Which Lockers?

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Which Lockers?

Postby jogal on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 7:14 +0000

Hey guys i'm currently doing my homework on which lockers to fit to my lux.My ? to you guys is if you had to fit one to start with would you go front or back? bear in mind i'm mainly on soft sand! second ? is i was almost convinced to go wth the arb air locker but now iwas told to go with a true tracker what do you guys think?:-)
jogal

Which Lockers?

Postby Doug67 on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 7:53 +0000

I have the the ARB front air locker don't know about the true traker. the reason I went the front was for every day driving, the LSD better for driving on the forest roads than a rear on demand locker. I've done some hard km's with out problems but read http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=327
Doug67

Which Lockers?

Postby Dave on Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:46 +0000

Hi Jogal

Is a locker really for you? with a locker and sand driving, you are not really going to benifit much except for getting more bogged than ever, least without a locker, it will only be always one front wheel and one back wheel digging down, easier to unbog than a vehicle with both front or back wheels burried completley... lockers won't make much difference on the beach unless your driving up some large offset rutted out sections of sandy dune/tracks. You will find that you will only benifit with a locker if you drive into the hills where the rocks, mud and hill climbs are. hope that helps!
Dave
Site Admin

Which Lockers?

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 23 Mar 2007 6:13 +0000

Jogal, I have the ARB rear locker installed in my ute. I do not believe you would need a front locker. I have been in some very compromising positions with this truck and my last ones...(all had rear lockers) I have only had to be recovered when the mud just got too deep, no fault of the locker... the driver on the other hand...well maybe it was my fault..LOL anyway, I would definitely go the ARB Air locker in the rear. Use the money you would have spent on the front locker and put it against a decent winch.. Your vehicle will be unstoppable.. As for sand driving... Dave is exactly correct... lockers will just dig you in when in the sand... Just remember lockers are only there to give added traction... if the dirt/mud/rocks or sand won't support that added traction...then lockers won't help much... on the sand momentum is your friend ( without going excessively fast) and you will go further with correct tyre pressures on sand than with diff locks.. Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Which Lockers?

Postby jogal on Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:27 +0000

Thanks for the reply guy's think i stick with the arb air lockers sounds like thats what most people are using. I was out today in some narly tracks which was awesome but those side steps (originals) are crap bent them like coke cans hahha looks like i'll have more money to spend at arb soon.
jogal

Return to Drive Train Components