Outer cv boot clamp

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Outer cv boot clamp

Postby hiluxdan on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 8:42 +0000

I had Toyota replace my inner boots due to wear about 3 months ago. Stuck my head under yesterday to find grease seaping out of one of the outer boots. Rang toyota to take it back on friday but want to know what i'm talking about.
Would they have removed the outer to get to the inner or does the outer stay on the shaft as they remove it?
Already had a cv shop replace the clamp but its just as bad, they say to replace the boot. Not spending anymore on it if it's toyotas fault.
Any suggestions, i'm just not sure on the process of how the inners are done?
Thanks
Dan

Edit: Checked it out again and since cv shop replaced the clamp it does'nt look quite right(can't compare otherside cos it's an aftermarket one). It looks like the boot is squashed right in towards the wheel, heaps tighter than it was before.
you can see that the boot is sitting down inside a machined recess. There is another ring machined about 15mm further out along the shaft, i'm sure i couldn't see this before so i'm thinking that's where the boot was clamped before. I took it back to the cv shop today but the block says its right where it is the clamps just don't tighten up real well on the plastic of the outers once they age and harden up a bit.
Can someone please check their factory outer boot/shaft and tell me if you can see this machined ring around the shaft.
Thanks
Dan
Last edited by hiluxdan on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 2:06 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
hiluxdan

Re: Replacing inner cv boot Q

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 29 Jul 2009 8:54 +0000

Pretty sure when they remove the entire shaft from the front diff, they would slide the inner boot out the inner side of the driveshaft and not touch the outer at all......maybe they somehow damaged the outer when removing or reisntalling........either way, if its still under warranty get toyota to do it....

or just say to them...I didnt have a problem with my outer now I do after you guys worked on it......its more common for the inner to wear/leak than the outer.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Outer cv boot clamp

Postby hiluxdan on Thu, 30 Jul 2009 11:00 +0000

Spent a bit of time under the truck today. The way it looks, the lip on the boot that holds it in the groove on the shaft is worn so no matter how tight it's clamped it still slips, new boot on monday.
Dan
hiluxdan

Return to Drive Train Components