Rear disc brake conversion...

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Postby olcoolone on Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:04 +0000

Why do you want to got to disc brakes in the rear?

Regards Richard
olcoolone

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 1:38 +0000

Coz the bloody things wont stop ,
jackolux

Postby Chris Thomas on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 5:58 +0000

Load her up with all your camping stuff, fill up the fuel,load in mum and the kids then find a decent hill
and then you will know why we all want a disc brake rear end
Chris Thomas

Postby olcoolone on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:55 +0000

Converting to rear discs doesn't mean you will stop quicker.

Rear brakes are mostly used to stabilise the vehicle.

80%of your braking is from the front.

Why not try a different pad compound.

I don't have an issue with the brakes, sure they aren't as good as our STI Subaru or our Celica GT4 club car but then again it's not a race car.

Our Hilux weighs 2600Kg.

I would upgrade the fronts way before I started looking at the rears.

Tyres also play a big part.

Why not try braided brake lines because around 15% is lost through the rubber ones.

Regards Richard
olcoolone

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 1:15 +0000

Converting to rear discs doesn't mean you will stop quicker.

Rear brakes are mostly used to stabilise the vehicle.

80%of your braking is from the front.

Why not try a different pad compound.

I don't have an issue with the brakes, sure they aren't as good as our STI Subaru or our Celica GT4 club car but then again it's not a race car.

Our Hilux weighs 2600Kg.

I would upgrade the fronts way before I started looking at the rears.

Tyres also play a big part.

Why not try braided brake lines because around 15% is lost through the rubber ones.

Regards Richard

Yeah I thought ya might say that ,and you very well might be right , but I have talked to TJM at Seaford and they claim that they have converted a few tradesmen's Hi-Lux's that carry heavy loads and there is a big improvement with just the rears

The boss at TJM has his done and I just take a drive down there and take it for a test drive

My Lux wont even stop with the std tyres and the 255x70 tyres make it worse , and thats without a load

Braided brake lines ,yeah might be worth a try ,any idea what they might cost
jackolux

Postby Skog07 on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 2:14 +0000

I do tend to agree with OLC.
The new lux is a commercial ute with plenty of power and drives like a car. And Toyota markets it as AUV. Action Utility Vehicle. And is selling them faster than they can produce them from the factory. I do think the motors now, a 4l V6 and the d4d are fantastic but leave a shortfalling in design as a family wagon with braking issues.
Jackolux what do you put on the back. I am a tradesman, and do tow this regulary.

It stops fine just dont expect it to stop like a sedan, remember its a commercial ute. And the trailer has override brakes and just sneaks over 2250kg. Drive accordingly.
Skog
Skog07

Postby david allan on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 8:43 +0000

braided brakes woul;d set you back around $150 for the rear one

snake racing sell them
david allan

Postby david allan on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 8:53 +0000

would the LSPV be eliminated with disc brakes
david allan

Postby jackolux on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:35 +0000

I dont carry much at all in my Lux ,just a bit of camping gear at times

LSVP , please explain
jackolux

Postby olcoolone on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 5:07 +0000

What happens if you have a crash and your brakes are non ADR approved, converting to rear discs is a big mod in the terms of the RTA around Australia.

Why not give Race Brakes Australia a call and see if they can recondmend a better pad.

You first have to find out why your brakes aren't up to scatch.

Is it because of pad compound are you getting brake knock, are you loosing pedal travel, are you getting glazing.

What happens to the brake bias and does the ABS still work correctly.

I would still look at the fronts first.

Regards Richard

olcoolone

Postby acdc on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 8:28 +0000

Alcoolone,
Are you a pastry chef?
Because your brake knowledge is not that good. 80% on the front!
acdc

Postby jackolux on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 8:58 +0000

I have been told its all ok to change to disc's on the rear ,but if ya have a look at the Vic Roads web site , my suspension lift and wheels and tyres are illegal , so is the gps stuck to the wind screen
jackolux

Postby HiruxHijinx on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 9:08 +0000

Hrmmm,
My brakes are fine, and yes, having owned, other late model 4wds, WRXs, and about 8 other vehicles, I think they are still what I would expect from a car like this.. it is never going to be a lambo, especially with limited ability to grip due to low rear end weight...?
I would have to agree with olcoolone, bigger front discs and better pads if you are that keen?
Or buy a Porsche Cayenne, those puppies have some serious braking hardware... 8-)

Sam.
HiruxHijinx

Postby jackolux on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 9:14 +0000

Nah the brakes are shit , don't care what ya reckon

Just wait until ya have been driving around a winding road with a few ups and down and ya brakes are nice and warm and really have to stop
jackolux

Postby olcoolone on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:58 +0000

Jaclolux that more then likely point to the wrong pads compound for what you are doing.

