Questions regarding the (Hilux N70)

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

Questions regarding the (Hilux N70)

Postby OGHalo on Mon, 23 Oct 2023 8:10 +0000

Good Day, I'm from Alberta Canada and I plan to import a 05-09 Toyota Hilux 3.0L diesel N70 in the next year or two from Thailand to Canada.

I have a few questions regarding the model and the engine itself when it comes to maintenance, I never owned a diesel before and was wondering what to lookout for. I am fully aware that the model in Thailand doesn't have heater core only A/C, this will be mainly my spring, summer, fall vehicle, worst case is that I run aftermarket heater in the vehicle instead of dealing with taking apart the dash.

Any pacific year of the Hilux N70 that I should avoid and is the Hilux compatibility with the Tacoma like the suspension and etc.
Last edited by OGHalo on Mon, 23 Oct 2023 8:55 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
OGHalo

Re: What to look for (Hilux N70)

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 23 Oct 2023 8:42 +0000

I don't have ALL the answers you seek, however there was a bloke in Canada who imported a Hilux from Asia a year or 2 back. He added in the heater coil, I don't recall where he got it from, but if you're interested in reading the thread it might give an indication of how difficult it was to fit.
Rob_Wood

Re: What to look for (Hilux N70)

Postby OGHalo on Mon, 23 Oct 2023 8:56 +0000

Rob_Wood wrote:I don't have ALL the answers you seek, however there was a bloke in Canada who imported a Hilux from Asia a year or 2 back. He added in the heater coil, I don't recall where he got it from, but if you're interested in reading the thread it might give an indication of how difficult it was to fit.

Do you have the link to the tread, that would be much appreciated.
OGHalo

Re: Questions regarding the (Hilux N70)

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 23 Oct 2023 4:40 +0000

His username is "CDNN70". If you do a quick search for his posts then you'll come across this thread fairly easily. I don't recall him posting very often, so it should be easy to find.

<EDIT> "Because the truck was from Thailand it only came with Air Con so I needed to install and swap over the heater box from a aussie spec parts truck."
This was a comment in one of our Private conversations, maybe this'll help?
Rob_Wood

Postby OGHalo on Tue, 24 Oct 2023 7:07 +0000

Funny enough is that I was just talking to him on reddit lol
OGHalo

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 24 Oct 2023 10:00 +0000

OGHalo wrote:Funny enough is that I was just talking to him on reddit lol

Small world & all that. 8-) :o :?
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Thu, 26 Oct 2023 9:39 +0000

my mate said theres nothing compatible between Hilux and tecoma.
Why would you drive a right hand drive car in a left hand drive country? A turn out in a left hand drive car here killed a few members of my family his excuse was he was trying to overtake. I think you have too much faith in toyota's made in Thailand Im not impressed with my 2007 hilux its a pos compared to the first Hilux I had or the prado I had after that ,its the little things keep breaking .
241steve

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 26 Oct 2023 5:22 +0000

Have a look at this build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=31403

The thai Hilux is more robust than a Tacoma. The Tacoma is generally regarded as a Hilux lite.. for example the c-section chassis in the taco vs the full box chassis in the Hilux.

Some parts are compatible - you can compare part numbers at partsouq or other sites.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby OGHalo on Sat, 28 Oct 2023 6:34 +0000

241steve wrote:my mate said theres nothing compatible between Hilux and tecoma.
Why would you drive a right hand drive car in a left hand drive country? A turn out in a left hand drive car here killed a few members of my family his excuse was he was trying to overtake. I think you have too much faith in toyota's made in Thailand Im not impressed with my 2007 hilux its a pos compared to the first Hilux I had or the prado I had after that ,its the little things keep breaking .

Because I can and two, I have been driving rhd for the last 3 years no issues. I get that you lost family members over that situation but that's not going to stop me from driving a rhd vehicle in Canada. This is Hilux forum where people are here to ask questions and show off there builds and etc, not trying to question other's as to why they want to do this all because what had happened to you in the past, This is my choice at the end of the day, I'm here to ask question and get as much information on the Hilux n70 that I can gather not hear you asked me why I want to drive a rhd vehicle in Canada. If you don't like what I have to say that's not my problem.

The only thing I got from you that I appreciate and will consider once I import a Hilux is

Answer: "my mate said three's nothing compatible between Hilux and Tacoma."
My Response: Thank you for confirming.

Answer "I think you have too much faith in Toyota's made in Thailand I'm not impressed with my 2007 Hilux its a pos compared to the first Hilux I had or the Prado I had after that ,its the little things keep breaking"
My Response: I go by this golden rule As long as I keep up with the maintenance and fix any issues before it get's worst the vehicle will treat you good.
OGHalo

Postby 241steve on Sat, 28 Oct 2023 12:32 +0000

My Response: I go by this golden rule As long as I keep up with the maintenance and fix any issues before it get's worst the vehicle will treat you good
good luck with that I'm sick of spending money on mine. Keeping up with little things that break which happens more than any other car I've ever owned. It was the drivers seat belt the other day for me.
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:32 +0000

241steve wrote:good luck with that I'm sick of spending money on mine. Keeping up with little things that break which happens more than any other car I've ever owned. It was the drivers seat belt the other day for me.

