Lockers and LSDs

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Lockers and LSDs

Postby Higherlux on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 4:06 +0000

You guys know by know I really don't know a lot about the mechanics of what goes on underneath, so here is a silly question for you.
I have read other posts that say the LSD ( I know what it stands for) "goes". Question is how do I know it has "gone"?
On the weekend we did some wild hills with a club i am in, but struggled at one point with the back fishtailing from side to side ( I have that on video and will figure out how to put it up sooner or later). Did this mean it was working, or not working?
BTW, the wife jumped out to video the climb (Insert was scared), and announced to all and sundry that "thats it, we are getting Lockers!!!", after an 80 series walked up the same hill. Yeehah.
So now I look up Locker threads on here and see different locker systems. ARB one is air operated, and there is a Detroit locker; which is better? front; rear or both? I have to strike while the iron is hot!!
Sorry for sounding like a bean, i just have never really done all this before (thats why I am looking at this excellent website)
Tim
Higherlux

Lockers and LSDs

Postby 10K on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 5:28 +0000

Tim,

Fear not Mate... you don't sound like a bean. Far from it actually. Remember there are no stupid questions.... just fools that answer them!!

I would urge you to get a ARB Air Locker for the rear. I am yet to install one, but have certainly missed it in places.

As for the front... reading a few of the other threads has scared me from installing a front locker. It would seem that if you are pushing the truck hard enough to need it, something will break.

I'm sure a few of the other members will have some better info on the front diff, but IMHO the ARB air locker is the only way to go for the rear. They are heads and shoulders above everything else.

Good luck with whatever you do... perhaps your Mrs might have a chat to all of the other ladies who control the Hilux modification budgets of our fellow members!! Shes got the right idea!

Cheers
Matt

Lockers and LSDs

Postby 9W6VX on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 6:22 +0000

To test if your LSD still works, try this:

Find a spot where there is wet grass. Park the Hilux with one rear wheel on the wet grass and the other rear wheel on the tarmac.

Engage 1st gear and give the go pedal a bootful. If the wheel on the wet grass continues to spin without transferring traction to the other wheel on the tarmac, then your LSD is kaput! If it is able to transfer traction to the other wheel on the tarmac, the LSD is still working.

Bear in mind that the trasfer to the wheel with traction is not instant. That's why it's called Limited Slip!

Differential lockers are the way to go for ultimate 100% traction as they are locked instantly.
Cheers

Brendon
73 de 9W6VX
9W6VX
Site Admin

Lockers and LSDs

Postby Doug67 on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 7:41 +0000

This question is like asking what type of car is the best so five different people will give you five different answers. If your talking 100% lockers arb airlockers are used by 99% of people simply because most people have heard of them and availability around the country.I think I'm the only one here with anything but the ARB airlocker in the rear unless somone has the Toyota electric one overseas. You could install the ARB and TJM air locker front and rear (not sure TJM have one for our 4b), Detroit & Locka ( Locka cheap and crude) rear only for our 4b.I'm sure there would be other lockers as well. There's plenty of people here running front airlockers without problems, I had the front only for twelve months prior to installing the Detroit in the rear and the front by itself was pretty good in my book, ive heard arguments for pushing and pulling and I'm not buying into the argument I can see it both ways. To see if the LSD is not working jack up under the rear diff and lift of the ground then spin one wheel if the other wheel does not spin your lsd is 100% stuffed. If the other wheel does spin have someone hold one wheel whist you try and spin the other, if you can spin your wheel whilst the other wheel is still I would say your lsd is on the way out. It would be good for someone with a new Hilux and see how much pressure it takes to spin the wheel. On a gravel road with a good lsd you'll notice when pushing through under power going sideways the car will keep turning further, if your lsd is not working too good under the same condition the inside wheel just spins without creating the extra turn in. Sorry if this is hard to understand but that's the way it feels to me.
Doug67

Lockers and LSDs

Postby Skog07 on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 1:14 +0000

The detroit still looks good in my opinion. I reckon with the winch on the front on my Sr I can push and drag myself up most tracks with a Detroit.Even though when I first started to fit the Lux out wanted ARB lockers front and rear. I can also spend the extra $$$$ on recovery gear or a tow out of where I am stuck. Haha
Mark
Skog07

Lockers and LSDs

Postby TOMUCH on Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:12 +0000

I have the ARB AirLocker on the rear of mine... would not put one in the front IMHO... too weak... and you may have trouble with destroying CVs... Yep it really comes down to personal preference and how big your wallet is... Personaly I have never had a Detroit or similar .... but have driven Cars that do... and I would take my Air Locker over them any day...Plus you have the added bonus of being able to pump your tyres up after a big day out on the dirt / sand/ rocks... whatever...lol....Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Lockers and LSDs

Postby jcarter on Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:40 +0000

what would be really nice would be factory fitted electric lockers.
jcarter

Lockers and LSDs

Postby Lately Lux on Wed, 16 Jan 2008 2:21 +0000

Go the ARB Air Lockers front and rear, you will never look back! Most of the guys I know that compete wouldn't use anything else, that's enough of an endorsement for me.

Yes, Hilux front diff/axles/CV's are weak. They always have been. And yes, if you are pushing the ute far enough that you NEED the lockers you would probably have broken something without them. So why not get the lockers and break the CV's while having even more fun, you were going to break the CV's anyway!!! But I have yet to break a CV in anything. I've been through a few Hiluxs' both single and dual cabs and an FJ40 SWB. I have bent the short end of the diff hoising in one hilux belting through rock filled mud holes, and totally destroyed the FJ40 rerar diff and axles by doing burnouts and doughnuts on bitumen, but no CV's YET. I'm sur I will one day though.

The down side of the front locker is that it reduces your steering quite a bit. There wers some tight tracks down at Crystalvale 4WD park that I had to turn the front off so I could get around the bends. But there have been tracks elsewhere that the front locker has helped pull me around slippery corners.

From this point on I will have ARB Air Lockers on any and all 4WD's I own for my use, be them 'family wagons' or 'toys' or both.

Have a look at a couple of the photo's in my profile, the vehicles without lockers weren't able to get up that one where my wheel is in the air.

Brett :evil:
Lately Lux

Lockers and LSDs

Postby adrian on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:11 +0000

Hi guys, I was lookin to install a locker in the front but by the comments have had a turn around and will almost certinly install in the back first. How have you gone with the install of the compressor under bonnet? (where exactly) if you could send some photos or link would be greatly appreciated. i want to install dual batt next week and want to keep in mind any restrictions. I have 3lt di
Thanks for any feedback
Cheers Adrian
adrian

Lockers and LSDs

Postby TOMUCH on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:53 +0000

Adrian I have a set of tray drawers in the back and have my compressor fitted in beside that... under the bonnet.... not real sure where there is room... but hte ARB / TJM guys sould be able to help you out there... Cheers TOMUCH
DONT FOLLOW ME ...... YOU WONT MAKE IT !
TOMUCH

Lockers and LSDs

Postby Skog07 on Thu, 17 Jan 2008 7:58 +0000

Hi Adrian.
I have mounted my compressor in front of the brake reservoir. I have checked your profile and it doesn't mention which model you have. If you have an Sr you shouldn't have a problem as there isn't the Abs controller in the way. Also there are plenty of tapped inserts in there so there is no need for drilling holes. I find its in a good place easily accessible with plenty of room. Had the dual batt. fitted last week. It goes on the l.h guard. Behind the main fuse box. I got the ARB, its tidy and also provides a good mounting point for the injector driver module as well. I have heard of some dual batt mounts cracking the guards, there is topic in the forum on this. I can email some pics if you wish. I have been having no end of trouble trying to upload pics into my profile.
Regards
Mark
Skog07

Return to Drive Train Components