Air Filter Upgrade

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Air Filter Upgrade

Postby chris anton on Sat, 27 Jun 2009 8:38 +0000

Hi Gents,

I have just finished some testing on air filters 05 V6 manual Dual cab everything stock 29" tyres
tested on a Dyno Dynamics chassis dyno in 4th gear with standard air temp, humidity and air pressure
correction in shoot out mode.

With new paper element 141.8KW
With no air filter element 145.3KW
With K&N air filter 143.7KW

Thess figures are an average over two dyno runs per change.

Before I start a war please note the dyno runs were done in shoot out mode which means it is just the speed
of ramp applied on the rollers this method does not load the drivetrain too quickly so it is a bit more
forigiving on the vehicle, but in my expirience it tends to read on average 10% higher than other dyno
ramp rates.

Conclusion does it feel different, I took it for a good fang afterwards I think I feel something much higher in
the rev range where I dont really drive like that but just thought I would pass on this info

P.S Vehicle had Shell 98 octane fuel

Chris A
chris anton

Re: Air Filter Upgrade

Postby 9W6VX on Sat, 27 Jun 2009 2:53 +0000

Confirm what I have always felt but not substantiated via dyno readings.

I get this seat of the pants feeling that the K&N air filter does give slightly better performance over the standard paper element air filter.

But, in extremley dusty conditions, I would use the original air filter over the K&N due to the fact that the original air filter is more restrictive.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Return to Drive Train Components