Front diff/CV issues on new hilux's

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 2:13 +0000

G'day all,

Just thought I'd start a discussion here for us all to cover this aforementioned topic as time goes on Im coming across and hearing more and more reports of hilux CV's blowing aswell as front diff's even thou the current front diff is an 8 inch as opposed to the previous models 7.5".

A thread was started on 4x4 action forum about this particular issue as new hiluxs on the mines are continuously blowing CV's and they dont know what causing it?

we have heard of Harris BM's issues which is why he live axled the front end, and I think some others have had issues too.

Now I understand what some may say - driver abuse
-tyres too big
-CV angle too large

But could there be other reasons for this?

Im pretty sure Harris had a front locker when he blew his front end, so does a front locker actually help or is it forcing stress to other components instead?

Do we need to regear our hilux's rather than push them with bigger tyres and stock ratios?

Regearing would allow you to crawl in low range with bigger tyres within your powerband rather than needing some speed to get up an object.

I know Yuri have some sort of strengthening treatment for the outer CV joints at 150bux a side - has anybody here used them yet?

Just thought Id start this discussion off since it does affect so many of us here and maybe, just maybe we can come to some sort of "median" as to what causes this to happen? terrian?mods?driver etc

also how many kilometres have your hiluxs covered when this happened?

Maybe we do have a strength/quality issue with our hilux front ends? :-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 4:19 +0000

I havent blown one yet and I am not looking forward to the day that I does happen.
I believe the locker increases the stress in the C.V, particulary on full lock. Turn your Hilux to full lock and get have a look at the CV angle it is almost pulling it out of the joint on the wheel. If it is under huge torque and locked it stands to reason the joint is the weakest point.
The front diff is still tiny in my option and is made from cast material not manufactured from tube and webs like the rear. I dont now if ADD weakens them or not I am only speculating.
Mark
Skog07

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 4:49 +0000

Might be an option possibly if our hiluxs are lifted to fit steering limiters of some sort?

But then again, how much are we to limit it?

Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 5:59 +0000

Mine has a pretty poor turning circle as it is. Wouldnt like it decreased.
Skog07

Postby Brett B on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 7:43 +0000

Another angle to look at, do the CV boots tear and the operator dosent notice (or care) and dirt ingestion cause the failure ?

I ripped a CV boot over in WA, I drove into some bushes and staked it

When I had it repaired the Toyota dealer (Albany) explained that the mines were constantly tearing the boots.

My CV had a small hole only and we noticed it quickly by the grease up the side of the car and on the front of the camper, I taped the boot with good old duct tape until I could get to a dealer, did many miles offroad with the boot taped up was all good.

While the grease was coming out I figured no dirt was going in and taped it, you would want to catch boot damage quick though :-)
Brett B

Postby Doug67 on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 7:47 +0000

I read the story you are speaking of last week on 4wdAction. I think it's hard to tell wheather an air locker make's them weaker or not. A person with a locker is not spinning tyres to get up something but a person with a locker will try harder terrian. The jury is out as far as I'm conserned. Don't forget Harris said his front end was bent coursing his cv's to break.
I was keen to get some of the yuri cv's as spares but did not want to buy any new ones as our trucks are'nt to old so most second hand ones should be in good condition. I don't now of many people here who have broken a cv we must drive like whimps.
Doug67

Postby McSumWay on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 8:35 +0000

I don't think Doug drives like a whimp!!!

I think a lot does come down to the way you drive.

These are not rockcliming trucks and we shouldn't expect them to do it.

They talk about the problems with mining trucks - these vehicles are FLOGGED DAILY with no regard for their long term care. They are using them where they would have used a troopy before. There is no way these are anything near as tough as a troopy.

Drive it like you OWN it not like you stole it!
I have nothing good to say down here so I wont say anything at all
McSumWay

Postby Hilux Max on Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:11 +0000

I like that last line....pretty much sums it up for me. 8-)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Return to Drive Train Components