Rear disc brake conversion...

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Is Toyota falling behind the 8 ball?

Postby Shaker on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 7:46 +0000

Very, very cool Rod. I book marked that site and will keep and eye on it. I hope they sell wholesale or the components are available wholesale in Q'ld when they come out... Beware of ebay rubbish they say.
Shaker

Postby rodw on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 7:54 +0000

Shaker wrote:Very, very cool Rod. I book marked that site and will keep and eye on it. I hope they sell wholesale or the components are available wholesale in Q'ld when they come out... Beware of ebay rubbish they say.

I don't think this is an imported kit. It is available now, so send them an email for a price.
rodw

Postby Shaker on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 8:01 +0000

I'm going to choof off an email now. Will keep you posted on price in this thread unless you already know, but postage would be a around $150 to Brisbane I recon.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby H20PRF on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 8:15 +0000

Shaker,

I asked them back in march mate below is there reply

"Hi Darren,
None in stock at the moment, but can get them airfreighted quickly no problem, rear kit $1200.00 front $600.00 any mechanic can fit them, no drilling or welding etc, front maybe 1hr back 3hrs"

Cheers

Daz
H20PRF

Postby Shaker on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 8:22 +0000

H20PRF wrote:Shaker,

I asked them back in march mate below is there reply

"Hi Darren,
None in stock at the moment, but can get them airfreighted quickly no problem, rear kit $1200.00 front $600.00 any mechanic can fit them, no drilling or welding etc, front maybe 1hr back 3hrs"

Cheers

Daz

Thanks for that. Maybe the price has changed since, maybe there is a more direct place to buy them from and have them imported yourself. I sent that email and awaiting a reply. As you can see, I'm all over this and is a major win for us. Onyas!

$1200 still worth it compared to drum brakes. What size rim you need for the fronts? Anyone know?

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby toyboata on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 8:25 +0000

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Nice one!
I had spoken to a mob who does similar in Bayswater but they needed to see my vehicle...so obviously develop one for it...nup. Good to see an engineer approved kit.....although there are no details on the Hilux one there yet i will call them and find out....if its got approval then im getting one for sure......then i can go get my whole vehicle engineered as i really should, having fitted the Smart Lift already.......and haven't let the insurance company know of ANY of my many mods yet :oops:
toyboata

Postby H20PRF on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 8:57 +0000

This Mob, definatly does the conversion

http://www.outbackaccessories.com

Cheers
H20PRF

Postby toyboata on Wed, 04 Aug 2010 9:12 +0000

Yeah they're just round the corner from my workshop. They use the imported kit from Thailand though so i will certainly investigate the Hoppers Stoppers
cheers
toyboata

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 7:10 +0000

H20PRF wrote:This Mob, definatly does the conversion

http://www.outbackaccessories.com

Cheers

sent em an email to inquire bout the fronts
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Shaker on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 1:15 +0000

In regards to brake upgrades, please take note:-

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hoppers Stoppers got back to me after a quick inquiry:-

Hello B****, This is Shanon from Hoppers Stoppers,

We have done some of the Hilux rear drum to disc conversion sets.

First of all I need to know what purpose you use the Hilux for and the reason or "what you would like to achieve" buy doing a disc brake conversion.

With this information I will be able to advise you accordingly.
Thankyou for your enquiry...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

So my I sent them some information:-

Hello Shanon,

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, that's an odd question as to why I need them I thought considering your selling them... all I can think as to why you ask is supply needs to justify demand. I go off road frequently, I have heavy duty suspension, tyres and wheels with Bridgestone 254/70R16D694LT (legal limits for Q'ld) and travel nation wide with heavy loads. Aside from carting water and additional fuel, my tent alone weighs 85kg. I'm close to GVM already, but not wanting to push that too much. I'm also towing unbraked loads as well at times. The current brakes are not very good. Our roads where I am a teeming with wild life, especially at night where the is road kill everywhere and had a few close calls over the last couple of years myself with wallabies and large roos, but unfortunately, there is often unavoidable animal strikes and some hares and birds have met their demise. So if there is anything worth doing to improve the brakes, I will be willing to seek those avenues.

I see you have access to front disk upgrade and assuming the disk diameters are larger, would be also a preference to switch these over. All of this with 16" rims in mind.

Regards,

B****.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They replied again:-

Hi B****, the reason I asked is because our design was built specifically for a mining application, id rather not sell you something if I dont think its going to be what you want or expect.
It is built more for an issue of drum brakes wearing out when they are emersed under mud.

It does not give more braking power to the rear and the handbrake will not work if you have a heavy load or trailer. Therefore this kit does not seem suitable for what you are trying to achieve.

We do design and build custom brake kits, we have looked at the front of the 4wd Hilux but having the 4wd hub makes it too complicated.

