Why extended CV's?

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Why extended CV's?

Postby rory18 on Mon, 30 May 2016 4:16 +0000

Do not buy extended CVs they aren't beneficial and actually bind when at full droop. Stick to standard length or genuine ones. Can usually pick up low Kay genuine ones for $100 from wreckers
rory18
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bkstravel on Mon, 30 May 2016 4:24 +0000

If factory driveshaft is "x" length....where does the extra "x+20mm" go when the shaft is in horizontal position? it binds on the inner cages as many have found out.

The factory shaft is designed a certain length to suit the upper and lower control arm length through the full range of suspension travel.

The only reason anyone would need extended cv shafts is if they fitted replacenent upper and lower control arms to suit that extra length.....like in a wide travel kit such as total chaos or the like. Any other reason is just a Wank, to fool you from parting with your hard earned cash.

also imo genuine cv's still seen to be the strongest and best wearing,(cheap secondhand from wreckers) unless u wanted to part some cash to rcv cv's. but then you loose the week point in your driveline and will do diff's rather than cv's.
bkstravel

Postby Rocket55 on Mon, 30 May 2016 4:28 +0000

Exactly!!

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but by my reckoning there's no way the wheel can get any further away from the car, as it's still connected by the same UCA and Lower control arm, it simply moves through a radius. So if the same fixed length UCA can reach the wheel and the same length LCA can reach the wheel, why wouldn't the same length drive shaft continue to reach the wheel?

I chalk it up to advertising hype. Happy to be proven wrong.
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby shamat on Mon, 30 May 2016 4:33 +0000

Isn't there some adjustments in the alignment? I know there is in the LCA. Not saying its possible. Just trying to understand.

Sent from my HTC 2PST1 using Tapatalk
shamat

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 30 May 2016 4:50 +0000

Not that much adjustment! Adjustment is mm where longer shafts your talking cm. Lift does make its easier to break them but 9 out of 10 of them r broken by your right foot!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby shamat on Mon, 30 May 2016 5:59 +0000

I drive like a snail LOL
Its the inner joint that shattered. Lots of wheel lift I think pushed the cv past it's operating angle and it popped.

shamat

Postby shamat on Mon, 30 May 2016 6:22 +0000

Thanks for all the information. What you all have said makes a lot of sense.

I've done a bit more research and found out the inner joint has 70mm of "play". That is the shaft can move in/out 70mm as the outer CV moved along its arc.

The extended shafts apparently sacrifice some of this "play" and add it to the shaft length.

A 20mm longer shaft still has 50mm of "play" inside the inner joint. I have no idea if this is enough.... but at least I now understand how its supposed to work [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

shamat

Postby Hilux Max on Sat, 04 Jun 2016 5:16 +0000

bkstravel wrote:If factory driveshaft is "x" length....where does the extra "x+20mm" go when the shaft is in horizontal position? it binds on the inner cages as many have found out.

The factory shaft is designed a certain length to suit the upper and lower control arm length through the full range of suspension travel.

The only reason anyone would need extended cv shafts is if they fitted replacenent upper and lower control arms to suit that extra length.....like in a wide travel kit such as total chaos or the like. Any other reason is just a Wank, to fool you from parting with your hard earned cash.

also imo genuine cv's still seen to be the strongest and best wearing,(cheap secondhand from wreckers) unless u wanted to part some cash to rcv cv's. but then you loose the week point in your driveline and will do diff's rather than cv's.

That sounds very familiar :roll:
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby jordanhilux2006 on Sun, 12 Jun 2016 9:37 +0000

And correct me if im wrong but if you have a lift with standard UCA's and LCA's with these extended cv's, when driving around normally you have even more angle on your cv boots and wear them out quicker again.
jordanhilux2006

Postby shamat on Tue, 14 Jun 2016 2:03 +0000

jordanhilux2006 wrote:And correct me if im wrong but if you have a lift with standard UCA's and LCA's with these extended cv's, when driving around normally you have even more angle on your cv boots and wear them out quicker again.

That is incorrect. The shaft travels into the inner CV joint to maintain the same angle.
Out of curiosity I put an extended CV in one side and a standard in the other to see if there were any differences in CV Angle or binding anywhere in the arc of wheel travel. The CV Angles were exactly the same at rest (on the ground, with the extended shaft allowing further droop (until it bound at full droop).
shamat

2" lift associated components

Postby Red80 on Sat, 13 May 2017 6:43 +0000

Hi all,

I've been looking at buying a spare cv shaft as a just in case for a trip away and there seems to be extended length versions available for lifted suspension. Are guys running around an2" lift changing out the cv shafts as well or running the stock items?

Is it worth the effort in a diff drop for a 50mm lift? Or are the cvs holding up after time

Fairly new to lifted ifs trucks
Red80

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 13 May 2017 7:08 +0000

Threads merged

Hi Red. There is a bit of info here on extended CV's.
If looking for information on how cvs are holding up after time there wont be any Gen 8 accounts here just yet
Many with Gen 7's that have played around with IFS .
Carry on here

Addit - The best insurance from a 50mm lift will be a front diff relocation/drop to keep CV angles neutral and prevent premature wear. Have a search for diff drops 8-)
DeadlyBeast

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components