Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Roj00 on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 6:31 +0000

Hi first post here.

I have a strange noise when I engage my clucth on my 2011 d4d, the noise goes away when I release the clucth.
Even if I engage the clucth in neutral not moving it will make the noise.

Any help would be appreciated!
Roj00
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 2:38 +0000
Location: Auckland


 

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 6:37 +0000

Thrust bearing on the clutch. ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy
 
Posts: 2162
Joined: Tue, 07 May 2013 2:00 +0000
Location: South Coast NSW and all over Oz

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Roj00 on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 6:57 +0000

Ok, and how likely is that to leave me stranded on the side of the road? Should I get it fixed asap? My clucth is still good so it would be a shame to get it done unless I need to do the clucth as well. Its done 140000km.
Roj00
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 2:38 +0000
Location: Auckland

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby 241steve on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 8:23 +0000

it its not slipping id let it go until I couldn't stand the noise. I don't live in a city or drive in peak hour traffic.
241steve
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2020 11:32 +0000
Location: morwell victoria

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 9:33 +0000

Probably won't leave you stranded, it's just a dry bearing and as Steve said if you can put up with the noise it could go for sometime. Gearbox needs to come out, but while it's out consider replacing the clutch with heavy duty and new thrust bearing on the clutch fork. It's most likely the fork thrust bearing.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy
 
Posts: 2162
Joined: Tue, 07 May 2013 2:00 +0000
Location: South Coast NSW and all over Oz

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Roj00 on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 10:13 +0000

Is it possible to install a heavy duty clucth without increasing the effort needed to push the clucth in? It Doesn't bother me but my partner would struggle with anymore effort needed on the pedal.
Roj00
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 2:38 +0000
Location: Auckland

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 25 Aug 2021 12:07 +0000

There's a thread here somewhere about the hd clutches. I drive an auto so no interest to me. ;) Click below

viewtopic.php?t=15091
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy
 
Posts: 2162
Joined: Tue, 07 May 2013 2:00 +0000
Location: South Coast NSW and all over Oz

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby andreimircea on Wed, 20 Sep 2023 2:31 +0000

Hi guys I have change mine at 260k, brand new AISIN clutch kit, and after that i got this rattleing noise on idlle, soon as push the clutch down its stops. Some say its the pilot bearing, but i wouldnt hassle with the gearbox again, without beeing sure, so any advice its much apreciated,


Thanks hilux 2014
andreimircea
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:28 +0000
Location: Europe

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:47 +0000

andreimircea wrote:Hi guys I have change mine at 260k, brand new AISIN clutch kit, and after that i got this rattleing noise on idlle, soon as push the clutch down its stops. Some say its the pilot bearing, but i wouldnt hassle with the gearbox again, without beeing sure, so any advice its much apreciated,


Thanks hilux 2014


What you describe sounds like soft springs in the pressure plate or maybe a loose thrust race. See the other post. It's really hard to diagnose a noise from only a description.
Rob_Wood
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 8:32 +0000
Location: NSW

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby andreimircea on Sat, 14 Oct 2023 2:50 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:
andreimircea wrote:Hi guys I have change mine at 260k, brand new AISIN clutch kit, and after that i got this rattleing noise on idlle, soon as push the clutch down its stops. Some say its the pilot bearing, but i wouldnt hassle with the gearbox again, without beeing sure, so any advice its much apreciated,


Thanks hilux 2014


What you describe sounds like soft springs in the pressure plate or maybe a loose thrust race. See the other post. It's really hard to diagnose a noise from only a description.


Thanks mate, i have uploaded the noise here https://imgur.com/a/O8Zp0Xu

dont know what you mean by thrust race :(
andreimircea
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:28 +0000
Location: Europe

Re: Clutch noise only when clutch is engaged

Postby Rob_Wood on Sat, 14 Oct 2023 6:06 +0000

andreimircea wrote:
Thanks mate, i have uploaded the noise here https://imgur.com/a/O8Zp0Xu

dont know what you mean by thrust race :(


Thrust race = Thrust bearing.
Check engine and gearbox mounts.
Rob_Wood
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 8:32 +0000
Location: NSW


Return to Drive Train Components

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests