2016 4 Lt v6 auto dual cab fuel figures

General discussion of basically anything related to the 2015> Hilux

2016 4 Lt v6 auto dual cab fuel figures

Postby kinigo270 on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 2:42 +0000

Hi guys, calling all current model v6 dual cab owner ( preferably owners with a winch bar and canopy installed)
Need some advice before purchasing new sr5.

Please provide details around fuel figures for your current model v6 4 Lt AUTO Hilux.

Details I am after are:
1) In town / city real figures / total k's per tank or milage etc...

2)Country driving figures / extra urban

3) does a canopy and arb winch/bullbar increase overall consumption by much?

3)Also after estimated service costs so I can compare against the 2.8 diesel auto. For example, will a diesel cost me more over 10 years in servicing cost?

Note: Ks traveled for me per year are quite low and prob under around 5,000 per year.

Will a petrol be more cost effective for my situation. No towing needed just the odd camping trip etc.

Wasn't sure if such a thread already existed for the new auto v6.

Appreciate if you can provide some comments on this.

Thank you
kinigo270

Re: 2016 4 Lt v6 auto dual cab fuel figures

Postby cranno on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 5:44 +0000

May not be that relevant due to being older model. 2006 petrol manual hilux with a tradies aluminium canopy and about 220 kg of gear and a roof rack that averaged 15l/100km on a mix of city and highway driving.
Have now got piece of crap PX2 ranger with an auto that has got the same canopy and load that was on the hilux that is averaging12.5 l/100km doing the same sort of driving. I am driving the ranger with fuel consumption in mind so you could probably add another litre /100km if I drove it like the hilux.
I certainly would not discount the petrol motor as they are nicer to drive and I had no trouble at all in 9 years.
When towing a glass 6m boat the diesel is a lot better consumption.
cranno

Postby kinigo270 on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 7:54 +0000

Thanks Cranno, definitely not ruling out the petrol just yet. My friends 08 d4d died while out bush and needed to be sent back to Sydney on a truck. Injectors over fueled, piston damage and up for a full rebuild. After seeing this motor die first hand, possibly leaning towards a petrol.
kinigo270

Postby mcflux on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 9:23 +0000

I think at 5000kms/year you won't need to worry about any differences in fuel consumption.

Servicing is capped at ($180?) per service interval over the warranty period. I'd daresay the petrol engine would be cheaper for parts as you don't have DPF, diesel injectors, etc to deal with, and the petrol engine should be less sensitive to low grade fuel.

The biggest two factors you'll have would be the cost difference at purchase, and when you sell it on. How long would you be planning to keep the new Hilux for? I'd be checking out sales prices for used Hiluxes, and treat that as a rule-of-thumb for 4.0 petrol vs diesel Hiluxes at X years in the future.

Another factor might be the 4.0 petrol may take longer to sell, but that's something to worry about in the future. I'll face a similar hurdle in the future when I eventually sell; I saved $ on purchase by getting a Hi-Rider, but I'm assuming when I sell, the used 4x4's would sell fine but used Hi-Riders won't be in high demand.
2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Postby taresk on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 4:58 +0000

You can expect about 2lt/100km more fuel use than the diesel, but with the difference in fuel price that is hardly an issue (it will happily run on any grade of fuel).
It's pretty much the same engine/ transmission as the previous model, so safe to say you will not see any real difference in economy when fitting a canopy/ bullbar, and pretty much all information regarding the Gen 7 V6 auto's will also apply to the Gen 8's.
The only things that would impact fuel use would be larger tyres or something bulky on the roof.

As mcflux said, with capped servicing your only real consideration is purchase price and resale (although when I bought mine there was very little difference in used prices between the D4D and the V6).

If you do plan to keep it long term, the real advantage will become apparent when capped servicing ends, as there isn't much that goes wrong with these engines and servicing costs are minimal.
taresk

Postby Hilux Max on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 5:59 +0000

What McFlux and Taresk stated......I considered a V6 as well, and would have been convinced if toyota brought out an upgraded version (more power/torque or a V8 alternative).

But with mods/bigger tyres etc, and I dont plan on onselling mine, diesel makes more sense to me.
Hilux Max
Valued Contributor

Postby mcflux on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 7:33 +0000

Following up on my last post:

A quick check on http://www3.toyota.com.au/hilux/prices shows no difference in pricing between the 2.8 D4D & the petrol 4.0 V6, and you're limited to the SR/SR5 dual cab auto 4x4 models if you want the V6. Slight cost reduction for 2.8 D4D with manual.

This is all RRP straight off the website mind you.

If the petrol model was several thousand cheaper to buy I'd say it would've been a no-brainer, but I think you've got a difficult choice now. I guess if you're likely to be in areas out bush where there's crappy diesel then maybe petrol's the way to go, you'll just have to make do with the petrol V6 being a little thirstier in general, & not as good at towing (but still capable).
2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Return to General Discussion