Factory pads are designed to stop you when they are cold and when they are hot and last 50 to 100000 kilometers and not screw your discs under warranty.

You might want to try something like EBC Green Stuff brake pads if they make them for the Hilux or you could get the compound bonded to you disc pads, might be the best $300 you will spend.

If you went to a better pad with a higher temp range you will find they work better when they are hot to very hot, the down side is they will not work as well when cold and may damage your disc by causing gouging and heat cracking.

Our race car has really bad brakes for the first 10 minutes of brake use but after that they are fine, good enough to get the discs glowing red and still stop hard.

The problem we have is we only get 1000 to 2000k out of the discs. ACDC instead of saying I know nothing about brakes which I have to agree with you 100%, why don't you set the story straight and correct me with your knowledge!

A normal car that has a 60/40 weight distribution should have around 60% of it's braking at the front, a Hilux that is front heavy when unloaded like most would have a weight distribution of maybe 70/30

If you had anymore bias to the rears they would lock up before the fronts due to lack of grip from the back tyre when the weight transfered ( I know weight is not the right word to use, weight is equal to Mass times Acceleration so I should use load) to the front causing the ABS to go stupid, this is why the have an adjustable bias valve on the rear diff to compensate when the vehicle is full or empty adjusting the amount of front bias.

Heres a question for you if you change the suspension and get harder springs and shockers will it apply more bias to the rears or to the fronts when under braking, the weight transfer will be the same but the pitch of the vehicle will be on a flatter plane?

Regards Richar
olcoolone

Postby jackolux on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 8:10 +0000

Cant find any info this LSPV thing ya talk about

Ya better fill me in what ya talking about
jackolux

Postby TOMUCH on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:31 +0000

LOAD SENSING PROPORTIONING VALVE (LSPV). Its the thing that rod connects to , that comes off the Rear Diff...
Guys I too find the brakes to be a bit lacking... but I aggree that most of the braking effort is placed on the front wheels. However, I have adjusted my rear LSPV to buggery, and have had it measured at Toyota, They told me they had to back it off heaps, as the rear pressure was way higher than the front... but even then, I could not get he back wheels to lock up on bitumen.... I am only running 31s with a 2 inch lift, so it is not massive.. I do however have extra heavy rear springs...and I do carry a fair bit of weight around all the time.. I also believe that the car would benifit from rear discs, and bigger front discs, but to do that, you must have 16inch rims.. so new rims and tyres (If you own a SR5) need to be factored into the budget.. just tomuch at this time... I must asy though that if I jump on the brakes unexpectedly, the brakes perform very well for a second or so, then tend to fade out very quickly... I flushed my brake fluid and its still the same..might try the Bendix titanium strip pads.. and see how they go..
Brendon, have you fitted yours ?? did they make much of a difference?? CHeers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Postby 9W6VX on Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:09 +0000

Mark,

Good evening to you mate.

Nah, the Bendix brake pads are still sitting in my study room.

Just don't have the time to do it yet.

I think I have got used to the irritating noise from the front end. Anyway, the front ones are also Bendix but they are the Metal King variant which is meant for heavy loads.

They are definitely better than the original disc brake pads in my opinion as they tend to fade less but the downside is that there's lots of brake dust on my wheels and of course the bloody noise!

As an example, there was one particular stretch of hills which always caused my brakes to fade and shudder when I was going downhill with a medium load. I could always replicate this whenever I travelled on this stretch.

After changing to the Bendix Metal Kings,the fade was greatly minimized and the brake pedal shudder disappeared.

I can live with the brake dust on the wheels but the noise was the factor that made me ask Mark for a favour to send over to me a set of the latest Bendix 4WD disc brake pads which are specifically made for 4WD's.

I will post a report once I change them.

Cheers

Brendon
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby 9W6VX on Sat, 19 Apr 2008 12:16 +0000

And may I add that changing the front rotors to DBA stuff might also improve performance of our brakes.

DBA has the crossed, slotted variants. Not sure which would be better though but I remember reading somewhere that having both the crossed and slotted is not suitable for our 4WD's.

Cheers
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Postby jamiecracker on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 8:22 +0000

has anybody tried the prado brakes on the front yet???
jamiecracker

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components