Front v's rear locker

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Front v's rear locker

Postby Jack S on Sun, 13 Dec 2009 9:09 +0000

just fell across this thread and read the whole bloody thing!
let me tell you its like reading a novel there is that much info :D .

just one thing thats got me confused if what the difference between the SR and SR5 with drive coponents?
and what would be better to purchase....
Jack S

Postby doubleshot on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 2:52 +0000

:roll: sounds like "go the rear cause the fronts to dear" :lol: just kidding, when i got my lockers i went and had a play on a big dam i have and my sons mx track i couldnt believe where the lux would go just in 2wd with the rear locked up, but i wasnt carrying any load :shock:
doubleshot

Postby Quadcams on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 4:20 +0000

Would be good if Harrop did a Tru-trac for the Hilux, had one in my last car, awesome LSD, real positive power to both wheels, bacically is a locker but with some slip, then run the E-locker in the front, that would be a great allround setup.

Wade
Quadcams

Postby rodw on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 6:47 +0000

How things change. I raised this thread when I was thinking of adding one locker but when I got round to it, I ended up slipping two in! :lol:

I think though I would have done the front If I had of only done one
Last edited by rodw on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 6:50 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
rodw

Postby Dluxv6 on Tue, 16 Mar 2010 6:47 +0000

Quad cams
sean72 has just put a tru-track in the rear from eaton i think
same mob as my Elocker

Drew
'If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking.......
how come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time
Dluxv6
Platinum Subscriber

Postby outbackjack on Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:47 +0000

i think my money is on the eaton E Locker...they make kick ares gearboxes and diffs for trucks,so i think i would stick with a good thing.
outbackjack

Postby D4D for ME on Fri, 09 Apr 2010 9:28 +0000

Only just came across this thread. 4WDAction did a locker comparo a few months back and they actually used a dual locked late model Hilux. They tried all sorts of obstacles unlocked, then with the rear locked only, then with the front locked only. The results clearly pointed to the rear being the most beneficial. I fitted both to my ute as ARB had some corker deals going last year but in all honestly I use the front one bugger all compared to the rear. Probably just scared of smashing CVs I suppose. Monstor Rides is hopefully gonna cure that phobia with the beefed up units that they're developing at the moment. ;)
The beatings will continue untill the morale improves.
D4D for ME

Postby rodw on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 7:31 +0000

D4D for ME wrote:Only just came across this thread. 4WDAction did a locker comparo a few months back and they actually used a dual locked late model Hilux. They tried all sorts of obstacles unlocked, then with the rear locked only, then with the front locked only. The results clearly pointed to the rear being the most beneficial. I fitted both to my ute as ARB had some corker deals going last year but in all honestly I use the front one bugger all compared to the rear. Probably just scared of smashing CVs I suppose. Monstor Rides is hopefully gonna cure that phobia with the beefed up units that they're developing at the moment. ;)

That may be the case with dual lockers but you with the rear locker fitted, you have lost your LSD. Some guys have told me that after fitting their rear locker, they have to engage their locker to tackle stuff they could drive earlier with the LSD. This could have skewed the test results.

I still think if you are only fitting one, and think you will will fit both in the long run, the front is the way to go but if you only want one in your car at the end of the day, maybe there is a case to fit the rear subjuct to your driving style and application which I think has been discussed earlier in this thread.
rodw

Postby Ox Man on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 7:53 +0000

rodw wrote:
D4D for ME wrote:Only just came across this thread. 4WDAction did a locker comparo a few months back and they actually used a dual locked late model Hilux. They tried all sorts of obstacles unlocked, then with the rear locked only, then with the front locked only. The results clearly pointed to the rear being the most beneficial. I fitted both to my ute as ARB had some corker deals going last year but in all honestly I use the front one bugger all compared to the rear. Probably just scared of smashing CVs I suppose. Monstor Rides is hopefully gonna cure that phobia with the beefed up units that they're developing at the moment. ;)

That may be the case with dual lockers but you with the rear locker fitted, you have lost your LSD. Some guys have told me that after fitting their rear locker, they have to engage their locker to tackle stuff they could drive earlier with the LSD. This could have skewed the test results.

I still think if you are only fitting one, and think you will will fit both in the long run, the front is the way to go but if you only want one in your car at the end of the day, maybe there is a case to fit the rear subjuct to your driving style and application which I think has been discussed earlier in this thread.

