Manual Lockin Hub Conversion

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Manual Lockin Hub Conversion

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 7:55 +0000

Guys,

Just came across this on the Downey 4x4 Website in the US.. No it is not for our current model Hilux but the previous shape tacoma's, but I thought it interesting enough to post up and to stimulate discussion on the topic.

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/ChassisComponents/MiscDriveTrain.html
So the dealer talked you into a new 4WD Toyota truck with ADD (automatic differential disconnect). Now you find yourself contending with performance loss, mileage loss, additional wear on your 4WD components (even in 2WD), and significant limitations on suspension travel and lift. Even worse, there’s no inexpensive way to install unlocking hubs on your ADD vehicle. Downey has taken a couple steps toward bringing down the price tag of converting from ADD to unlocking hubs:
First, we established ties with the off-shore suppliers of the components needed for this conversion.
Second, we assembled a bare-bones conversion kit, it does not include items from your present ADD system that can be reused with the manual hub system (i.e. you can reuse original axle shafts and wheel bearings.

Now your 1996-newer TOYOTA truck can accommodate up to 31/2” of suspension lift with virtually no CV joint buzz at freeway speeds, and you’ll get better mileage to boot!
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Re: Manual Lockin Hub Conversion

Postby Quinny34 on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 8:16 +0000

Wouldn't this apply to either ADD and non ADD vehicles....

ADD is in the dif housing isn't it and on both ADD and Non ADD utes the CVS spin with the wheels regardless?
FCCW
Application for G##C membership REVOKED
quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny34
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dluxv6 on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 8:57 +0000

Guys
i wish someone would develop f/w hubs for our trucks , make life easier

Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Brookster on Thu, 23 Apr 2009 9:18 +0000

I couldn't agree more, Drew. I reckon free-wheeling hubs would be the go. You can feel the gyro-effect of the spinning shafts and diff through your steering (I've got the SR without ADD).
Simon
IF A MAN TALKS IN THE FOREST AND THERE IS NO WOMAN TO HEAR HIM, IS HE STILL WRONG?
Brookster

Postby Drew on Sun, 26 Apr 2009 2:05 +0000

Yeh i have been thinking about this for a while, save abit on fuel, pick up power and save the cvs from turning all the time. Not hard to lock a hub. But its the same old story where do you stop lol... money better spent on other mods.... i need lockers and a chip lol
Im not stuck..... Im thinking
Drew

Return to Drive Train Components