ARB Airlocker

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: ARB Airlocker

Postby Homer72 on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 4:43 +0000

Sam I would be interested to know that as well. Had front & rear fitted to the new Hilux in June.
Mark ;)

"You only live once, but if you do it right once is enough"
Homer72
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ARB 4X4 Accessories on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:37 +0000

Hi Dave, the HiLux was one of the first models to be updated. Both the two piece design and the forged gears have been part of the HiLux Air Lockers for several years. ;)

Cheers, Sam.
ARB 4X4 Accessories Head Office
ARB 4X4 Accessories

Postby jacent on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:32 +0000

i have a rear air locker does anyone know how much better the hilux will go with front locker? I have gone from a landcruiser to a hilux but hope it will be just as capable off road
jacent

Postby BIGFOOTJR on Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:06 +0000

ARB I entered the competition to win two lockers, make sure I win ok? Cheers!
BIGFOOTJR

Postby kyle300exc on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 6:01 +0000

jacent wrote:i have a rear air locker does anyone know how much better the hilux will go with front locker? I have gone from a landcruiser to a hilux but hope it will be just as capable off road

The Hilux is a hell of a lot more capable combining a front locker with a rear locker. It also is of great benefit for your truck as it saves a lot of bouncing and sliding reducing the punishment of the IFS front end. However and I'm not trying to put a dampener on your purchase but its logical that the solid front is more durable than an IFS in more extreme situations. I have had to rebuild my front diff after bending the axle sleeve on my hilux as the front locker CAN allow the diff to wonder slightly in a climbing situation but as I said it was in an extreme situation.
My advice would be to get the Front locker but be mindful its not a solid axle.
Kyle

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
kyle300exc

Postby ARB 4X4 Accessories on Mon, 02 Dec 2013 12:38 +0000

BIGFOOTJR wrote:ARB I entered the competition to win two lockers, make sure I win ok? Cheers!

:D
ARB 4X4 Accessories Head Office
ARB 4X4 Accessories

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:18 +0000

kyle300exc wrote:
jacent wrote:i have a rear air locker does anyone know how much better the hilux will go with front locker? I have gone from a landcruiser to a hilux but hope it will be just as capable off road

The Hilux is a hell of a lot more capable combining a front locker with a rear locker. It also is of great benefit for your truck as it saves a lot of bouncing and sliding reducing the punishment of the IFS front end. However and I'm not trying to put a dampener on your purchase but its logical that the solid front is more durable than an IFS in more extreme situations. I have had to rebuild my front diff after bending the axle sleeve on my hilux as the front locker CAN allow the diff to wonder slightly in a climbing situation but as I said it was in an extreme situation.
My advice would be to get the Front locker but be mindful its not a solid axle.

I'll add onto Kyles comments aswell.

A dual locked Hilux (assuming you have clearance and good traction tyres) will go almost anywhere.

The thing with the front locker, you must use it sparingly when required.

As well as making your vehicle alot more capable, it will also, in unexperienced hands cause you to blow front driveshafts much easier.

From my personal experience, I only use the front locker with the steering wheel straight ahead and not turned any more than the 10pm and 2am positions. If you need to turn your wheel more than this, disengage the front locker, turn, when you are ready to straighten up and continue forward momentum, re-engage front locker and go.

The front locker will load up both front cv's alot easier, and depending on the traction of the surface will spit a shaft out much easier when binded (binded as in both shafts are loaded up against a high traction surface, not binded as in full droop)

Touch wood - still on original cv shafts .
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby Parr on Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:34 +0000

Sam wasn't the old style air locker a 2 piece, arb then updated that with the newer 3 piece?

so they have gone back to the old 2 piece?

have they solved the issues with the engagement ring not engaging far enough?

I only ask these questions because I treat mine quite badly (have broken the rear locker) and have been recommended to try and get the older "stronger" lockers, as they engage with alot more meat. Or upgrade to a higher pressure cut off switch 135psi, but I then run the risk of blowing seals.
Parr

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:54 +0000

Tom,

I run the 150psi switch and have since my regear a year or so ago.

I havent blown any seals yet. I was reccomended to get it because others reccomended that the engagement ring being smaller on current model airlockers, will hold better, stronger, longer with the biger switch.

You shouldnt be blowing seals with the 150psi switch as from memory ARB tests the lockers to a much higher pressure.

The twin cylinder airlocker runs 150psi standard so this shouldnt be the cause of seals blowing......

Sam,

Would be great to get Daniel Bonghard registered on this forum to contribute.

Daniel is the chief engineer for the airlockers at ARB.

There was a great thread on the Mudrhino Forum earlier this year I beleive bagging the new design airockers on Patrols. Daniels contribution to it and the background info he provided and experience I beleive would help alot of people on this forum greatly.

Sam, on a slightly different tangent, the Patrol guys have sourced larger and stronger engagement rings for the patrol airlockers from the USA that allows them to crash lock the airlockers in racing.......

(Crash Locking - when you flick the switch to activate the locker whilst under power)

Just wondering has ARB ever tested these bigger engagement rings and will ARB be offering any upgrade parts for their current airlockers in the future similar to this?

Thankyou for your input.

What
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby sharp018 on Thu, 18 Apr 2024 1:00 +0000

Hi guys I have a ARB Airlocker fitted to both front and rear diffs

A while ago now I was out bush with some mates and I was snatching my mates out of bogg holes in which I turn my air lockers off becuase of strain especially when jolting the cars out. Anyway I managed to have left the rear locker engaged and as I snatched the GQ out

My rear diff blew the air compressor just keeps pumping air over and over and not holding. And there was lsd oil leaking from the front seal of the diff. Which at the time all I could have done was silicone it from underneatch which worked

Anyway my question is I havnt yet got my air locker fixed and some day ill be driving along and I get this awful big bang that jolts my car.

Only happens every now and then, could thos be the airlocker possibly engaging at random times? Like just slipping to engage
sharp018

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components