Rod, as we all know our LSD's are worthless as it is and most on here I could safely say are no longer working, do you think we should all have our LSD's replaced or re shimmed and then only throw a locker up front? I think sean72 did this... he had a true LSD put in the back in preparation for a locker up front....

tough call mate.... makes perfect sence though.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby rodw on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 4:26 +0000

[quote="Ox Man]
Rod, as we all know our LSD's are worthless as it is and most on here I could safely say are no longer working, do you think we should all have our LSD's replaced or re shimmed and then only throw a locker up front? I think sean72 did this... he had a true LSD put in the back in preparation for a locker up front....

tough call mate.... makes perfect sence though.[/quote]

I reckon that after 40,000 km, mine was still working quite well, I noticed it not being there when I got fitted the lockers just driving round town.
rodw

Postby Lancair on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 7:29 +0000

I've just clocked over 50,000k. My LSD is still working great. I'm tempted to up my diff ratios and slip a front locker in at the same time.

Lancair
Lancair

Postby Ox Man on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 7:43 +0000

matter of time fellas...... matter of time.
"These words carry so much weight they would break a less awesome mans jaw..."
Ox Man

Postby rodw on Sat, 10 Apr 2010 8:10 +0000

Lancair wrote:I've just clocked over 50,000k. My LSD is still working great. I'm tempted to up my diff ratios and slip a front locker in at the same time.

Lancair

Go for t mate. That was my plan too until Matty at Monster Rides ofered to help me out. Ryano at Fourby's reckoned that was the way to go and the front diff is harder to fit than the rear so it makes sense to do this if you are changing ratios, then do the easy rear locker install alter down the track.
rodw

Postby D4D for ME on Mon, 12 Apr 2010 6:23 +0000

Just give the VISA card a decent flogging and do them both :o . Then go wheeling straight away, before the statement gomes in ;) . At least once you've driven with them it'll remove the temptation to pull them out and ebay them to pay your bill. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The beatings will continue untill the morale improves.
D4D for ME

Postby Oz Bruiser on Fri, 01 Oct 2010 10:09 +0000

Although this is an old thread and i cant comment on my new lux as im yet to get it dirty(waiting to get a bar on front and at least a tow bar at rear for a recoevry point both ends just in case) Im my old 92 Rigid front and rear axel'ed lux had air lockers front and rear. I know modern lux's arnt rigid front ends normally. In my old Lux i would throw it at more challanging obstacles than i would be game to throw my new one at based on capabilitiesof a rigid axeled front end vs and ifs front end.

In saying that i also used my rear air locker far more often than my front. Generally i only used my front when i had opposite wheels off the grond on heavy inclines and for braking on declines when again was likelyhood of lifting a wheel into the air.

I tended to drive open diffed more often than having lockers engaged as i didnt want to rely on the confidance of a locker and also in the event off loosing an air line or a locker in a dmanding situation i liked that obstacles could be got around without needing a locker by choosing a better line.

Soemone , cant remeber who at begining of this thread mentioned with a locket they could pretty much drive any line they wanted with front and rear lockers. I would agree with that statment.

I had air lockers my mates Auto lockers(detroit and lock rite). They both worked equally well. I know im comparing a rigid axel lux to an ifs but the principle of using a locker is still the same. They are worth their weight in gold and if you can have both thats the ideal world and personal choice is a big factor. I think personally if i have a good working LSD i would go front first but if there was a weak link in my lsd i would definitly go rear first.

As i said i use to use my rear more than my front, but again i wouldnt do the same types of terain in this new lux compared to the old.

Hope this is usefull to someone.
Oz Bruiser

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 02 Oct 2010 4:38 +0000

Oz Bruiser wrote: In my old Lux i would throw it at more challanging obstacles than i would be game to throw my new one .......

.................. but again i wouldnt do the same types of terain in this new lux compared to the old.

give it time my friend, once the polish wears off....you will :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby troyco on Thu, 20 Jan 2011 7:31 +0000

My 20c worth is go the rear first no matter what driving you could be doing. I have done - and doing a fair bit of 4x4ing in mud and water crossings, slippery roads etc and have found - with the weight I carry in the back the rear locker to be excellent. as I said my 2 bobs worth. I have the ARB locker and compressor.
troyco
troyco

Postby deffer64 on Fri, 21 Jan 2011 4:20 +0000

ok so if i do front locker first what brand have you found to be best suited to the ifs front end cheers darryll
deffer64

Postby Hilux Max on Fri, 21 Jan 2011 4:43 +0000

re read the thread......ARB is the only option for the front.

and to quickly summarise the findings of this thread from all that have contributed....if you have to choose one locker to fit the following is usually the breakdown -

FRONT - if you do most of your wheeling recreationally with your lsd rear end and empty to low weight in the rear.

REAR - if your wheeling/touring with alot of weight over the rear axle alot of the time.

thats the findings in a nutshell.

both is always better but if you can only go one then thats pretty much it. :ugeek:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby deffer64 on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 6:15 +0000

Thanks all for your input will let you all know what i do and how it all goes Cheers Darryll :) :) :)
deffer64

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components