We generally dont do these types of vehicles.

Best Regards,

Shanon Boult
Hoppers Stoppers
9 Nevada Court
HOPPERS CROSSING VIC 3029
PH: 03 9748 6950
FAX 03 9748 5965

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So there you go. Tell them you love rolling in mud and don't tow an unbraked trailer and you may have some luck. They are correct in what they say though. Buying these must warrant necessity. Therefore, no quote was given and nothing was gained.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby Hilux Max on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 2:04 +0000

Thanks for the feed back B**** ;)
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby toyboata on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 4:44 +0000

i got a quote from hoppers today for the rear disc conversion kit $1400. Disc brakes will perform better in the mud and wet, but Shaker you are right that they said the handbrake will be no better than the standard one on the drum brakes. I do believe however than although it wont be more grippy then the standard one, it should work the same all the time as being integrated into the caliper it will always stay in adjustment and not go out/loose nearly as quickly as a drum brake handbrake does.
They said that the main reason its more suited for mining apps is because they dont rely on handbrakes too much as they usually just park up against shit.
If there is enough interest for this kit with a decent handbrake then they may consider developing a kit that includes a tailshaft-mounted disc with caliper off the gearbox to use as a handbrake as they have done for their landcruiser kit. SO PUT IN SOME REQUESTS GUYS and we might get a very worthy rear disc conversion kit.
toyboata

Postby Shaker on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 5:06 +0000

So how is it you got more info then me? Not fair :? That was the handbrake they were referring to, but the disks would be better and improve the situation you guys have. If there is enough interest they say. Sounds to me like this needs to go to a group buy thread and get a list of people interested so an email can be submitted with all of this. However the expense behind it would only be worth while of every person interested was into rolling in mud. $1400 is quite steep and it would cost much more with having to brake the tail shaft as well. There may be issues with that setup by hitting by a rock or dirt mound and bending the disk and causing binding problems... hmmm.

With this in mind, reliability is an issue. A bent tail shaft disk hand brake would be a serious thing to happen and disable the vehicle. It would have to be a small disk up near the gear box meaning tail shaft modifications and balance issues if it were located there, otherwise it's a big no from me no matter where they put it.

Shaker.
Shaker

Postby toyboata on Thu, 05 Aug 2010 5:52 +0000

Actually you make a very good point about the reliability issue there Shaker. You're right, if the tailshaft disc got badly damaged you'd be in trouble, I didn't even think about that. I know the imported kits use a brake shoe inside the disc drum as a handbrake which would be much better, and they are cheaper.....might investigate...as long as it can pass engineers scrutiny then i may consider that option instead.
As far as front brakes.....the right pads can actually make a lot of difference, i've always had very good experience with Lucas TRW metallic pads on previous vehicles. I'd love to put larger rotors on and re-locate the calipers but i cant because of the steering knuckle re-enforcement bracket on my smart lift kit.
Sorry to admin for getting this thread way off topic!
toyboata

Re: Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Postby Parr on Fri, 06 Aug 2010 6:19 +0000

Mine is getting rear disc conversion done by bubs, he is using GQ discs and Subaru pads. Its a fraction of the cost you have all been quoted, but this may be due to the amount of work he is doing at the same time.

Ill have a talk with him on the weekend to see if he would do it again and a cost for just the breaks.
Parr

Postby paul6108 on Fri, 06 Aug 2010 8:35 +0000

I agree the lack of rear brakes is poor.
I haven't looked into this topic but why can't a earlier pajero rear be fitted?
paul6108

Postby doubleshot on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 6:15 +0000

You city boys keep researching, im keen for an upgrade, but i might as well pee into the wind out here trying to get info on trying to get a conversion :shock:
doubleshot

Postby mkwell on Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:07 +0000

doubleshot wrote:You city boys keep researching, im keen for an upgrade, but i might as well pee into the wind out here trying to get info on trying to get a conversion :shock:
Just received an aftermarket rear disc brake conversion kit from Thailand. Looks a quality product. See http://www.runstopbj.com/rear_brakekit.htm. It is a 320mm disc for my 16" steel rims. At the same time purchased the upgrade to the front disc's which are upsized to to a 330mm vented and slotted rotor with ceramic pads. Hope to be fitting the disc conversions next week. Happy to let you know how they perform if you country lads are interested.
mkwell

Postby Bull on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 5:25 +0000

Sure,we're always interested. 8-)
Bull

Postby 3dhilux on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 8:57 +0000

one of my mate is in the process of doing rear disc on a ln106.the bottom of page 15 where the build starts
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/showt ... 30&page=15
web wheeling since 2009
drunken engineering
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Drunken-e ... 9040101915
3dhilux

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components