOMETHING!. Cant wait for the new ad campaign, "THE NEW TOYOTA HILUX.....UNFIXABLE!"
Carp

Postby MattJ on Sat, 29 Oct 2011 6:14 +0000

My Lux, has had a similar problem. So far Toyota has replaced the Thrust and also put in a new set of gears..

The noise still exists, but probably to a lesser degree as far as the sound level and frequency. It mainly occurs when the vehicle is cold. Wondering if anyone has had success with their similar problem?
MattJ

Postby v8victor on Sun, 27 Nov 2011 6:22 +0000

Hi, i have a 3l d4d manual hilux over here in the uk, i have had it from new, its a 2007 model, when cold the gearbox rattles as discribed, when the clutch pedal is pressed the noise goes, when hot there is no noise, also if you apply a little pressure forwards to the gear lever when in neutral at idle the noise goes as it does if you raise the idle speed a little, personally (based on over 30years repairing cars etc) i believe it is down to clearance when cold on one of the gearbox shafts creating "backlash" which becomes correct when the box is warm hence no noise then, i have changed the oil a couple of times and added "slick 50" friction reducer but it did not improve it.
whilst it is annoying i do not believe it will become a problem as i have heard other makes of commercial gearboxes that make the noise all the time. i have mentioned it to a couple of toyota dealers but they do not have a solution to it.
also when the truck was new it developed the injector rattle and had a fresh set fitted so i am not confusing noises. hope the above helps, Geoff.
v8victor

Postby jimO on Sun, 27 Nov 2011 1:53 +0000

wouldnt be such a big issue if the hilux was in the middle of the price range but its not, you pay top dollar you should be able to expect top quality, my 06 dc hasnt gone 100000ks yet but its had.....new injectors, clockspring, leaking waterpump.......we have had a 96 honda accord thats done 280oooks everything works and apart from replacing the cambelt the engine hasnt been touched
jimO

Next

Return to Drive Train Components