Sorry to hear that. Does Victoria have "Lemon" Laws?
I've heard in general media that some states are beginning to introduce Lemon Laws to cover purchasers of the "occasional" lemon vehicle that seems to get loose.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Mon, 30 Oct 2023 4:57 +0000

Does Victoria have "Lemon" Laws? They only apply to new vehicles not 15 years old . I know A Few blokes with 2008-2014 hiluxs that have spent lots of money on them just fixing stuff before they got to add fun stuff.
I probably should add all competitors in the same price range are the same.
Its the clutch slave cylinder today for me its weeping or leaking making near impossible to select reverse when cold .
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 30 Oct 2023 6:44 +0000

241steve wrote:Does Victoria have "Lemon" Laws? They only apply to new vehicles not 15 years old . I know A Few blokes with 2008-2014 hiluxs that have spent lots of money on them just fixing stuff before they got to add fun stuff.
I probably should add all competitors in the same price range are the same.
Its the clutch slave cylinder today for me its weeping or leaking making near impossible to select reverse when cold .

Clutch slave cylinder is something I'd look at a wreckers for. If it's on their shelf, (and not still in the vehicle) then chances are they've saved it for a reason. Even if you throw a kit through it, there's not much to them. Relatively easy to sus out what might be going on.
Rob_Wood

Postby 241steve on Mon, 30 Oct 2023 7:00 +0000

It's rooted I just brought a new one from Toyota. I gave up using 2nd hand mechanical parts from the dunger yard as they never last and a year or 3 later I'm doing it again .This way I shouldn't ever have to touch it again fingers crossed.
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Mon, 30 Oct 2023 11:09 +0000

241steve wrote:It's rooted I just brought a new one from Toyota. I gave up using 2nd hand mechanical parts from the dunger yard as they never last and a year or 3 later I'm doing it again .This way I shouldn't ever have to touch it again fingers crossed.

I get where you're coming from. If you've got the coin to get genuine bits then it's certainly the way to go.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 31 Oct 2023 6:19 +0000

Gee Steve what do you expect from a 15year-old hilux? It's not exactly a new vehicle! Some parts wear out after time so it's not surprising you have replaced a few bits.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 31 Oct 2023 6:23 +0000

OGHalo wrote:Good Day, I'm from Alberta Canada and I plan to import a 05-09 Toyota Hilux 3.0L diesel N70 in the next year or two from Thailand to Canada.

I have a few questions regarding the model and the engine itself when it comes to maintenance, I never owned a diesel before and was wondering what to lookout for. I am fully aware that the model in Thailand doesn't have heater core only A/C, this will be mainly my spring, summer, fall vehicle, worst case is that I run aftermarket heater in the vehicle instead of dealing with taking apart the dash.

Any pacific year of the Hilux N70 that I should avoid and is the Hilux compatibility with the Tacoma like the suspension and etc.

OG, from what I know and have experienced the 2015 hilux has all (most of) the problems sorted. My 2013 has been great so :D far.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby 241steve on Wed, 01 Nov 2023 5:44 +0000

what do you expect from a 15year-old hilux? It's not exactly a new vehicle! Some parts wear out after time so it's not surprising you have replaced a few bits.
rear diff center
timing chain
clutch
all the suspension
water pump
rear main
alternator
drivers seat belt
serpentine belt pulleys
theres heaps more
I've brought half a car with sauce I'm about to go buy some wheels and tyres next. ok I haven't spent alot compared to some blokes. One of the work cars got $5k worth of injectors the other day its a 2017 model.
On a vehicle that has 205K' km on it?
241steve

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 01 Nov 2023 7:39 +0000

241steve wrote:what do you expect from a 15year-old hilux? It's not exactly a new vehicle! Some parts wear out after time so it's not surprising you have replaced a few bits.
rear diff center
timing chain
clutch
all the suspension
water pump
rear main
alternator
drivers seat belt
serpentine belt pulleys
theres heaps more
I've brought half a car with sauce I'm about to go buy some wheels and tyres next. ok I haven't spent alot compared to some blokes. One of the work cars got $5k worth of injectors the other day its a 2017 model.
On a vehicle that has 205K' km on it?

Timing chain & Water pump go hand in hand most times, but with clutch, Diff, belt pulleys, Rear Bearing, suspension & Alternator indicates wear and tear for a vehicle that's been worked hard. Drivers Seat Belt indicates it was probably a Site vehicle, maybe a mine or some other heavy industry.
Depends on the site, you might also find a few other things in coming months.
Rob_Wood

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 01 Nov 2023 1:13 +0000

Kilometres travelled might also give a few clues, and yes it very much depends on how it's been used and serviced. Seat belt?? That indicates a rough life. :shock: Taking a hilux for a swim doesn't help either. Back in the 70's I bought a 12 month-old falcon panel van (see my shed) and couldn't figure out why it had new carpets until I found sand in the quarter panel and looked back at recent events... Floods in Bathurst gave a clue, back in those days cars could be written off and then sold 2nd hand. Still I got 10 years out of it, only rebuilt the diff and auto transmission. Probably water did that too :? But seatbelts worked fine, and the next owner got another 10years.
Gipsy

Next

Return to General Discussion